Muslim girl compares Switzerland to Saudi Arabia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: Muslim girl compares Switzerland to Saudi Arabia
(10-07-2016 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  None of that helps the fact that I have to now deal with unidentifiable people running around in masks and wide coats.

You can't really be so dense that you do not see that this causes real and justified fear.

Like I said, let's just all wear masks and wide coats. Don't tell me that would not be disconcerting.

You find it scary, others not. Shall we cheerfully introduce laws that everything that people find scary we will ban? I'm asking where the justification *is* for that fear?

The reason it is scary (and I am quite sure I am not the only one who feels this way) is because it is not safe. It takes away any way to identify this person.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Already alluded-to above, but apparently ignored: I wonder what the Swiss would think of a law banning ski-masks in public?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
10-07-2016, 06:13 PM
(08-07-2016 09:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Some people just ain't happy, unless they feel victimized...

Yea, kinda like gun worshipers. "You wanna take away every single gun".

No, we merely want a safer society. See how that works?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2016, 06:22 PM
(10-07-2016 05:46 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Already alluded-to above, but apparently ignored: I wonder what the Swiss would think of a law banning ski-masks in public?

Pretty much people wear those on the slopes to protect their faces from being sun burned or cold bitten. If you walked into a bank or even pub with one covering your face, you'd get a reaction.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2016, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 10:28 PM by EvolutionKills.)
I can see it as a safety issue. Having people fully covered and their faces entirely concealed in public can present a public safety concern. I'd also say the same thing about walking around open carrying shotguns and semi-auto rifles, but that's neither here nor there.

I can see how this can be an argument in favor of equality. The burqa is a tool of Islamic oppression against women, and if you don't want that tool being used in your country because you value the equality of women, it's a sensible stance to take. Even if some adult Muslim woman protest against that, you can make the argument of informed consent; that a woman raised in such an environment arguably doesn't know or has been exposed enough to make an informed decision on the matter. If you've lived your life in a burqa, if that's all you know (reinforced by male imams), that choice has already been imposed upon you. The burqa is a means of dehumanization, and women who grew up with it and profess a preference for it should be treated in the same way as someone who was raised a slave and was afraid of emancipation; with respect and sympathy, but not so much that it derails equality/abolition itself.

I can also see this as a potentially knee-jerk and xenophobic reaction, or as a means to discourage fundamentalist Muslims from emigrating to Switzerland.

So I have little issue with banning the burqa (not the hijab, the traditional scarf), even if the motivated reasoning behind some of it's support is less than ideal.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-07-2016, 10:50 PM
(10-07-2016 06:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 05:46 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Already alluded-to above, but apparently ignored: I wonder what the Swiss would think of a law banning ski-masks in public?

Pretty much people wear those on the slopes to protect their faces from being sun burned or cold bitten. If you walked into a bank or even pub with one covering your face, you'd get a reaction.

And if they're walking down the street on a cold, snowy day?
10-07-2016, 10:54 PM
(10-07-2016 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I can see it as a safety issue. Having people fully covered and their faces entirely concealed in public can present a public safety concern. I'd also say the same thing about walking around open carrying shotguns and semi-auto rifles, but that's neither here nor there.
Loaded guns are far more dangerous than a piece of cloth.

Is the American Halloween dangerous, with people walking around in costumes and masks? Should that be made illegal?

Should hoodies be made illegal?

What about wedding veils?

Makes no sense to make burka's illegal.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
10-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Seriously? That is like confusing the difference between having a law that says pedophilia is legal and a law that says it's not. The two are opposites of each other. One is a law the prohibits using religion from enforcing dominance on a person and the other enforces it. [/align]

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-07-2016, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 11:12 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(10-07-2016 10:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Is the American Halloween dangerous, with people walking around in costumes and masks? Should that be made illegal?

It certainly can be. But it's a tradition, a holiday, and one that everyone knows is coming and expects. Walking into a store with your face painted as a skeleton on Halloween won't raise much alarm. Doing it any other day, provided you were not a child, certainly would raise suspicion.

Also, Halloween costumes are not a tool used by a religion to enforce male dominance and dehumanize women. So, you know, there is that...

(10-07-2016 10:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Should hoodies be made illegal?

Hoodies don't cover your face like a balaclava or a burqa does. And if you see someone with a hoodie and their face covered in a balaclava, scarf, or handkerchief? Then you know some shit is going down, because that's not regular attire.

(10-07-2016 10:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  What about wedding veils?

Not worn everyday, not used as a tool by religion to oppress and dehumanize half the population. They're part of a tradition and a celebration, not everyday attire.

Plus I already made it clear that I'm against banning the Hijab, the traditional head scarf that does not cover the face.

(10-07-2016 10:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Makes no sense to make burka's illegal.

It can, provided you're not trying really hard to stretch things to make bad analogies fit.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-07-2016, 11:30 PM
(10-07-2016 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Even if some adult Muslim woman protest against that, you can make the argument of informed consent; that a woman raised in such an environment arguably doesn't know or has been exposed enough to make an informed decision on the matter.

So now big daddy government will make their decisions for them. Maybe we should just ban Islam as a religion?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post