Muslim outrage at a billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Article

So someone (presumably an anti-muslim group) put up a billboard with such statements about Muhammad: married a 6 year old, had 11 wives at one time, etc. Muslim groups are offended. Go figure. What is funny is that they say it is offensive and untrue. As far as I know (I am no Koran expert) but I've seen references to the statements to the Koran. Are the those that are offended lying for Muhammad? Either the Koran is correct or not. If the Koran is correct then you can be offended but you can't say it is untrue.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 04:32 PM
RE: Muslim outrage at a billboard
[Image: snowflakes23.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-06-2017, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 05:26 PM by Rachel.)
(06-06-2017 04:29 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Article

So someone (presumably an anti-muslim group) put up a billboard with such statements about Muhammad: married a 6 year old, had 11 wives at one time, etc. Muslim groups are offended. Go figure. What is funny is that they say it is offensive and untrue. As far as I know (I am no Koran expert) but I've seen references to the statements to the Koran. Are the those that are offended lying for Muhammad? Either the Koran is correct or not. If the Koran is correct then you can be offended but you can't say it is untrue.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Muslim outrage at (insert offense of your choice here). Their beliefs are just as silly as Christian beliefs and so deserve no more respect from me than any other evidence-free belief. The fact that they take offense and start killing people is no reason to kowtow to their beliefs. If they want to believe some silly crap, they're free to do so. But evidence-free beliefs don't automatically warrant respect from me. Respect must be earned. If Allah is so easily and deeply offended, why doesn't it smite its enemies itself? Why the need for relying on crazy believers to carry out its will?

But the people who put up the billboard should remember that this strategy cuts both ways. Around the time of the Winter Solstice, there may appear billboards which question the veracity of the Christmas story. If they are free to mock Muslim beliefs, they shouldn't be offended if atheists or humanists make fun of the prevailing religion, Christianity.
[+] 6 users Like Rachel's post
06-06-2017, 05:55 PM

Well the billboard is calling Mohhamed, a rapist, a torturer and a slave trader.

Put up a billboard about the bible telling how to treat your slave, on YHWH mass genocide of millions of people (hint: the great flood), rape of a woman (hint Mary while she slept), support of rape (hint: Mosses commanding his army to rape the virgin girls).
See if you get any offended Christians crying out.
[+] 6 users Like Stevil's post
06-06-2017, 06:00 PM
(06-06-2017 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

Well the billboard is calling Mohhamed, a rapist, a torturer and a slave trader.

Put up a billboard about the bible telling how to treat your slave, on YHWH mass genocide of millions of people (hint: the great flood), rape of a woman (hint Mary while she slept), support of rape (hint: Mosses commanding his army to rape the virgin girls).

I'm all for it. All these silly belief systems need to be ridiculed as much as possible, using their own words against them.

They're offended? Boo fucking hoo.
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
06-06-2017, 06:25 PM
(06-06-2017 06:00 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Well the billboard is calling Mohhamed, a rapist, a torturer and a slave trader.

I'm all for it. All these silly belief systems need to be ridiculed as much as possible, using their own words against them.

They're offended? Boo fucking hoo.
I don't see any point in going out of your way to taunt people, to ridicule them etc.
What value do you add? Are you trying to make them angry, trying to drive them away from your community?

Seems very aggressive and childish to me.
When you start taunting them, they won't start listening to you. They will either hate you or write you off as some childish troll.
Some of the extreme ones will get their backs up and will try to fight back.

There are more effective ways at dealing with people. I'm all for building of bridges rather than walls. Reach out with a welcoming and warm hand rather than standing back and throwing stones.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
06-06-2017, 06:58 PM
(06-06-2017 06:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I don't see any point in going out of your way to taunt people, to ridicule them etc.
What value do you add? Are you trying to make them angry, trying to drive them away from your community?

Seems very aggressive and childish to me.
When you start taunting them, they won't start listening to you. They will either hate you or write you off as some childish troll.
Some of the extreme ones will get their backs up and will try to fight back.

There are more effective ways at dealing with people. I'm all for building of bridges rather than walls. Reach out with a welcoming and warm hand rather than standing back and throwing stones.
On the one hand, I understand where you're coming from and it would honestly be my default.

On the other hand, believers should not be surprised that they, as a whole, have prompted such strong reactions in some unbelievers. I would not go so far as to say that it reflects badly on unbelievers. There has been real harm done, throughout history, by dominant religions, against all who refuse to join.

Also, religion has long enjoyed unearned deference and respect in the marketplace of ideas, and frequently pitches a snit when someone merely declines to agree and doesn't hide it. That which is ridiculous (and what is more ridiculous than accepting random assertions without a requirement of evidence?) is worthy of ridicule. As a matter of grace, I might pull my punches ... but at the end of the day, men in funny hats who teach that bread transforms into Christ's flesh and diddle little boys with impunity deserve no respect and, in fact, more often than not, themselves offer zero respect to others.
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post
06-06-2017, 07:04 PM
(06-06-2017 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

There are some videos on Youtube with a guy approaching random people on the streets, asking them to listen and judge some passages from the Koran.

He then precedes to read them some horribly immoral passages, only they are from the Bible.

After the people agree how immoral the "Koran passages" are, the guy removes the Koran slip cover from the book, to reveal it is actually the Bible he was reading from.

Hilarity ensues, as the People admit the Bible is an immoral book.

Not really. They actually get quite upset and start in with the usual excuses, like "Out of context!".
[+] 9 users Like Simon Moon's post
06-06-2017, 07:11 PM
(06-06-2017 06:58 PM)mordant Wrote:  but at the end of the day, men in funny hats who teach that bread transforms into Christ's flesh and diddle little boys with impunity deserve no respect and, in fact, more often than not, themselves offer zero respect to others.
Agreed, but it doesn't make sense to take this out on all Christians, or even just all Catholics.

If your neighbor was a Christian and their child comes over to your place to have a play date with your kid, do you jump upon the opportunity to sit the poor kid down and point out the inconsistencies in the bible, the nasty things YHWH does, the stupid stuff Jesus says etc. Or do you just let the kids play together despite your differences of religious opinion?

Fair dues if you want to have a debate with some religious door knocker selling Salvation. But a billboard saying the Mohammad is a rapist is just a bit far don't you think?
Is the Muslim family going to feel welcome in the town? What about when their children read the billboard and the parents then have to explain it to them, how ignorant and hateful the locals are towards people of Muslim faith.
Perhaps the kids then draw a line between Muslims and Christians, perhaps then see it as some adversary holy war. Is this not a way to create enemies?
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
06-06-2017, 07:16 PM
(06-06-2017 07:04 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Well the billboard is calling Mohhamed, a rapist, a torturer and a slave trader.

There are some videos on Youtube with a guy approaching random people on the streets, asking them to listen and judge some passages from the Koran.

He then precedes to read them some horribly immoral passages, only they are from the Bible.

After the people agree how immoral the "Koran passages" are, the guy removes the Koran slip cover from the book, to reveal it is actually the Bible he was reading from.

Hilarity ensues, as the People admit the Bible is an immoral book.

Not really. They actually get quite upset and start in with the usual excuses, like "Out of context!".
It's funny that they don't recognise that it is their bible. They obviously haven't read it. Boring book anyway, they either just rely on their church to tell them the important bits or they just make it up, under the premise that god is good and that they ought to try to be good too.

I think i've seen the video, it sounds familiar.