Muslims in Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 04:57 PM
RE: Muslims in Australia
(29-03-2017 03:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:Have you ever watched South Park Alla?
Not really. I watched only one episode about Mormons. I don't call them bigots for doing satire. It really doesn't bother me when people make fun of Mormons. It doesn't bother me that there is this "the Book of Mormon" show. I would never go to watch it because I saw some parts and it is not for my taste. The only reason why I mentioned this show is because it seems to me that those people who call me "a bigot" do not call "a bigot" those who on purpose say "Morons" instead of "Mormons".

Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:The larger issue is get people who are fearful, believing whatever they read on a silly blog post that speaks to their fear; to actually reach out to those scary people, and suddenly those formally scary people are not so scary.
I agree with you. I am all for reaching out to Muslims. I am against banning Islam in America. I am pro first Amendment no matter what.
But let me just say something. Many times I was walking very late at night in Kiev. Streets were empty. When there was a man walking behind me or on an opposite side of the street my heart was racing like crazy. I had fear. Many of those men were good men. But because I knew that there were bad men who attack women/girls I had fear "what if this one is bad?" There were couple of times when I had to run and hide.
Was my fear reasonable? According to people on this thread, my fear would be unreasonable. I was prejudice towards men WHEN I was walking on empty dark streets late at night. Can someone blame me for having this unreasonable fear?

They don't have to blame you for the fear. But they can point out the fact that it is irrational. To be fair, I know nothing about Kiev. But in these United States, other than the usual caution one takes in big cities, you have less to fear from an Arab looking guy than from a law enforcement officer. Are you ever scared of cops? Probably not; there-in lies the irrationality of the fear.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
29-03-2017, 05:06 PM
(29-03-2017 03:30 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 03:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  I agree with you. I am all for reaching out to Muslims. I am against banning Islam in America. I am pro first Amendment no matter what.
But let me just say something. Many times I was walking very late at night in Kiev. Streets were empty. When there was a man walking behind me or on an opposite side of the street my heart was racing like crazy. I had fear. Many of those men were good men. But because I knew that there were bad men who attack women/girls I had fear "what if this one is bad?" There were couple of times when I had to run and hide.
Was my fear reasonable? According to people on this thread, my fear would be unreasonable. I was prejudice towards men WHEN I was walking on empty dark streets late at night. Can someone blame me for having this unreasonable fear?

I see the logic which leads you there. I don't think the fear is unreasonable, however. Sexual harassment and assault are very common. Predators who want a weaker target are more likely to find that in a woman walking the streets alone at night. Some men may think it's prejudice for women to behave cautiously in situations where they are vulnerable and alone with strangers (as I've heard some dudes argue). But it is not.

But Alla's fear is not the same. She is not saying she fears being with men alone on a street at night; but rather men who "look like an Arab". She has not expressed any fear for any other type of predator.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
29-03-2017, 05:24 PM
(29-03-2017 04:19 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 03:36 PM)kim Wrote:  Per the thread title, do you sarcastically mean keep letting them into Australia? Or just anywhere on the planet?

No one but you can help you to stop terrorising yourself. Shy

I live in America. I was near the towers just days before they fell, and working in Boston just days before the bombing. I'm probably a bit more familiar with terrorism than most. Maybe people should watch the documentary on New Hampshire native James Foley.

I remember the Australian prime minister say about 5 years ago that if Muslims didn't like it there to get the hell out...or something like that.

If I ever lose a grandchild or any family member to Islamic terrorism, I know what I have to do.

So what would that be? Gonna take a gun and head to the closest mosque?

If location equals being familiar with terrorism, I've got as much rationale for my opinion as you do. I live close to Boston. I know people whose friends and colleagues were on th 9/11 planes. I walked past the Marathon bomb location less than 24 hours before the bombing. I know doctors who treated the injured. The lockdown and shootout happened near a place I rehearsed every week.

I'm still not scared of Muslims, not in general, and certainly not the ones I know. Nor am I scared of immigrants. I'd never leave the house if I was scared of immigrants--almost a third of the people who live in my town are immigrants.

I'm scared of terrorists, sure, and also of fanatics. Fanatics can be dangerous because they care about ideas more than humans.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
29-03-2017, 05:42 PM
(29-03-2017 05:24 PM)julep Wrote:  I'm still not scared of Muslims, not in general, and certainly not the ones I know. Nor am I scared of immigrants. I'd never leave the house if I was scared of immigrants--almost a third of the people who live in my town are immigrants.

