Must See Films You Failed To See (You Slacker, You)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Must See Films You Failed To See (You Slacker, You)
(12-10-2015 06:58 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 09:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes you do. Get the audience ''script" (the stuff you yell at the screen before the actors say their lines) ... the one from Michigan State is the funniest, and the filthiest, get loaded, and go with a bunch of people. It's an experience. Yes

What Bucky may not have made totally clear here is that seeing Rocky Horror at a movie theater that caters to the right audience for regular midnight showings can be a completely different experience from renting a DVD.

My wife and I were vacationing in Palm Springs and bored so we drive around to see the town. She saw Rocky on the marquee at the local theater and demanded we go. While we sat in the car waiting for the showtime a car pulled up with a whole family geared up for the works. They were ready for the whole gig. The father (we assumed) was blindfolded and the family were leading him to the door telling "you're gonna love this!" We assume he's never been. Wink. Boy was he in for a surprise.

If anything see it to know what the whole experience is about.

That's actually the main reason I don't go see it. When I see a movie, I want the audience to shut up and stay out of the way. The ideal movie experience for me would be a private screening where I'm the only one in the theater. When the audience insists on participating, that is a major turn-off for me. I have nothing against people who enjoy that sort of thing, but it's not for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Must See Films You Failed To See (You Slacker, You)
(13-10-2015 08:42 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 06:58 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  What Bucky may not have made totally clear here is that seeing Rocky Horror at a movie theater that caters to the right audience for regular midnight showings can be a completely different experience from renting a DVD.

My wife and I were vacationing in Palm Springs and bored so we drive around to see the town. She saw Rocky on the marquee at the local theater and demanded we go. While we sat in the car waiting for the showtime a car pulled up with a whole family geared up for the works. They were ready for the whole gig. The father (we assumed) was blindfolded and the family were leading him to the door telling "you're gonna love this!" We assume he's never been. Wink. Boy was he in for a surprise.

That's actually the main reason I don't go see it. When I see a movie, I want the audience to shut up and stay out of the way. The ideal movie experience for me would be a private screening where I'm the only one in the theater. When the audience insists on participating, that is a major turn-off for me. I have nothing against people who enjoy that sort of thing, but it's not for me.

Bah humbug?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
13-10-2015, 12:10 PM
(13-10-2015 08:42 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 06:58 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  What Bucky may not have made totally clear here is that seeing Rocky Horror at a movie theater that caters to the right audience for regular midnight showings can be a completely different experience from renting a DVD.

I wouldn't say anyone's first viewing of Rocky Horror Show should be that, I have a friend and that was his first experience seeing it and the whole routine of people doing stuff weirded him out.

I've never gone to a show like that but I still want to. It's more of the intention of it being a live theatre experience other than merely to see the movie. That's the atmosphere to it... so you can put that viewing/situation on my list of things i've "failed" to see. I realized looking at this thread again I like the choice of Failed to see.

Another one I thought of, maybe these aren't must see films that I've not seen but.

The Big Sleep. Largely because I like Noir films & to see what it was to understand the homage/mimacry in it's strange way of The Big Lebowski.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-10-2015, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 12:24 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
I've never seen the princess bride or goonies

Some movies I've skipped seeing in the theater because I wasn't into them and some I regretted.

Husband still gives me crap because I made him go see Dirty Dancing instead of terminator.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-10-2015, 12:23 PM
(11-10-2015 10:41 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  The one movie that always gives me that WTF moment when someone says they've never seen it is Office Space

Funny I've never heard of it until this thread

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-10-2015, 12:25 PM
(07-10-2015 07:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Most of those from your list, Smurf (I don't think I know about Serenity but I've seen Rosie's Baby (I think I might have dozed off before it finished because I don't remember the ending).

Also:
Sound Of Music
ET
Gone With The Wind
All the Raiders of the Lost Arc series
All except the first Star Wars
Carrie
The Big Lebowski
Top Gun
Back to the Future (any of them)
Ghostbusters
Scarface
Blade Runner
Caddyshack
The Dark Knight
Fight Club
The Princess Bride

That'l do for now

I saw all the above except Top Gun.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-10-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't think I have any must see movies. I'm don't really see a lot of movies and I don't really hear lot about movies. And the amount of movies that sounds okay is too damn low. Most seems to be boring crap or fast paced and fast cuts so you don't get to see much anyway.

Of that list you guys seem to use right now I have seen:

Sound Of Music
ET <- This, which is crap but used to be nice.
Gone With The Wind
All the Raiders of the Lost Arc series <- This, which is crap but used to be nice.
All except the first Star Wars <- This, which is crap but used to be nice.
Carrie <- pretty sure I must have seen it but can't remember
The Big Lebowski <- This, which is quite good.
Top Gun <- This, which is crap but used to be nice.
Back to the Future (any of them) <- This, which is crap but used to be nice.
Ghostbusters <- This, which is crap but used to be nice.
Scarface <- This, which is a good one
Blade Runner <- This, which was good but now is just okay.
Caddyshack
The Dark Knight <- This, which is okay i guess.
Fight Club <- This, which is a nice movie
The Princess Bride

so I guess I used to watch a lot of brain-dead movies but got grumpy and sour as I aged. (^_^)
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post