Muslim outrage at a billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2017, 01:57 PM
RE: Muslim outrage at a billboard
(08-06-2017 12:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 08:37 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  By telling people they "need to repent", they are "attacking" anyone that doesn't believe like they do. And you damn well know what they mean by "you must repent", unless you're going to continue to act so naive. Whether you personally feel attacked is again, irrelevant.
This is a stretch. Are you worried about a need to repent?

How does that even compare to having a worshipped and adored entity being called a rapist?

My god....you're seriously sounding like an apologist now.

You keep changing your tone based on whether we're talking about atheists or believers. When it's the believer side, you're seriously over-compensating for their feelings, speaking for them and acting like we all have to tip-toe around them lest we upset them.

Then when it's the atheist side, you act like it's no big deal and proceed to use a completely different tone of defense. What does me being "worried about a need to repent" have to with the principle of it. What does me being "worried" about it have to do with them telling me I'm a dirty sinner that will burn in hell? Are we arguing what is said or are we arguing how we're supposed to expect atheists to respond better than believers.

Your whole diatribe here has been a fucking stretch. And besides that was just an example. How about "Abortion is murder" billboards? "Homosexuality is a sin and gays will burn in hell"? Are those attacking enough or are you just going to shrug your shoulders and say "That's just them professing their beliefs"?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
08-06-2017, 03:33 PM
(08-06-2017 01:57 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  How about "Abortion is murder" billboards? "Homosexuality is a sin and gays will burn in hell"? Are those attacking enough or are you just going to shrug your shoulders and say "That's just them professing their beliefs"?
Yeah, I'd be against an Abortion is murder billboard, because abortion isn't murder.

I'd also be against a Homosexuality is sin billboard even though sin has no meaning, because this is singling out a group of people in a negative way.

But this is still not as bad as the Mohammad is a rapist billboard.

If we were to come up with a similar billboard, perhaps you could have a billboard that says homosexuals are child rapists. I think that would be equally as horrid as having a billboard that says Mohammad is a rapist.
08-06-2017, 03:40 PM
(08-06-2017 03:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 01:57 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  How about "Abortion is murder" billboards? "Homosexuality is a sin and gays will burn in hell"? Are those attacking enough or are you just going to shrug your shoulders and say "That's just them professing their beliefs"?
Yeah, I'd be against an Abortion is murder billboard, because abortion isn't murder.

I'd also be against a Homosexuality is sin billboard even though sin has no meaning, because this is singling out a group of people in a negative way.

If we were to come up with a similar billboard, perhaps you could have a billboard that says homosexuals are child rapists. I think that would be equally as horrid as having a billboard that says Mohammad is a rapist.

Sin does have a meaning to the believer, which in turn tells you exactly what they are saying. And you were just arguing on behalf of believers because of things THEY believed were true, so again you're all over the place.
08-06-2017, 06:53 PM
(07-06-2017 06:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think the idea of putting up billboards against any religion is weird. What's your target audience? Believers in that particular religion? Good luck with that. Non-believers? You may as well take up shooting fish in a barrel as a hobby.

And for all of it you're paying a few hundred dollars a month to rent that space.

It strikes me as someone engaging in an odd form of public masturbation.

Perhaps some view it as refusing to be stuffed into the closet.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
08-06-2017, 06:55 PM
(08-06-2017 02:36 AM)Stevil Wrote:  With the Jesus is the Son of God you must repent thing, who is that directly attacking?
All of the unrepentant.

Quote:As an Atheist I wouldn't feel attacked by it.
Ah! Then you have repented. Smile

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
08-06-2017, 07:03 PM
(08-06-2017 12:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  How does that even compare to having a worshipped and adored entity being called a rapist?
About like having a worshipped and adored entity that is -- by His own supposed Word -- an angry, jealous, murderous, genocidal slave-monger.

Don't forget that Christians don't worship Jesus, they worship God, of which Jesus is just one-third part. Jahweh is his own "good-cop / bad-cop".

Handy, that.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
08-06-2017, 07:08 PM
(08-06-2017 03:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

Why? By modern standards it's the truth.

Is it more horrid to paint someone in a negative manner with the truth, than with a fiction?

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
08-06-2017, 09:04 PM
(08-06-2017 03:40 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Sin does have a meaning to the believer, which in turn tells you exactly what they are saying. And you were just arguing on behalf of believers because of things THEY believed were true, so again you're all over the place.
It's all about context. When the billboard is about Muslims then it needs to be in the context of Muslim beliefs.
When the billboard is about homosexuals then it needs to be in the context of homosexuals.
As far as I know, not all homosexuals are Christians.

Me being a non Christian, the idea of myself being sinful is nonsensical. What the hell does sinful even mean?

But if someone I cared about. Say my father, or mother, was accussed on a billboard of being a rapist. Of course I'd get upset about it and want the billboard taken down.

Honestly you'd have to be a full blown idiot to wonder why Muslims might get upset about a billboard proclaiming Mohammed to be a rapist.
08-06-2017, 09:06 PM
(08-06-2017 07:08 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 03:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yeah, I'd be against an Abortion is murder billboard, because abortion isn't murder.

Why? By modern standards it's the truth.

Is it more horrid to paint someone in a negative manner with the truth, than with a fiction?

Was Mohammed convicted of rape? Who did he rape?
08-06-2017, 11:27 PM
(08-06-2017 09:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Honestly you'd have to be a full blown idiot to wonder why Muslims might get upset about a billboard proclaiming Mohammed to be a rapist.

And you'd have to be pretty dead set in a chosen narrative to disregard everything said in this thread to point out a view that absolutely no one has had thus far. Nobody is disputing the fact that calling Mohamed a rapist is...maybe slightly vexing to those who practice the Muslim faith.

I might agree with some points made about billboards perhaps not being the most couth method of making an argument. But it's a thing and we're talking about it so what the fuck, you know? It's either this or Trump, and I need a distraction from that shit.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post