Muslims, Christians, Jews -- Worshiping the same God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Muslims, Christians, Jews -- Worshiping the same God?
It is a meaningless question unless said deity actually exists. Otherwise, it's different figments of different imaginations. Likewise, any two people sitting next to each other in shul, church, masjid, etc.

Let's pin it down further:

The Muslim one doesn't have a son.
The Jewish one doesn't have a mother.

Angel

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Abdul Alhazred's post
06-02-2016, 10:15 PM
RE: Muslims, Christians, Jews -- Worshiping the same God?
Yup, same alleged god, just has different racing stripes in each case, and the different stripes lead to hatred. Pfff.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
06-02-2016, 11:51 PM
It would likely be more accurate to say that they all diverged from the same ancestral mythos. The current gods of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have little to do with one another beyond common ancestry. The same could be said for many of the Christian groups for that matter. I can't imagine the Greek Orthodox having a great deal in common with the Southern Baptists.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
08-02-2016, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 12:27 PM by Deltabravo.)
I live in a predominantly Muslim country and read articles by Muslims in newpapers.

What is scaring me these days is that there seems to me to be a conception among many westerners that we are, in fact, all worshipping the same god as Christians, Jews and Muslims, and that he is a "nice guy". (When I say "we" I don't mean "us" here of course)

We get Obama, for instance, speaking at a Mosque and saying that Islam is a peaceful religion. What I know of Islam tells me it isn't the same as Christianity but a lot of people seem to think that "religion" means something involving "do unto others as you would be done by" as in Christianity. So, Christians can be duped into thinking that Islam is a religion so it must be peaceful. But it isn't. The god of Islam isn't a peaceful kind of guy. Muslims don't see god as loving. Allah can be quite a nasty guy, throwing people into the "crusher", advising people to chop pieces off each other, have numerous wives and all that kind of stuff that we associate with Islam.

Muslims, on the other hand, don't read their own Koran so they sure as f don't read the New Testament so they have absolutely no idea what Christianity is about. They just hear that Westerners are all Christian, that Westerners are a bunch of bastards who don't like Muslims and they figure that Christianity is a murderous religion because it has to be, since all religion is like Islam, bloodthirsty and barbaric.

So, what we have is two solitudes. People in two different religions who think, on the one hand, that religion is about peace so all religion is ok, and on the other, that all religion is bloodthirsty.

It's an impossible situation for world peace in the short to middle term because Muslims don't read anything about other relgions and are told what to think, since it's a cult.

Also, I have to add that the God of the Jews was, of course, Horus, who was, on the one hand, a sky warrior, and on the other hand, a Good Shepherd. The Romans came along and changed him into a man and brought him down to earth, thus creating both Christianity and a very good series of books by Ron Ellis. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b...2f84ac.jpg

I think that's all that really needs to be said on the subject of all religions. Which is good news for all of us because this now ends all discussion on religion for all time and we can now move on to more important things like the hockey scores.
08-02-2016, 12:42 PM
(06-02-2016 07:58 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  It is a meaningless question unless said deity actually exists. Otherwise, it's different figments of different imaginations. Likewise, any two people sitting next to each other in shul, church, masjid, etc.

Angel
They share similar stories and characters, all being derived from the stories of the Old T.
They have "One true god" mantra.

The god is merely a concept, the personality isn't real, no-one knows or worships the personality of god.
08-02-2016, 12:45 PM
(08-02-2016 12:22 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  IThe god of Islam isn't a peaceful kind of guy. Muslims don't see god as loving. Allah can be quite a nasty guy, throwing people into the "crusher", advising people to chop pieces off each other, have numerous wives and all that kind of stuff that we associate with Islam.
OK, not too dissimilar to the Christian got of the OT then.

(08-02-2016 12:22 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Muslims, on the other hand, don't read their own Koran
Not too dissimilar to Christians.
08-02-2016, 01:01 PM
(06-02-2016 07:58 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  It is a meaningless question unless said deity actually exists. Otherwise, it's different figments of different imaginations. Likewise, any two people sitting next to each other in shul, church, masjid, etc.

Angel

Jews believe muslims worship the same deity, but that Christianity's god is an idol. It is permitted for a Jew to attend services at a mosque, but not at a church.
08-02-2016, 03:39 PM
(08-02-2016 01:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

Angel

Jews believe muslims worship the same deity, but that Christianity's god is an idol. It is permitted for a Jew to attend services at a mosque, but not at a church.

Permitted? By whom? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2016, 03:44 PM
(08-02-2016 03:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 01:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Jews believe muslims worship the same deity, but that Christianity's god is an idol. It is permitted for a Jew to attend services at a mosque, but not at a church.

Permitted? By whom? Consider

Permitted by each individual Jew who chooses to adhere to the established Jewish law.
08-02-2016, 04:00 PM
[Image: oOMRi.png]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.