Muslims are Victims and Islamaphobia is racism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Muslims are Victims and Islamaphobia is racism?
This guy, Nathan lean, has written articles about people's beliefs to Islam. He seems to believe that we are wrong to be fearful and question the tennents of Islam.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gues..._blog.html

He has an interesting book coming out soon called "The Islamaphobia Industry".

I'd love this guy to debate Sam Harris.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2012, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 07:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Muslims are Victims and Islamaphobia is racism?
(13-09-2012 08:02 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  This guy, Nathan lean, has written articles about people's beliefs to Islam. He seems to believe that we are wrong to be fearful and question the tennents of Islam.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gues..._blog.html

He has an interesting book coming out soon called "The Islamaphobia Industry".

I'd love this guy to debate Sam Harris.

I think he's got it wrong. Islam is not the problem, in the single instance. All of religion is the problem, in general. Yes, some people discriminate against some Islamists, in some instances, but religion in general has a "favored" status in this country. Their churches and schools, and affiliated organizations expect and use tax payer provided services, and exist in this society, with all it's privileges, and pay no taxes.

There should be no discrimination. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. But .....

Islam has brought it's own problems on itself. If from day 1, after 9/11, they had had a national conference, and elected a national spokes-person, who was well-spoken, attractive, articulate, available, and had a charismatic "presence", who, when bad things happened, could or would speak out with a unified voice, for Islam, AND if the religious leaders, with a unified voice condemned barbaric acts, and used their own "fatwah" system against their own evildoers, they would not be in the position they are today.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I think perhaps there might be a different article to illustrate the thread title?

I could not find where the author made the equation of Islamophobia to racism.

I live and work in a predominantly Muslim region and I would argue that muslims are victims in the same way that christians are victims of pastors and priests. And if the stats. quoted in the article are true, they are also victims of hate crimes in the US in the same way that christians are victims of hate crimes in Egypt, Pakistan etc.

"... one of the most recent studies ... found that nearly half of all Americans believe that the values of Islam are incompatible with American values." --- doesn't this simply reveal a lack of knowledge, understanding and empathy.
One could argue that "the values of christianity are incompatible with American values" if taken literally.

So, I didn't really find anything to argue with in the article.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-09-2012, 08:26 PM
(13-09-2012 08:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... If from day 1, after 9/11, they had had a national conference, and elected a national spokes-person, who was well-spoken, attractive, articulate, available, and had a charismatic "presence", who, when bad things happened, could or would speak out with a unified voice, for Islam, ....

Are you saying that they should get themselves a pope?

13-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Many of the leaders who sympathize with the rest are labeled fakirs (unbelievers) and usually consider muslim impostors.

You know the whole no true scotts man fallacy.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
13-09-2012, 08:50 PM
(13-09-2012 08:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 08:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... If from day 1, after 9/11, they had had a national conference, and elected a national spokes-person, who was well-spoken, attractive, articulate, available, and had a charismatic "presence", who, when bad things happened, could or would speak out with a unified voice, for Islam, ....

Are you saying that they should get themselves a pope?

A PR guy. Call him/her whatever. Come to think of it, I have heard a couple really intelligent, articulate British women Islamic scholars. Anything is better than the vacuum they have.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-09-2012, 10:40 PM

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I like Sam. I'm surprised he gets so many death threats though.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
14-09-2012, 12:57 AM
(14-09-2012 12:52 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I like Sam. I'm surprised he gets so many death threats though.

It isn't because Islam preaches peace.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
14-09-2012, 09:41 AM
(13-09-2012 10:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I really like Sam Harris on this. There is a problem with fundamentalist Islam because the fundamentals of Islam are not good.

If you say that, you are labeled a racist or a xenophobe. It's political correctness run amok.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post