My 6 year old girl at school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2015, 02:53 PM
My 6 year old girl at school
Hi, I don't know if you fellow athiests can help me on this one but I have a huge huge problem. My daughter is being taught about religion for a whole month at school, firstly I believe religion is a wasted subject and should be changed to life skills! Manners, respect, house work ect. Secondly I don't want my daughter being brainwashed into any religion! Especially Islam which is the main religion being taught, I'm absolutely devastated that she will be learning about religion without an option that oppresses, segregates, divides and is against everything that I me and my family live for. Thirdly I want to arrange a meeting with the head teacher about this, but I'm scared that my daughters dad will be branded (.a typical lefty lazy response) a racist. I also don't want my daughter sitting in a classroom on her own and to be confused why she is left out! My daughter isn't christened or anything as I will not force anything on to my children as I see it as some form of abuse. They will make that decision for themselves when they are older! Im really confused to what to do and don't want my daughter being influenced or romanced by the "good side" of religion.

Please some body help.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
RE: My 6 year old girl at school
Welcome to TTA.

For what it's worth, my advice is ... allow it and counteract it.

There's a difference between being taught 'about' religions, myths and legends and being taught that scriptures are actually true.

It's a good opportunity to teach critical-thinking skills.

Read some Greek mythology for her bedtime stories ... make comparisons with monotheistic myths.
[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
09-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Where do you live? The US? Islam being taught in school?

Well, if it is just a class describing that different religions exist and what each of them believe..if that was presented in a non-biased way (unlikely) that might be a good thing. Although I think 6 is probably a bit too young.

(09-11-2015 02:53 PM)Rid3rz Wrote:  Thirdly I want to arrange a meeting with the head teacher about this, but I'm scared that my daughters dad will be branded (.a typical lefty lazy response) a racist.

What? Lefty? Racist? Huh?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
09-11-2015, 03:58 PM
I remember learning about Greek and Roman mythology in early high school. I remember that I wondered then why people would ever have believed those things. It was one of the first times I can recall when the cognitive dissonance alarm bells began to go off in my head about my own beliefs.

I do not see a problem with religion, in general, being taught in schools as cultural/historical study. In fact, if done properly, it could be a good thing for kids to see that different people believe different things. I would draw the line at the kids being encouraged to themselves believe in any of the myths being studied as truth. I would also draw the line at religion being taught as the source of good or morality. If it is studied at all for the moralistic value, then humanism should be discussed as a non-religious alternative.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
09-11-2015, 03:58 PM
(09-11-2015 03:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Where do you live? The US? Islam being taught in school?

Well, if it is just a class describing that different religions exist and what each of them believe..if that was presented in a non-biased way (unlikely) that might be a good thing. Although I think 6 is probably a bit too young.

Yeah, where you live could make a huge difference on what your options are. If you're in the USA and they're teaching religion in a public school there are several organizations you can contact that can take action on your behalf or at least offer you advice.

Quote:
(09-11-2015 02:53 PM)Rid3rz Wrote:  Thirdly I want to arrange a meeting with the head teacher about this, but I'm scared that my daughters dad will be branded (.a typical lefty lazy response) a racist.

What? Lefty? Racist? Huh?

I think this is in reference to the trend of people to label anyone who criticizes islam as "racist". Or anyone who criticizes a person who is a minority as a "racist". This has happened to me more times than I can count.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
09-11-2015, 03:59 PM
I agree with DLJ.

They are not teaching religion in school where my kids go, but there are other sources that try to feed it to them. Other family members or their friends trying to do what they believe is right by meddling where they needn't be meddling. It's frustrating, but teaching your children to think for themselves will go a long way toward helping them to navigate the craziness of the world on their own.

It's never too early for them to start learning to question everything.
09-11-2015, 04:06 PM
(09-11-2015 03:58 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
Quote:What? Lefty? Racist? Huh?

I think this is in reference to the trend of people to label anyone who criticizes islam as "racist". Or anyone who criticizes a person who is a minority as a "racist". This has happened to me more times than I can count.
Yeah I figured as much, but wanted him to elaborate. Especially on the "lefty" part, which I'm assuming is referring to political leaning. I don't claim to be adherent to any specific political philosophy, but it bugs me when people take a negative trait and then paint it over an entire political group just to further emphasize their disdain for that group. Dodgy

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
09-11-2015, 04:24 PM
(09-11-2015 03:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

For what it's worth, my advice is ... allow it and counteract it.

There's a difference between being taught 'about' religions, myths and legends and being taught that scriptures are actually true.

It's a good opportunity to teach critical-thinking skills.

Read some Greek mythology for her bedtime stories ... make comparisons with monotheistic myths.

As always, YES!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-11-2015, 11:48 AM
I do remember in school learning about other religions without being indoctrinated into them. It is hard for me to believe that what you daughter will be exposed to is indoctrination. Where do you live? Is it a public or private school?
10-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I wanted my son to learn about religions even at the young age of six. He did and eventually one of his college majors, and one master's degree, is in "comparative religions." It is fun to get him talking about different religions and he has a spiel that is essentially a two hour comedy show about religion. He has been all over the world and has passed himself off as Islamic or Jewish. The ability to do that has kept him safe in some very dangerous situations in the Middle East and Central Asia. [He also speaks Arabic among several other languages.] In this day and age, you can't know too much about various religions.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post