Muslim outrage at a billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: Muslim outrage at a billboard
I have to say, I'm a little surprised to see the level of discrimination present on this thread from a community of people who are otherwise rational and measured in how they treat people.

I'm not talking specifically about ridiculing religion in general, but the broad condemnation of an entire group as basically intrinsically evil murderers, despite evidence to the contrary.

IOW, if you reject xtians when they claim all atheists are evil and immoral because of Pol Pot, Stalin, etc you can't say that Islam is religion of violence based on the actions of a minority of practitioners without being a flaming hypocrite.

I'm curious if anyone condemning Muslims actually personally knows one, and how their interactions with that person typically go?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
07-06-2017, 11:28 AM
(06-06-2017 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 04:29 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Article

So someone (presumably an anti-muslim group) put up a billboard with such statements about Muhammad: married a 6 year old, had 11 wives at one time, etc. Muslim groups are offended. Go figure. What is funny is that they say it is offensive and untrue. As far as I know (I am no Koran expert) but I've seen references to the statements to the Koran. Are the those that are offended lying for Muhammad? Either the Koran is correct or not. If the Koran is correct then you can be offended but you can't say it is untrue.
Well the billboard is calling Mohhamed, a rapist, a torturer and a slave trader.

Put up a billboard about the bible telling how to treat your slave, on YHWH mass genocide of millions of people (hint: the great flood), rape of a woman (hint Mary while she slept), support of rape (hint: Mosses commanding his army to rape the virgin girls).
See if you get any offended Christians crying out.

Y yes of course The other day some dude had a Bible verse on his car and was bullied for doing so since it was one of the unpopular ones.
07-06-2017, 11:52 AM
(07-06-2017 12:35 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:18 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  It's all a matter of fact he did these things (and more) as per the billboard.

It's hard to be outraged at having somebody having pointed out known facts about Mohammad on a billboard. None of it is false.
Who did he rape?
Do Muslims accept that he raped this person(s)?

What does them accepting have to do with anything?

The bible clearly states god committed mass genocide, and whether a christian accepts it or not is irrelevant.
07-06-2017, 01:04 PM
(07-06-2017 11:16 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  I have to say, I'm a little surprised to see the level of discrimination present on this thread from a community of people who are otherwise rational and measured in how they treat people.

I'm not talking specifically about ridiculing religion in general, but the broad condemnation of an entire group as basically intrinsically evil murderers, despite evidence to the contrary.

IOW, if you reject xtians when they claim all atheists are evil and immoral because of Pol Pot, Stalin, etc you can't say that Islam is religion of violence based on the actions of a minority of practitioners without being a flaming hypocrite.

I'm curious if anyone condemning Muslims actually personally knows one, and how their interactions with that person typically go?

I see little if any condemnation here of all Moslems as being bad people. This thread started out as being about a billboard that criticized Mohammad, not Moslems per se.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
07-06-2017, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 02:20 PM by Cosmo.)
@Charlie I think I saw some stereotyping too but I'd have to go look.

(07-06-2017 11:28 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 05:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Well the billboard is calling Mohhamed, a rapist, a torturer and a slave trader.

Put up a billboard about the bible telling how to treat your slave, on YHWH mass genocide of millions of people (hint: the great flood), rape of a woman (hint Mary while she slept), support of rape (hint: Mosses commanding his army to rape the virgin girls).
See if you get any offended Christians crying out.

Y yes of course The other day some dude had a Bible verse on his car and was bullied for doing so since it was one of the unpopular ones.

My attempt to respond to most of what I've seen insofar.

I remember that thread. Silly Deity. Interestingly enough most respondents thought it was hilarious if I remember correctly. Didn't see any atheists coming to Christianity's back.

I believe I already made clear that I will condemn the ideology, not the people, but I want to make that very clear before I continue. I'm not about to treat Islam with anything resembling dignity.

I live in Canada. I am absolutely surrounded by Muslims. I can state confidently that the majority of them who are my age are peaceful. This is not due to their ideology at all. It's cuz they're good people. The previous generation generally looks upon our society with disdain, but Canadian Muslims from my generation have been through public or catholic school (there are no Muslim schools in my city,) and have a tendency to read the Quran metaphorically.

Conversely, I can also state that I have witnessed firsthand, a woman being bound, gagged, blindfolded and then stoned to death by hundreds of Muslims, all chucking fucking rocks the size of her head at her until her body is a buried pile of gelatinous injustice. This for the crime of trying to control her own body.

A video I will not take time to find or post as it still gives me horrifying flashbacks periodically, and I don't think snuff films are allowed.

Now, people are welcome to deny that Muslim countries that operate within the confines of Sharia law are barbaric. That's on them. I don't know if it messes with a rainbows and faerie dust version of reality where all religions get together and sing Kumbaya or something, but the painful fact remains that Islamic ideology regularly (that is to say, on a daily basis, by the thousands in Islamist countries) produces horrifying injustice against humanity, based on a supposedly innerant, ancient text. This is not extremist Islam by the way. Regular Muslims in Islamic countries believe stoning an adulterer is okay. Apostates are hung in the streets from cranes. If that fact pains you I honestly don't care. Way passed that when I see quarter being given to a religion that would absolutely destroy the way of life humanists and Liberals find sacred if given the opportunity. Some pills are hard to swallow. I just posted a video where a prominent British-Muslim thinker states that if a country is a Muslim theocracy, that country will give the death penalty to anyone found guilty of apostasy. Did you watch the video?

I'm a moderate. This gives me the joy of criticizing both sides of the political spectrum. I watch, typically very far left liberals make concessions for Islam, totally unaware that if this was an Islamist country homosexuals would go into hiding, women's rights would evaporate, intelligent discourse that discredits anything in the Quran would be expressly forbidden, and I would have a constantly itchy beard. Almost all humanistic values would be gone. Go to a country that is an Islamic theocracy and see if I'm kidding. Conversely on the far-right, the attacks change from ideological to ad-hominem racism. I will not deny that.

I find usually somewhere in the middle is the truth. That's just me though.

Again, Muslims can be great people. I would say that this is in spite of their religion, not because of it. Islam is a noxious ideology, absolutely malignant in comparison with the other "relatively benign" (Dawkins) world religions. Try finding any religion that holds a candle to the amount of global attacks Islamic ideology has precipitated in the modern day. It can't be done.

Just because you've had warm fuzzies with nice progressive Muslims, doesn't change what their book says or how Islamic theocracies dehumanize people. I feel the same way I feel talking to a Muslim as I do a Christian.

"X is a really great person, but gosh their beliefs are stupid."

Again, I'm with Dawkins:

"People tell you, you have to respect everyone's opinion. No you damn well don't have to respect everyone's opinion!"

I dunno. Islam gets no quarter from me, especially when many of them across the globe would see me dead, just for being me. Muslims can be great. I don't believe I can say the same about their religion.

Regards.

Edit: Also, please don't even bother denying the horrors committed by Islamically theocratic countries to me. All it will do is show immense disrespect to those who died, and who will die today, unjustly, at the hands of bad religion. Please.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 4 users Like Cosmo's post
07-06-2017, 01:31 PM
(07-06-2017 11:52 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:35 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Who did he rape?

What does them accepting have to do with anything?

The bible clearly states god committed mass genocide, and whether a christian accepts it or not is irrelevant.
There is certainly a problem with non believers cherry picking passages from scripture. Most believers take their scripture as something to be interpreted. The literal reading of the unbeliever is inconsistent with the interpreted understanding of the believer. The unbeliever just comes across as ignorant and aggressive.

For example, how many Christians think people should be put to death for working on the Sabbath or for cursing ones parents?

In order to engage in intelligent conversation with a theist about their religion one needs to listen to them and come at them from their understanding rather than your own literal reading.

Posting a billboard with these aggressive statement is not intelligent and is not engaging. It is trollish taunts befitting of an angry child.
07-06-2017, 01:33 PM
(07-06-2017 12:35 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:18 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  It's all a matter of fact he did these things (and more) as per the billboard.

It's hard to be outraged at having somebody having pointed out known facts about Mohammad on a billboard. None of it is false.
Who did he rape?

Mohammad, after he ended up in Media, went to war with the rest of Arabia. He killed many, executed many and took their children and female family members as war booty. The became slaves and concubines and were forced in many case into marriages with those who killed their male relatives.

QURAN - 4:24
"And all married women are forbidden unto you save those captives whom your right hand possess. It is a decree of Allah for you.

Sex with female captives was OK with Mohammad.
This and various other verses of the Quran, and ruling from centuries of Islamic
legal experts have supported such behavior. This is where the charge of rape on that billboard comes from.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
07-06-2017, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 02:29 PM by Simon Moon.)
(07-06-2017 04:04 AM)Stevil Wrote:  There are about 2 billion Muslims in the world.
If they were all out to kill non Muslims then we would be in for some big problems.

But actually, there are very few terrorist Muslims. A very small percent of Muslims. Don't paint the peaceful ones with your terrorist brush.

So, lets look at the math...

There are about 1.5 billion Muslims in the world.

The best estimates are, that about 7% of them are: engaged in active form of terror activity, in some sort of active support, planning or implementing mode.

Seems like a small number, right?

That would only be...75 million Muslims!

Another survey shows that 25% of the Islamic population supports or condone some form of violent jihad.

So, even though there is only a small percentage of Muslims that participate in terrorist activities, that still adds up to a very large number of individuals.

It is a fact, that there are indeed specific passages in the Quran that can be, and are, used by Muslim terrorists to justify their actions. The fact that some Muslims ignore or cherry pick the Quran, does not change that fact.

EDIT: I have found out that they survey that shows that 25% of the Islamic population supports or condone some form of violent jihad, was flawed. But I am sure the number is still higher than one might think.
07-06-2017, 02:00 PM
(07-06-2017 01:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  There is certainly a problem with non believers cherry picking passages from scripture. Most believers take their scripture as something to be interpreted. The literal reading of the unbeliever is inconsistent with the interpreted understanding of the believer. The unbeliever just comes across as ignorant and aggressive.

For example, how many Christians think people should be put to death for working on the Sabbath or for cursing ones parents?

In order to engage in intelligent conversation with a theist about their religion one needs to listen to them and come at them from their understanding rather than your own literal reading.

Posting a billboard with these aggressive statement is not intelligent and is not engaging. It is trollish taunts befitting of an angry child.

I'm sorry, but you're starting to sound like an apologist.

If everything is left up to the "interpretation" of the believer, then you're basically giving them a free pass for any criticism of their written holy books.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Boo-fuckity-hoo. No billboard could be as outrageous or offensive as killing people who insult your religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post