Muslim girl compares Switzerland to Saudi Arabia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2016, 01:43 AM
RE: Muslim girl compares Switzerland to Saudi Arabia
In 2011 we had a case in Australia where a traffic cop pulled over a woman(?) for a driving offence, and when the cop demanded she(?) remove her(?) burka for identification purposes, she(?) refused.

"Muslim Woman Escapes jail by Remaining Behind her Burqa"
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ns...6078800517

As far as I'm concerned—living as I do in a nominally secular country like Australia—if you wanna migrate here, then you obey our laws as a matter of course. No ifs, buts or maybes. If you must wear all your filthy Dark Ages religious rags, then go and live in an Islamic country FFS.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
09-07-2016, 01:55 AM
It does me too, MD, probably for different reasons; I don't like the idea of empowering government to dictate dress. I don't think that's any business of government at all.

I do think, of course, that cultural respect goes both ways.
09-07-2016, 01:58 AM
It is not the matter of xenophobia, you can freely wear a hijab which is also a piece of garment that also indicates that you are a Muslim and nobody will have a problem with it. It's a matter of principle , if you allow one group to wear a face concealing garment , you have to allow it to everybody.
So people will start to go around wearing balaclavas and that could lead to security issues.
Demanding that one group be excluded from the rule that in general benefits the society because "how many women in burkas have committed crimes?" or based on their religious customs is not demanding equal treatment, it is demanding special treatment.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
09-07-2016, 02:04 AM
(09-07-2016 01:58 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Demanding that one group be excluded from the rule that in general benefits the society because "how many women in burkas have committed crimes?" or based on their religious customs is not demanding equal treatment, it is demanding special treatment.

This law is *now* suddenly an issue where previously it wasn't. Why? If it is, as claimed, for reasons of public safety, then there should be some statistics to show why it is so necessary.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-07-2016, 02:31 AM
(09-07-2016 01:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 10:27 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Do we know that she is not born in Switzerland? Is it wrong for an immigrant to criticize a law they don't agree with in the country they've moved to? Can I, a white, blond, secular Danish woman move to USA even if I disagree with a bunch of your laws and politics?
In other words, how long do I have to live in someone elses house before I can consider it my house?

I still agree that the woman with the tweet is being completely ridiculous in her statement. But I will always defend her right to criticize Swiss legislation, no matter how long she's lived in the country and why she came there.

A fair point. But a little respect goes a long ways towards easing the process of communication.

I may well be guilty of assumption here, but I was thinking of her as an immigrant, not native-born -- in which case her critique must also be colored by the fact that she chose that country to which to move. Was she unaware of the social mores and laws? Was she aware of them? Was she born into them?

I think we can, or have, come to an agreement. Hug

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
09-07-2016, 02:56 AM
(09-07-2016 02:31 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 01:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A fair point. But a little respect goes a long ways towards easing the process of communication.

I may well be guilty of assumption here, but I was thinking of her as an immigrant, not native-born -- in which case her critique must also be colored by the fact that she chose that country to which to move. Was she unaware of the social mores and laws? Was she aware of them? Was she born into them?

I think we can, or have, come to an agreement. Hug

You made a good point, and I'm happy to acknowledge as much. Smile Do we agree? Perhaps, perhaps not. But you've made me question my own assumptions, and that's appreciated.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-07-2016, 03:08 AM
(09-07-2016 01:58 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  It is not the matter of xenophobia, you can freely wear a hijab which is also a piece of garment that also indicates that you are a Muslim and nobody will have a problem with it. It's a matter of principle , if you allow one group to wear a face concealing garment , you have to allow it to everybody.
So people will start to go around wearing balaclavas and that could lead to security issues.
Demanding that one group be excluded from the rule that in general benefits the society because "how many women in burkas have committed crimes?" or based on their religious customs is not demanding equal treatment, it is demanding special treatment.

I don't think it's only a matter of xenophobia, but I sure think that's a part of it.
09-07-2016, 02:24 PM
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
09-07-2016, 02:39 PM
(08-07-2016 09:01 AM)izel Wrote:  Switzerland forbids anyone, male or female, Muslim or not, from wearing the Burqa or anything that would cover your face completely. The prohibition is not just for Muslim women. Do I think this law is mainly for Muslims? Yes! But Switzerland is not Saudi Arabia, maybe someone should remind her why she moved to Switzerland in the first place.
The concerns are valid, just seems some people are taking the analogy too far.

Switzerland government has no valid reason to dictate what people can wear on their heads. So what if a woman wears a burqa. So fuck'n what!
09-07-2016, 02:42 PM
(09-07-2016 01:58 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  So people will start to go around wearing balaclavas and that could lead to security issues.
In NZ people are allowed to cover their faces. We don't seem to have rampant issues because of this "relaxed" policy.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post