Somerville? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2017, 07:12 PM
(29-03-2017 05:24 PM)julep Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 04:19 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  I live in America. I was near the towers just days before they fell, and working in Boston just days before the bombing. I'm probably a bit more familiar with terrorism than most. Maybe people should watch the documentary on New Hampshire native James Foley.

I remember the Australian prime minister say about 5 years ago that if Muslims didn't like it there to get the hell out...or something like that.

If I ever lose a grandchild or any family member to Islamic terrorism, I know what I have to do.

So what would that be? Gonna take a gun and head to the closest mosque?

If location equals being familiar with terrorism, I've got as much rationale for my opinion as you do. I live close to Boston. I know people whose friends and colleagues were on th 9/11 planes. I walked past the Marathon bomb location less than 24 hours before the bombing. I know doctors who treated the injured. The lockdown and shootout happened near a place I rehearsed every week.

I'm still not scared of Muslims, not in general, and certainly not the ones I know. Nor am I scared of immigrants. I'd never leave the house if I was scared of immigrants--almost a third of the people who live in my town are immigrants.

I'm scared of terrorists, sure, and also of fanatics. Fanatics can be dangerous because they care about ideas more than humans.

Terrorist are Muslims by the way..
That's because you live in one of the most liberal states in the union! And you still haven't learned! Typical of a politically correct liberal!
29-03-2017, 07:17 PM
(29-03-2017 04:57 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 03:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  Not really. I watched only one episode about Mormons. I don't call them bigots for doing satire. It really doesn't bother me when people make fun of Mormons. It doesn't bother me that there is this "the Book of Mormon" show. I would never go to watch it because I saw some parts and it is not for my taste. The only reason why I mentioned this show is because it seems to me that those people who call me "a bigot" do not call "a bigot" those who on purpose say "Morons" instead of "Mormons".

I agree with you. I am all for reaching out to Muslims. I am against banning Islam in America. I am pro first Amendment no matter what.

They don't have to blame you for the fear. But they can point out the fact that it is irrational. To be fair, I know nothing about Kiev. But in these United States, other than the usual caution one takes in big cities, you have less to fear from an Arab looking guy than from a law enforcement officer. Are you ever scared of cops? Probably not; there-in lies the irrationality of the fear.

Somebody here does have common sense! I have guns to protect my self from bears, wild dogs, terrorist, bad people, and COPS!

Don't call the cops, you're liable to get shot!
29-03-2017, 07:17 PM
So, what are the odds that you will be targeted in a terrorist attack?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-03-2017, 08:14 PM
(29-03-2017 03:32 PM)Alla

[quote="kim' Wrote:  
Parker & Stone - the creators of Book Of Mormon, have their hands full so, they won't be tackling the Muslim world just yet.
I see.
[/quote]

Actually they did tackle Mohammad on South Park, Comedy Central received complaints and death threats over the second time they did. Parker and Stone were against having the snow pulled so they agreed to black out the image of Muhammad.

They weren't happy about it either. But Comedy Central airs the show.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-03-2017, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 08:25 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(29-03-2017 07:12 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  Terrorist are Muslims by the way..
That's because you live in one of the most liberal states in the union! And you still haven't learned! Typical of a politically correct liberal!

So the Irish Republican Army was not a terrorist organization?

I just saw a film clip about the Beatles where a member of the kkk self described their group as a "terrorist organization" during the '66 tour. This was on the news at the time.

There are many terrorist organizations in the US that have zero to do with Islam.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Jack Hammer Wrote:Islamic terrorism is the world's greatest threat and THEY ARE MUSLIM!

Would it be more accurate and helpful to focus on the problem of Islamic terrorism? From your perspective, if a terrorist happens to practice a particular belief system, then is it accurate to associate practitioners of that belief system with terrorist acts?

Jack Hammer Wrote:Nearly every place on Earth where there's war, CIVIL war, suicide bombings, beheadings, abductions, and so on....IT IS NEARLY ALL CAUSE BY MUSLIMS!

Is it caused by Muslims or by violent extremists who happen to practice the Islamic faith? What about the people who practice Islam who are peaceful and deplore the extreme, violent actions committed by Islamic terrorists? If such people are lumped in with terrorists, then could this further promote intercultural misunderstandings that alienate the people who actually want to peacefully co-exist with others who think differently? How can we effectively acknowledge and support these people while tackling the global threat of terrorism, which IMO, extends beyond any particular belief system or way of thinking?

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post