Muslims in Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 11:14 PM
RE: Muslims in Australia
(27-03-2017 10:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 09:16 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  And you don't see the difference? Are you a Muslim? Are you a Christian? Or is it you're simply, "politically correct?"

None of the above I am just not a bigot who relegates all people to a single group of others. I have met far more insanely overzealous white Christians that pose far more risk to security and safety than Muslims. In fact nearly all the Muslims I have met have been hard working and genuinely nice, but don't let facts shade your worldview.

Hands up who else immediately thought of Mike Pence?

And who thought of Ratzinger?

I concur, making the stereotyping fallacy indicates lack of critical thinking ... but also makes for entertaining posts in the Ranting Corner thread. I think we've all done it at some point.

All atheists are guilty of generalising. As are all women. Every time.

Let's hope nobody judges our entire personality, our entire reputation, just on the basis of one post.

Angel

Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2017, 11:43 PM
(27-03-2017 05:17 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 12:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Funny old thing, big news story here a few months ago was about a white boy who murdered his entire family after raping his sister and getting caught by his parents. Clearly white people are dangerous.

There's a big difference between a white boy killing his family as opposed to a religious fanatic who believes he will get virgins in paradise for flying jet liners into skyscrapers.
The difference? The white boy isn't devoted to a radical religion of over 1.5 billion people, many of whom have the same ideology.

ORLY? 1.5 billion fanatics all coming for you? Are you posting from under your bed?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-03-2017, 01:36 AM
(27-03-2017 05:17 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 12:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Funny old thing, big news story here a few months ago was about a white boy who murdered his entire family after raping his sister and getting caught by his parents. Clearly white people are dangerous.

There's a big difference between a white boy killing his family as opposed to a religious fanatic who believes he will get virgins in paradise for flying jet liners into skyscrapers.

It is but your example is neither here nor there - guy described in the OP is what would be valid counterexample.

If you want to compare islamic terrorism to "white" one then maybe try to remember IRA or RAF.

Quote:The difference? The white boy isn't devoted to a radical religion of over 1.5 billion people, many of whom have the same ideology.

He might have been devoted to less radical religion of over 2.2 billion people.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
28-03-2017, 03:31 AM
(27-03-2017 03:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  I *see*! Muslims are generally evil, whereas Christians, Bhuddists, Hindus and Jews and indeed atheists are mild as milk and never murder each other for religious reasons, unless they're mentally ill. Only Muslims are perfectly sane and then murder each other and indeed innocent bystanders purely because of religion.

This is exactly right. Unless of course you can link me to a few cases of Aussies murdered by other Aussies purely in the name of the Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, or Jewish religions.

Only Muslims kill in the name of Islam, or because of Islam.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-03-2017, 03:42 AM
(28-03-2017 03:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 03:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  I *see*! Muslims are generally evil, whereas Christians, Bhuddists, Hindus and Jews and indeed atheists are mild as milk and never murder each other for religious reasons, unless they're mentally ill. Only Muslims are perfectly sane and then murder each other and indeed innocent bystanders purely because of religion.

This is exactly right. Unless of course you can link me to a few cases of Aussies murdered by other Aussies purely in the name of the Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, or Jewish religions.

So christians murdering others that aren't Australian don't count, but we can just toss out the muslims in general for the purposes of this thread?

Nothing sus about that reasoning.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
28-03-2017, 03:47 AM
(27-03-2017 11:14 PM)DLJ Wrote:  All atheists are guilty of generalising. As are all women. Every time.

Sounds like a generalization....

Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-03-2017, 04:15 AM
(28-03-2017 03:31 AM)SYZ Wrote:  

Facepalm I think we're kinda talking past each other at this point.

My point: replace "white boy" in my original reply to you with "Muslim". Suddenly it becomes an example of how bad Muslims in general are, whereas when it's a white boy you see it as an example of one white person in particular being bad.

Even if I grant you that Islam makes people evil, which I absolutely do not so grant, what exactly do you propose to do about it? Ban Islam as a religion? Police what people must think?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-03-2017, 05:03 AM
(28-03-2017 03:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So christians murdering others that aren't Australian don't count, but we can just toss out the muslims in general for the purposes of this thread?

You too are missing the point. Christians here in Australia don't kill each other in the name and/or the cause of their Christianity. Muslims do.

28-03-2017, 05:11 AM
(28-03-2017 05:03 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 03:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So christians murdering others that aren't Australian don't count, but we can just toss out the muslims in general for the purposes of this thread?

You too are missing the point. Christians here in Australia don't kill each other in the name and/or the cause of their Christianity. Muslims do.

Muslims in general do this? Please cite statistics showing that in murder cases where the offender is Muslim the overwhelming reason stated for killing the victim was religious.

Also since you're doing the broad brush thing, you might as well cite further statistics showing that Muslims in general are more violent than other humans. Please don't forget to control for such things as social class.

Ah yes, and once you've proved that they are indeed more violent and terrible than other humans, please be so kind as to prove that the reason for this violence is simply their religion and not for example, historical unfair treatment at the hands of dickheads. After all the Middle East was a beacon of civilisation not so long ago.

[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
28-03-2017, 05:26 AM
(28-03-2017 04:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  Even if I grant you that Islam makes people evil, which I absolutely do not so grant, what exactly do you propose to do about it? Ban Islam as a religion? Police what people must think?

A good start here in Australia—because thus far we have a very low Islamic population—would be to get the AFP and the Federal Immigration and Border Control departments to carry out an intense background search of any Muslim migrant, especially those arriving here illegally from Indonesia. This would include family connections past and present, membership of radical organisations, political views, past un/employment status, prior criminal records if any, etc.

At the moment, large(ish) numbers of south-east Asian Muslims land in Australia on temporary (457) working visas—with absolutely zero background checks. Not good enough.