Muslim outrage at a billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 07:17 PM
RE: Muslim outrage at a billboard
I hope Rima Shahid is as "outraged, and saddened," at the deaths of little girls at a Ariana concert, as he is at a few statements, about his prophet, that may or may not have been pulled directly from his own holy book.

I'll have to hear Muslims plea for the stoning of every suicide bomber enabler in existence before I'll give a shit about how they react to a taunting billboard. Dodgy But then maybe I'm an awful person. Angel I drive by a Christian billboard everyday advertising "The Truth". I just roll my eyes, and keep driving. Maybe try that, Rima. Outrage sounds so hostile, Mr. Religion of Peace.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 07:34 PM
(06-06-2017 06:58 PM)mordant Wrote:  Also, religion has long enjoyed unearned deference and respect in the marketplace of ideas, and frequently pitches a snit when someone merely declines to agree and doesn't hide it. That which is ridiculous (and what is more ridiculous than accepting random assertions without a requirement of evidence?) is worthy of ridicule. As a matter of grace, I might pull my punches ... but at the end of the day, men in funny hats who teach that bread transforms into Christ's flesh and diddle little boys with impunity deserve no respect and, in fact, more often than not, themselves offer zero respect to others.

^^^^
This Thumbsup

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
06-06-2017, 07:42 PM
I don’t know much about the Quran. –In fact, basically all I know are a few tidbits that I can contribute to a conversation, should the subject ever come up. So while I’m not well schooled in Islam, I am reasonably familiar with what the Torah says and the things that non-Jews say the Torah says do not agree with our traditions and interpretations. It’s our book, our ancestors wrote it, and the key to understanding it is in our heritage, not theirs.

I think the Muslim community is more qualified to say what the Quran says or doesn’t say than some cherry picking non-Muslim with no first-hand experience in the Muslim world. If the majority of the Muslim community says it’s offensive, then the debate is over. It’s offensive. Take the billboard down and apologize.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-06-2017, 08:32 PM
(06-06-2017 06:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 06:00 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I'm all for it. All these silly belief systems need to be ridiculed as much as possible, using their own words against them.

They're offended? Boo fucking hoo.
I don't see any point in going out of your way to taunt people, to ridicule them etc.
What value do you add? Are you trying to make them angry, trying to drive them away from your community?

Seems very aggressive and childish to me.
When you start taunting them, they won't start listening to you. They will either hate you or write you off as some childish troll.
Some of the extreme ones will get their backs up and will try to fight back.

There are more effective ways at dealing with people. I'm all for building of bridges rather than walls. Reach out with a welcoming and warm hand rather than standing back and throwing stones.
In 2010, American Atheists put a billboard outside the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel reading "You KNOW it’s a myth. This season, celebrate REASON!” There was the predictable outrage, although my wife and I applauded it. No one has the right, God-given or otherwise, to not be offended. No one has the right to demand that others respect their beliefs. I'd be a lot happier with bridge-building if we atheists weren't treated as demons by many theists.
[+] 1 user Likes LifelongAtheist's post
06-06-2017, 08:35 PM
(06-06-2017 08:32 PM)LifelongAtheist Wrote:  In 2010, American Atheists put a billboard outside the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel reading "You KNOW it’s a myth. This season, celebrate REASON!” There was the predictable outrage, although my wife and I applauded it. No one has the right, God-given or otherwise, to not be offended. No one has the right to demand that others respect their beliefs. I'd be a lot happier with bridge-building if we atheists weren't treated as demons by many theists.
There's a difference between saying "You KNOW it’s a myth. This season, celebrate REASON!” as opposed to "Mohammed/Jesus/God is a rapist and slave trader".

The later is much more aggressive.
06-06-2017, 08:37 PM
(06-06-2017 07:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don’t know much about the Quran. –In fact, basically all I know are a few tidbits that I can contribute to a conversation, should the subject ever come up. So while I’m not well schooled in Islam, I am reasonably familiar with what the Torah says and the things that non-Jews say the Torah says do not agree with our traditions and interpretations. It’s our book, our ancestors wrote it, and the key to understanding it is in our heritage, not theirs.

I think the Muslim community is more qualified to say what the Quran says or doesn’t say than some cherry picking non-Muslim with no first-hand experience in the Muslim world. If the majority of the Muslim community says it’s offensive, then the debate is over. It’s offensive. Take the billboard down and apologize.

I think that the point is, what is said in both the Quran and the Torah is offensive to those who know their history, regardless of your or anyone else's interpretations.

Yes, there may be a majority of followers of said scriptures that are peaceful, but there has been more war waged in the name of these writings than peace, and it takes religion to make a peaceful person become violent just to defend a myth.

I will not apologize for calling out what is ridiculous and dangerous to humanity, and I will defend those who do so. This world is not a safe place, especially for those who suffer from the evils that religion creates. It needs to be said.
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
06-06-2017, 08:39 PM
(06-06-2017 08:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 08:32 PM)LifelongAtheist Wrote:  In 2010, American Atheists put a billboard outside the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel reading "You KNOW it’s a myth. This season, celebrate REASON!” There was the predictable outrage, although my wife and I applauded it. No one has the right, God-given or otherwise, to not be offended. No one has the right to demand that others respect their beliefs. I'd be a lot happier with bridge-building if we atheists weren't treated as demons by many theists.
There's a difference between saying "You KNOW it’s a myth. This season, celebrate REASON!” as opposed to "Mohammed/Jesus/God is a rapist and slave trader".

That's not what the billboard said though. It simply stated facts, interpretation of those facts is up to the individual.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-06-2017, 09:50 PM
(06-06-2017 08:39 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 08:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  There's a difference between saying "You KNOW it’s a myth. This season, celebrate REASON!” as opposed to "Mohammed/Jesus/God is a rapist and slave trader".

That's not what the billboard said though. It simply stated facts, interpretation of those facts is up to the individual.
[Image: 636322652774527034-5ge6tr.JPG]

Bottom left - Rapist
Second bottom left - Slave owner and dealer.

This is obviously a reference to Mohummad because he famously married Aisha aged 6. (Top item on the left)

Now, where does it say in the quran that Mohummad is a rapist?
06-06-2017, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 10:13 PM by evenheathen.)
(06-06-2017 09:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Now, where does it say in the quran that Mohummad is a rapist?

You're absolutely right, it does say that (the rapist bit). To be honest I hadn't seen the picture before you posted it, and spoke before I knew better. I apologize. That's my mistake .

That is the one statement on the board that is a matter of interpretation, and as such should have not been included in this checklist as a matter of courtesy to those who feel that their religion is above criticism because it hurts their feelings if they're not able to put their selves above the rest of us without being challenged. Also, who in too many cases feel that violence is okay if used to justify their way of thinking.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-06-2017, 10:24 PM
(06-06-2017 10:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  as a matter of courtesy to those who feel that their religion is above criticism because it hurts their feelings if they're not able to put their selves above the rest of us without being challenged. Also, who in too many cases feel that violence is okay if used to justify their way of thinking.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry.
What about those Muslims that don't agree with violence? You know the majority of Muslims.