My 6% moment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2011 01:06 PM by aesirus.)
My 6% moment
I'm new to the whole nontheist thing. It's only been about 4 months since I said the word, "Atheist" out loud. But I've pretty much been there for years. Denial is a powerful thing. Anyway, so I've found myself with less and less patience for people who just make bold theistic claims. I think they have never been called on their bullshit so they just keep going. But I'm not all that confrontational.

I work with other nurses who are pretty much all Christian and it's the same with all the support staff. There are a couple of new agey social workers and CNA's. So it's an everyday thing to hear staff and residents constantly talking about or referring to god. It doesn't bother me because they are not actually preaching to me.

Now to the story. I was talking with an assistant about the super moon and orbits. She asks me if I believe in all the 2012 stuff. Obviously I said no. A new Mayan calender simply starts after the old one is finished. It doesn't mean the end of the world. And the only reason it's getting so much press is because people are making money off of it. I said people always make money off of 'end of the world' prophesies and people have been buying it since the dawn of humans.

At this time a different assistant joins in from the sidelines. She says, 'I really do believe we are living in the end times though. All the signs are there. The book of Revelation is coming true right now.'

My blood pressure is rising while she's talking. I say, "People have been saying that for centuries. If it was ever going to happen it would've been at the tail end of the 14th century."

Her, "But we never know when it's going to happen. That's what it says in the Bible. Look at the earthquakes and all the wars."

Me, "Japan is on a fault line. They are going to get earth quakes. We live on a fault line and we're a couple hundred years overdue for a big quake. When we finally get one are you going to interpret that as a sign as well? As for wars, the majority of the ones we're in now are over religion. The Lybia thing is some nut wanting more power. That's been happening, again, since the dawn of humans."

Her, "Well I don't trust science at all. I don't listen to them. I just trust what's in my heart."

My face must have been turning red because the original assistant I was talking to stepped in and changed the subject. How can you argue with someone who would rather believe their feelings than verifiable facts?

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 03:43 PM
RE: My 6% moment
It's a good thing that science is completely irrelevant to the nursing profession. Huh
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2011, 03:52 PM

You can't. People like that will fight tooth and nail to resist anything you have to say that contradicts their beliefs no matter how much absolute truth you are laying before them. I personally think it's less of a desire to accept the truth as it is a realization that they have spent their entire life believing in a fairy tale. Theists are also real dramatic about the concept of life after death and just can't accept the fact that like all things on this planet, they will die one day.
(20-03-2011 03:43 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  It's a good thing that science is completely irrelevant to the nursing profession. Huh

haha good point.
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 04:56 PM
It scares me that there are people like that whose lives are in their hands. If I'm on a table getting cut on, I want the professional who believes what's in their head. Call me kooky.

But Sans is right, IMO. You aren't going to change their minds. At least while at work. But IMO that doesn't mean you should back down, either. If you hear BS, challenge it- at least as long as it doesn't hurt your work environment.

When it comes to that 2012 stuff, see if they can put their money where their faith is. Have them sign a contract that will allow you to take possession of all their stuff on January 1, 2013.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
20-03-2011, 07:03 PM
(20-03-2011 03:52 PM)SANSD8TY Wrote:  You can't. People like that will fight tooth and nail to resist anything you have to say that contradicts their beliefs no matter how much absolute truth you are laying before them.

This.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
21-03-2011, 04:29 AM
True , if people want to believe , they will believe.No matter what happens.They like their own opinions as opposed to reality - I've been there and it's comfortable to make stuff up to fit your own bias ideas and confirm your own opinion.

What does the title imply ? What does 6% mean ?

Quote:It's a good thing that science is completely irrelevant to the nursing profession.
If we're talking about a medical nurse - we have a big problem.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
21-03-2011, 08:44 AM
6% is from one of Seth's podcasts.

The person that said this is not a nurse. She's a NAC. However, i did work at a hospital where acute care nurses and a lot of the Docs were Christian fundy's. Even as a theist back then it confused me as to how that was possible.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
21-03-2011, 11:53 AM
(21-03-2011 08:44 AM)aesirus Wrote:  6% is from one of Seth's podcasts.

The person that said this is not a nurse. She's a NAC. However, i did work at a hospital where acute care nurses and a lot of the Docs were Christian fundy's. Even as a theist back then it confused me as to how that was possible.

Fundy doctors. Now that is scary shit.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
21-03-2011, 03:25 PM
The line between sanity and insanity is very wide and very heavily populated.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.