Muslim Woman Sues Chicago Police

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2016, 10:04 PM
RE: Muslim Woman Sues Chicago Police
(15-08-2016 09:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 08:45 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Here is a bit of reality check on your post. No, you don't choose where you live when you are poor. Most of the time, you are born poor and you are forced to live in the worst places because you can't afford to live in a better one. No, you can't just «work your way out of it». The main reason for that is that you are born poor. The schools you must attend to suck, you don't have access to parascholar activities and your parents are neither the most knowledgeable, experimented and present people. This means that any person with roughly equivalent skills born in a more privilege family will have de facto access to much better tools and a much better environment to make him a more productive and successful member of society. They will succeed with much less effort than any poor person of equivalent skills. Determination, confidence, willingness to take risks and hope aren't things you are born with. You develop those values and are taught them. Even poor people could move away, they would move in another shit hole with similar issues. Yes, its the State responsibility to provide to its citizens their basic needs from clean water, electricity, access to basic healthcare, education and protection. Redistributing the wealth of a society to meet the basic needs of all its members is the most important responsibility of any democratic government. Yes, this means richer people must help poor people to pay for their basic needs. If they don't, their grand children might very end at the wrong end of a guillotine blade.

This may be true in general, but I was poor as piss on a plate as a kid, and did manage to work my way out of it. I had a minimum wage employment out of high school, until I joined the US Navy. I had minimum wage employment after I got out, and worked that (and another minimum wage job) while at the university until I got a job as a mechanic and was able to earn a living while only working 20 hours a week (supplemented by the GI Bill). My father had an 8th grade education, my mother, 9th grade. YMMV. Careful how big a brush you use.

Can we get a time frame? Because a house in the 1970's cost $12,000 now they cost $120,000+

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-08-2016, 10:09 PM
(15-08-2016 09:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  This may be true in general, but I was poor as piss on a plate as a kid, and did manage to work my way out of it. I had a minimum wage employment out of high school, until I joined the US Navy. I had minimum wage employment after I got out, and worked that (and another minimum wage job) while at the university until I got a job as a mechanic and was able to earn a living while only working 20 hours a week (supplemented by the GI Bill). My father had an 8th grade education, my mother, 9th grade. YMMV. Careful how big a brush you use.

I know, my grand father did something similar for his kids (my mother). He worked as a night watchmen in a cheese factory while my grand mother worked as a waitress in a small diner until she lost her legs in her mid thirties due to disease. He poored all his money and hopes into his three kids, trying to make sure they would have a brighter future. He managed to keep his family affloat by borrowing money to a «Shylock». Of his three kids, two managed to get out of poverty and one, my mother, even got to the higher middle class thanks to excellent university grades. There is multiple stories like this, but they remain a minority in the grand scheme of things. Around 70% to 75% of poor people will remain poor and its mostly not linked to lack of hard work. There is multiple factor that needs to align to allow a person to get out of such a tight spot. Belonging to a racial or cultural minority only makes it harder.

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/11/13/...dle-class/

PS: Kudos for your success. It must have been rather tough at times.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post
15-08-2016, 10:21 PM
(15-08-2016 10:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 09:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  This may be true in general, but I was poor as piss on a plate as a kid, and did manage to work my way out of it. I had a minimum wage employment out of high school, until I joined the US Navy. I had minimum wage employment after I got out, and worked that (and another minimum wage job) while at the university until I got a job as a mechanic and was able to earn a living while only working 20 hours a week (supplemented by the GI Bill). My father had an 8th grade education, my mother, 9th grade. YMMV. Careful how big a brush you use.

Can we get a time frame? Because a house in the 1970's cost $12,000 now they cost $120,000+

I will respond in a PM, because the details are painful to me, and I don't think that this kind of information should be public knowledge here. I'm not looking for a pity party. My life is what it is. But you asked, so you are going to get to see it, raw.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-08-2016, 10:26 PM
(15-08-2016 10:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 10:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Can we get a time frame? Because a house in the 1970's cost $12,000 now they cost $120,000+

I will respond in a PM, because the details are painful to me, and I don't think that this kind of information should be public knowledge here. I'm not looking for a pity party. My life is what it is. But you asked, so you are going to get to see it, raw.

I am not trying to denigrate you or your struggle but climbing out of poverty has become increasingly difficult over the last 30 years, not that it was easy before.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-08-2016, 11:48 PM
... and the fact is, you (and my brother-in-law, for that matter) both had to offer up your lives for the country to escape the poverty of your youth.

I wonder how many kids came home from Afghanistan or Iraq feet-first simply for trying to escape desperate conditions?
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-08-2016, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2016 06:10 AM by Tomasia.)
(15-08-2016 02:01 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 01:56 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  That's the stupidest comeback ever

it's bullshit if Saudi cops did it it's bullshit if American cops do it .It's bullshit if any cops do it.

I agree, however shouting that she feels humiliated whilst following a humiliating religion that says she must cover herself up is ironic bullshit.

If the cops did wrong, fair enough, but to cry shame whilst subjugating herself to an shameful ideology where woman are second rate..... Meh.

Yea, next time an atheist women gets raped or molested, lets shout about how she deserved it for not believing that morality is subjective, for subscribing to an ideology in which there is no objective right and wrong.

"Don't whine about being molested bitch, since you think that morality is a matter of personal opinion."

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-08-2016, 06:25 AM
The religion bit is... almost a minor point here, apart from the fact that she was likely assaulted because she dressed differently. The main issue is that the assault occurred at all and the ridiculous nature of the following events - down to being forced to strip while in the presence of male police officers. That should be unacceptable under any circumstances. Sounds like she has a solid reason to sue. I hope she wins.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-08-2016, 07:27 AM
I think police has a right to ask to see her face. She needs to show it to them, or they will have no idea who she is, she could be a pink with purple polka dots Godzilla with laser eyes. But beyond that, she should have been left alone.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-08-2016, 07:42 AM
I'm sticking by my first response --- I'm thinking she was fishing for a lawsuit.

READ THE WHOLE FUCKING ARTICLE BEFORE COMMENTING!!!

She was fully covered up -- including a "scarf, hat and sunglasses" -- NOT real typical "modesty gear" for a Muslim.... Also wearing ankle weights -- again - not real typical..

She was an english student -- -so "STOP" isn't really likely unknown to her.

The cops KNOW they're being filmed. They're not likely to get outrageous .

She's carrying a backpack -- a favored accessory of suicide bombers everywhere...

Sure there's cops who are assholes --- but you really think four of them, would all spontaneously decide to "fuck with the A-rab" for no good reason????????

Just because somebody's got a lawyer who's willing to sue -- does NOT make them a victim.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-08-2016, 07:52 AM
(16-08-2016 07:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm sticking by my first response --- I'm thinking she was fishing for a lawsuit.

READ THE WHOLE FUCKING ARTICLE BEFORE COMMENTING!!!

She was fully covered up -- including a "scarf, hat and sunglasses" -- NOT real typical "modesty gear" for a Muslim.... Also wearing ankle weights -- again - not real typical..

She was an english student -- -so "STOP" isn't really likely unknown to her.

The cops KNOW they're being filmed. They're not likely to get outrageous .

She's carrying a backpack -- a favored accessory of suicide bombers everywhere...

Sure there's cops who are assholes --- but you really think four of them, would all spontaneously decide to "fuck with the A-rab" for no good reason????????

Just because somebody's got a lawyer who's willing to sue -- does NOT make them a victim.....

Is it hard being so fucking stupid?

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post