Must See Films You Failed To See (You Slacker, You)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Must See Films You Failed To See (You Slacker, You)
Never heard of Serenity,
Watched bits and pieces of LOTR (no idea which part), same for Star Wars, and have only seen Star trek in memes.

On the bright side though, I was recently forced into watching the Princess Bride because of a mafia game on AF Smile

[Image: 004.sig]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I don't know about "must see", but these are popular ones that I haven't seen.

Titanic
The Hobbit
Black Swan
American Sniper
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Theory of Everything
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi
Les Misérables
The Social Network

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2015, 11:19 AM
(11-10-2015 11:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know about "must see", but these are popular ones that I haven't seen.

Titanic
The Hobbit
Black Swan
American Sniper
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Theory of Everything
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi
Les Misérables
The Social Network

Not a one of those is "Must see" and most are don't waste your time.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-10-2015, 11:28 AM
(11-10-2015 11:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know about "must see", but these are popular ones that I haven't seen.

Titanic
The Hobbit
Black Swan

American Sniper
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Theory of Everything
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi
Les Misérables
The Social Network

Only the ones here in bold have I seen

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2015, 12:05 PM
(11-10-2015 11:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Life of Pi
Les Misérables

These are worth your time.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
11-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Yea Life of Pi is worth a watch.
It's got a bit of a religious feel to it but it's still good. Though the island bit I didn't understand at all but w/e.
11-10-2015, 09:29 PM
(07-10-2015 11:22 AM)beeglez Wrote:  I haven't seen Rocky Horror Picture Show, and really have no desire to.

Yes you do. Get the audience ''script" (the stuff you yell at the screen before the actors say their lines) ... the one from Michigan State is the funniest, and the filthiest, get loaded, and go with a bunch of people. It's an experience. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-10-2015, 06:58 PM
(11-10-2015 09:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 11:22 AM)beeglez Wrote:  I haven't seen Rocky Horror Picture Show, and really have no desire to.

Yes you do. Get the audience ''script" (the stuff you yell at the screen before the actors say their lines) ... the one from Michigan State is the funniest, and the filthiest, get loaded, and go with a bunch of people. It's an experience. Yes

What Bucky may not have made totally clear here is that seeing Rocky Horror at a movie theater that caters to the right audience for regular midnight showings can be a completely different experience from renting a DVD.

My wife and I were vacationing in Palm Springs and bored so we drive around to see the town. She saw Rocky on the marquee at the local theater and demanded we go. While we sat in the car waiting for the showtime a car pulled up with a whole family geared up for the works. They were ready for the whole gig. The father (we assumed) was blindfolded and the family were leading him to the door telling "you're gonna love this!" We assume he's never been. Wink. Boy was he in for a surprise.

If anything see it to know what the whole experience is about.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
12-10-2015, 07:01 PM
(10-10-2015 05:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 07:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Most of those from your list, Smurf (I don't think I know about Serenity but I've seen Rosie's Baby (I think I might have dozed off before it finished because I don't remember the ending).

Also:
Sound Of Music
ET
Gone With The Wind
All the Raiders of the Lost Arc series
All except the first Star Wars
Carrie
The Big Lebowski
Top Gun
Back to the Future (any of them)
Ghostbusters
Scarface
Blade Runner
Caddyshack
The Dark Knight
Fight Club
The Princess Bride

That'l do for now

How the fuck have you not seen Fight Club? It's literally one of the best films of all time. It's about social political issues not about a bunch of dudes pounding on eachother. It's hard to explain, you gotta watch it. Like now. Like, go download that shit and watch it right now. Don't even care if you're in the middle of a meeting, they will understand.

Hmmm. I didn't think it managed to be as deep as that, despite its best efforts. In the end my impression was that the film was about reality and madness (much like a decent Gilliam film) and the tenuous balance between them. And arrogance. And boredom.

[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
12-10-2015, 07:06 PM

Titanic
The Hobbit
Black Swan
American Sniper
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Theory of Everything
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi
Les Misérables
The Social Network

There are only 2 here I've not seen: American Sniper and The Social Network.

Black Swan was pretty good I thought. It certainly gave Natalie Portman the opportunity to remind audiences she had talent (to make up for Star Wars).

Most of the folks I know who enjoyed Grand Budapest were already Wes Anderson fans before seeing it. This had been established for both my wife and I say back. It's not his greatest work but it is good.