My 6 year old girl at school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: My 6 year old girl at school
(09-11-2015 03:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

For what it's worth, my advice is ... allow it and counteract it.

There's a difference between being taught 'about' religions, myths and legends and being taught that scriptures are actually true.

It's a good opportunity to teach critical-thinking skills.

Read some Greek mythology for her bedtime stories ... make comparisons with monotheistic myths.

I think you should take this advise and go with that. But I also think you should educate your self on basics of Islam as well. That way if she has any questions, you'll know what to say. I can help you on that if you are interested. Other than that I think you worry a bit too much. Islam its not a religion a 6 year old girl would understand very easily. It is a very oppressive religion especially for women, for that reason once you know some of the core fundamental rules of Islam you can easily open her eyes to whats right and wrong. Good luck Thumbsup

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
10-11-2015, 01:22 PM
(09-11-2015 03:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Read some Greek mythology for her bedtime stories ... make comparisons with monotheistic myths.

I think this is a great idea. Read about the old gods and illustrate to her how these were all once earnestly worshiped and thought of as being "real" but were eventually replaced and are now considered myth. She'll probably connect the dots on her own.

Religion, for better or worse, is a part of human history and a huge component of the various cultures of the people of earth. To be a knowledgeable citizen of the world a person should have a basic knowledge of a variety of religious traditions. I personally think 6 is a little young for this kind of thing, as the line between fantasy and reality is still very blurry at that age. Putting it off even a few years might ensure the kids have the necessary skills to look at things objectively. That's my two cents anyway.
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2015, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 02:22 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
It's not entirely useless for her to learn about religion. Religion is a central aspect of most people's lives, so it would actually be a good idea for her to learn about it instead of remaining ignorant about what other people believe. There's no reason for her to remain ignorant about it. Of course, you are rightly concerned that she could be brainwashed. Teach her critical thinking skills, bring her to science museums and things like that if you can. While you're at it you can teach her about the various problems with religious texts, too.
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
10-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Everyone seems to be in consensus.

Is it a private or public school? What country?

If it's in a US public, you may have grounds for bringing it up to the board.

The sad news is your child is already being judge by the other kids. It's what kids do.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin