Muslim outrage at a billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 06:50 PM
RE: Muslim outrage at a billboard
I think the idea of putting up billboards against any religion is weird. What's your target audience? Believers in that particular religion? Good luck with that. Non-believers? You may as well take up shooting fish in a barrel as a hobby.

And for all of it you're paying a few hundred dollars a month to rent that space.

It strikes me as someone engaging in an odd form of public masturbation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
08-06-2017, 02:36 AM
(07-06-2017 06:13 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Are people who put up billboards that proclaim "Jesus Christ is the Son of God And you need to repent!" looking to have an intelligent conversation?
They are promoting their beliefs.

The problem with the billboard is that it misconstrues other's beliefs. It's just unintelligent and trollish. Plus it is making a direct attack on all Muslims using arguments that aren't even valid.

With the Jesus is the Son of God you must repent thing, who is that directly attacking?
As an Atheist I wouldn't feel attacked by it.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
08-06-2017, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 03:31 AM by AB517.)
(08-06-2017 02:36 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 06:13 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Are people who put up billboards that proclaim "Jesus Christ is the Son of God And you need to repent!" looking to have an intelligent conversation?

The problem with the billboard is that it misconstrues other's beliefs. It's just unintelligent and trollish. Plus it is making a direct attack on all Muslims using arguments that aren't even valid.

With the Jesus is the Son of God you must repent thing, who is that directly attacking?

Its a marketing tool and as such it can be used that way. I feel no more attacked by that then I do women's hygiene ads.
08-06-2017, 03:30 AM
(07-06-2017 06:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think the idea of putting up billboards against any religion is weird. What's your target audience? Believers in that particular religion? Good luck with that. Non-believers? You may as well take up shooting fish in a barrel as a hobby.

And for all of it you're paying a few hundred dollars a month to rent that space.

It strikes me as someone engaging in an odd form of public masturbation.

I tend to agree. marketing your own product is one thing, attacking another product is another, especially one as sensitive as this.
08-06-2017, 04:32 AM
(06-06-2017 04:29 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Article

So someone (presumably an anti-muslim group) put up a billboard with such statements about Muhammad: married a 6 year old, had 11 wives at one time, etc. Muslim groups are offended. Go figure. What is funny is that they say it is offensive and untrue. As far as I know (I am no Koran expert) but I've seen references to the statements to the Koran. Are the those that are offended lying for Muhammad? Either the Koran is correct or not. If the Koran is correct then you can be offended but you can't say it is untrue.

It is one thing to blaspheme and criticize ANY RELIGION, but if you buy into Trump's year of demagoguery, then it isn't merely blasphemy and it is dangerous.

I'd go and read how the bible treats girls/women too. The Koran does have verses in it that justify sexism and ownership of girls/women. But sexism exists to some degree in all the world's religions. Even China and India to this day have a huge problem with rape. America averages 80,000 sexual assaults per year.

Even Jews in Israel have their pockets of sexist asshole men. There are right wingers there who have held up airlines refusing to sit next to females on the planes.

I think it is important to understand in all of antiquity, even long before the God of Abraham of the big three, humans didn't have a modern understanding of evolutionary biology, men considered brawn to be better and considered themselves as being the only contributor to the genetic line. The mortality rate was also much higher back then so girls were expected to reproduce quicker and younger unfortunately.

Yes the East is living further back in time compared to the west, but Islam didn't invent sexism nor does it own a patent on it. Abuse of girls/women, rape and sex trafficking exist worldwide to greater or lesser degrees.

I always warn critics of any religion to take a more long term global comparative look in our species entire history.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2017, 05:18 AM
(07-06-2017 06:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think the idea of putting up billboards against any religion is weird. What's your target audience? Believers in that particular religion? Good luck with that. Non-believers? You may as well take up shooting fish in a barrel as a hobby.

I think there are 3 reasons for it. First, many believers live in a bubble where they think there are few, if any, non-believers living among them. Second, many non-believers think they are the only one in their area. Last, it may get some conversations going or help somebody who is starting to doubt realize that others have had the same thoughts.

If it gets people talking about a subject that they've always just taken as granted then that's useful IMO.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
08-06-2017, 08:37 AM
(08-06-2017 02:36 AM)Stevil Wrote:  

By telling people they "need to repent", they are "attacking" anyone that doesn't believe like they do. And you damn well know what they mean by "you must repent", unless you're going to continue to act so naive. Whether you personally feel attacked is again, irrelevant.
08-06-2017, 12:09 PM
(08-06-2017 08:37 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  By telling people they "need to repent", they are "attacking" anyone that doesn't believe like they do. And you damn well know what they mean by "you must repent", unless you're going to continue to act so naive. Whether you personally feel attacked is again, irrelevant.
This is a stretch. Are you worried about a need to repent?

How does that even compare to having a worshipped and adored entity being called a rapist?
08-06-2017, 12:37 PM
(08-06-2017 04:32 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 04:29 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Article

So someone (presumably an anti-muslim group) put up a billboard with such statements about Muhammad: married a 6 year old, had 11 wives at one time, etc. Muslim groups are offended. Go figure. What is funny is that they say it is offensive and untrue. As far as I know (I am no Koran expert) but I've seen references to the statements to the Koran. Are the those that are offended lying for Muhammad? Either the Koran is correct or not. If the Koran is correct then you can be offended but you can't say it is untrue.

It is one thing to blaspheme and criticize ANY RELIGION, but if you buy into Trump's year of demagoguery, then it isn't merely blasphemy and it is dangerous.

I'd go and read how the bible treats girls/women too. The Koran does have verses in it that justify sexism and ownership of girls/women. But sexism exists to some degree in all the world's religions. Even China and India to this day have a huge problem with rape. America averages 80,000 sexual assaults per year.

Even Jews in Israel have their pockets of sexist asshole men. There are right wingers there who have held up airlines refusing to sit next to females on the planes.

I think it is important to understand in all of antiquity, even long before the God of Abraham of the big three, humans didn't have a modern understanding of evolutionary biology, men considered brawn to be better and considered themselves as being the only contributor to the genetic line. The mortality rate was also much higher back then so girls were expected to reproduce quicker and younger unfortunately.

Yes the East is living further back in time compared to the west, but Islam didn't invent sexism nor does it own a patent on it. Abuse of girls/women, rape and sex trafficking exist worldwide to greater or lesser degrees.

I always warn critics of any religion to take a more long term global comparative look in our species entire history.

No surprise that you shoehorned Trump into this discussion but I'll move on.

What is your point about understanding the long term history of human civilization? We live today, we control today, our actions and beliefs can control what tomorrow looks like. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that the christians or any other religion holds a higher moral ground than Muslims. We have hundreds of threads on this site alone criticizing christianity and I would bet they outnumber quite significantly those that criticize Islam.

Islam is actually more contemporary to Christianity or Judaism so in theory they should be more enlightened by your argument.

Islam is just as fucking ridiculous as Christianity. Islam just seems to react differently to criticism in the current time. That won't stop me from treating the Koran in the same manner as the Bible or treating Muslims with kid gloves due to some fabricated allegation of Islamophobia. Fiction is fiction and bullshit is bullshit.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 4 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
08-06-2017, 12:47 PM
^

I call bullshit where I see it. I am indiscriminate in my calling of bullshitery.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~