Mustafa Akyol, Shariah, and Creationism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Mustafa Akyol, Shariah, and Creationism
I'm often frustrated by the New York Times' somewhat opaque—or perhaps somewhat P.C.—policy on comments to its articles and opinion pieces. I've inquired and been told that only about 10 percent are chosen for online public comment. I do appreciate the fact that they are curated, so the discussion does not descend into ad hominem madness and name-calling.

But I wish I could have commented on today's piece by Turkish writer Mustafa Akyol, "Shariah's Winding Path into Modernity." As one would expect, this Muslim apologist makes a very rational-sounding case that shariah is not the big bogeyman feared by many Americans.

I was annoyed, however, with his penultimate conclusory statement, which argues that a "modern" interpretation of the purpose of shariah law is merely, "the protection of five fundamental values: religion, life, property, reason and lineage."

Curious about Akyol, I looked him up. Turns out he's a creationist/intelligent design proponent who has been associated with the Discovery Institute.

Given that, I see no reason to trust Mr. Akyol to defend "reason."

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
17-07-2017, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 12:33 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Mustafa Akyol, Shariah, and Creationism
(17-07-2017 07:41 AM)claywise Wrote:  I see no reason to trust Mr. Akyol to defend "reason."

No, there is no reason. He is a religious apologist by his own words: "It is conceptually impossible ... for a Muslim who is serious about his faith to condemn Shariah."

Without reason as a first priority (rather than what people thought hundreds of years ago), there is little real hope of reform in cultures which call themselves Islamic.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
17-07-2017, 12:51 PM
(17-07-2017 12:13 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Without reason as a first priority (rather than what people thought hundreds of years ago), there is little real hope of reform in cultures which call themselves Islamic.

I'm sure to get tarred and feathered by certain people for saying this, but it seems to me this is the kind of deception we often see from "moderate" Muslims like this guy or Reza Azlan. Essentially, they are lying, but tarting it up enough that it *seems* reasonable.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
17-07-2017, 03:53 PM
(17-07-2017 12:51 PM)claywise Wrote:  I'm sure to get tarred and feathered by certain people for saying this, but it seems to me this is the kind of deception we often see from "moderate" Muslims like this guy or Reza Azlan. Essentially, they are lying, but tarting it up enough that it *seems* reasonable.

Christian apologists often act the same way and ignore what is inconvenient to their idealized version of their religion. People can be quite lazy about doing the necessary research to get more balanced perspectives, so they just repeat the party line.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post