Must all government drift toward the will of the aristocracy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Must all government drift toward the will of the aristocracy?
Politics as Repeat Phenomenon: Bene Gesserit Training Manual Wrote:Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class — whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.
Politics as Repeat Phenomenon: Bene Gesserit Training Manual

This is a quote from Children of Dune by Frank Herbert that I found rather interesting and bookmarked. I think it applies just as much to our world.

Can anyone make a case against it?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 08:08 PM
RE: Must all government drift toward the will of the aristocracy?
Not me. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
20-07-2013, 07:37 AM
(19-07-2013 07:56 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
Politics as Repeat Phenomenon: Bene Gesserit Training Manual Wrote:Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class — whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.
Politics as Repeat Phenomenon: Bene Gesserit Training Manual

This is a quote from Children of Dune by Frank Herbert that I found rather interesting and bookmarked. I think it applies just as much to our world.

Can anyone make a case against it?

Scandinavian countries maintain a reasonable amount of fairness when it comes to class systems, primarily because the wealth equality in those nations is much more even. If the transition of wealth was smoother, there would be no aristocratic government.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
20-07-2013, 07:52 AM
If we let any underclass form who by choice or by law have less than one vote each, or allow an upper class to form that effectively has more than one vote due to power and/or money then government will shift from benefiting one to benefiting the other. Also the first-past-the-post voting system (as opposed to instant-runnoff, for example) makes it difficult to shift politics as it occurs to the actual political centre of a nation's people. Education is also a factor. If the populace is not making informed decisions they'll be easy to sway away from their own benefit.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post