My Africa blog

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-07-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: My Africa blog
(28-07-2014 09:59 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(23-07-2014 09:27 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  A requirement of the scholarship that funded my field school is writing a blog. I will post links to them in this thread. The first one just explains why I chose anthropology, how I came to learn about the field school, and the steps I took to get funding.

http://anapeinafrica.wordpress.com/2014/...l-started/

Write about the British colonization of Africa. It's worse than what Hitler did.

I'm sorry, in what universe is economic exploitation worse that outright wholesale extermination?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2014, 03:39 PM
(28-07-2014 02:49 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-07-2014 09:59 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Write about the British colonization of Africa. It's worse than what Hitler did.

I'm sorry, in what universe is economic exploitation worse that outright wholesale extermination?
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid613254
29-07-2014, 03:17 PM
One thing I won't share on my blog is that I've been terribly depressed after coming back. My time in Tanzania was a like an injection of life, and now that I'm home, I'm starting to go through withdrawal. My daily life is far more boring than what it was abroad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2014, 04:36 PM
(29-07-2014 03:17 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  One thing I won't share on my blog is that I've been terribly depressed after coming back. My time in Tanzania was a like an injection of life, and now that I'm home, I'm starting to go through withdrawal. My daily life is far more boring than what it was abroad.

You're done with school soon right? Or were you going on to get a doctorate after this? Can't remember. Just wondering if you can use your blue mood as motivation and fuel to go after a big dream career.

Great video on the blog. My road rage would do me no favors there Gasp

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
29-07-2014, 05:40 PM
(27-07-2014 11:37 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(26-07-2014 10:34 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just finished reading the first one, glad the funds all worked out, great job!! You really put in a lot of work to make this happen, and it was recognized Thumbsup talk about working to make your dreams come true! Oh, and I got my package today!!!! Hug
Thank you so much! It's got a special place in my home Yes
Laugh out load bringing sexy back... To Africa Laugh out load

I'm glad you like it. Those who donated still have to claim their sand. This is the third blog:

http://anapeinafrica.wordpress.com/2014/...y-arrival/

Such a cool experience, thanks for sharing it with us.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
29-07-2014, 07:58 PM
(29-07-2014 04:36 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  You're done with school soon right? Or were you going on to get a doctorate after this? Can't remember. Just wondering if you can use your blue mood as motivation and fuel to go after a big dream career.

I have one more semester to go before I finish up my bachelors in Anthropology. I do want to go on to get a doctorate. Unfortunately, I don't think my current state is going to fuel anything as it will be some time before I enter grad school. I'm taking a break before I start to apply. The only way to fix my mood is exposure to more people. I don't have any friends in the area where I live and I work on the weekends, which doesn't afford much of a social life.
29-07-2014, 08:35 PM
If your in africa can you bring me a Australopithecus bone?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-07-2014, 08:54 PM
(29-07-2014 07:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 04:36 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  You're done with school soon right? Or were you going on to get a doctorate after this? Can't remember. Just wondering if you can use your blue mood as motivation and fuel to go after a big dream career.

I have one more semester to go before I finish up my bachelors in Anthropology. I do want to go on to get a doctorate. Unfortunately, I don't think my current state is going to fuel anything as it will be some time before I enter grad school. I'm taking a break before I start to apply. The only way to fix my mood is exposure to more people. I don't have any friends in the area where I live and I work on the weekends, which doesn't afford much of a social life.

Well that's too bad Undecided if you're comfortable with social situations and meeting new people I'd try an atheist or skeptic group in your area via meetup.com. I'd bet there's stuff going on you could do outside of your work schedule.

And HOW could you not have friends I the area? You're smart, funny, and have a good sense of humor. Plus just a nice guy in general Big Grin Thumbsup ok now I'm being creepy Laugh out load Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
30-07-2014, 08:05 AM
(29-07-2014 08:35 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  If your in africa can you bring me a Australopithecus bone?

I'm not in Africa anymore. I did find and excavate a partial radius of a Paranthropus boisei, a member of the robust Australopithecines. It's the second specimen yet known. It is currently being held in the national museum in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. As for the many fossils littering the surface of the Gorge, the professors told us to "take pictures, leave footprints." They claim taking fossils home for personal collections is a slippery slope.

(29-07-2014 08:54 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Well that's too bad Undecided if you're comfortable with social situations and meeting new people I'd try an atheist or skeptic group in your area via meetup.com. I'd bet there's stuff going on you could do outside of your work schedule.

And HOW could you not have friends I the area? You're smart, funny, and have a good sense of humor. Plus just a nice guy in general Big Grin Thumbsup ok now I'm being creepy Laugh out load Hug

Thanks for all of the wonderful compliments. I have plenty of people I joke around with in class (when in session) and at work, but I always stay at a distance during my personal time. I can only blame my job so much for my non-existent social life. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder just prior to getting out of the military. It's a silly disorder, but it has kept me from having much of a social life for a long time. The trip was like a reawakening; it made me realize that I need to go out and do things instead of sitting in my apartment all of the time. Unfortunately, the campus is empty and I don't know anyone my age (33). Even if school was in session, I'm at least 10 years older than my classmates. I've been told by a few people that I don't look my age (exercise has it perks), but I guess I think no one will want to hang out with me. I'll just have to bite the bullet and be more outgoing.
30-07-2014, 04:20 PM
(30-07-2014 08:05 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 08:35 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  If your in africa can you bring me a Australopithecus bone?

I'm not in Africa anymore. I did find and excavate a partial radius of a Paranthropus boisei, a member of the robust Australopithecines. It's the second specimen yet known. It is currently being held in the national museum in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. As for the many fossils littering the surface of the Gorge, the professors told us to "take pictures, leave footprints." They claim taking fossils home for personal collections is a slippery slope.

(29-07-2014 08:54 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Well that's too bad Undecided if you're comfortable with social situations and meeting new people I'd try an atheist or skeptic group in your area via meetup.com. I'd bet there's stuff going on you could do outside of your work schedule.

Thanks for all of the wonderful compliments. I have plenty of people I joke around with in class (when in session) and at work, but I always stay at a distance during my personal time. I can only blame my job so much for my non-existent social life. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder just prior to getting out of the military. It's a silly disorder, but it has kept me from having much of a social life for a long time. The trip was like a reawakening; it made me realize that I need to go out and do things instead of sitting in my apartment all of the time. Unfortunately, the campus is empty and I don't know anyone my age (33). Even if school was in session, I'm at least 10 years older than my classmates. I've been told by a few people that I don't look my age (exercise has it perks), but I guess I think no one will want to hang out with me. I'll just have to bite the bullet and be more outgoing.

I know the feeling. I'm very socially awkward, and sometimes don't even want to spend time with the friends I do have. Meeting new people or going to parties just sound like awful experiences to me. Mingling at a party to me is how some people feel about public speaking. Kinda why I like this forum so much, I can meet and interact with new people, but I can lurk so as to pick and choose where and who with I want to participate. Even with people who seem to like me and initiate plans with me, I'm always a little sure they actually don't like me.

A question for you, and we can take this to pm if you don't want all this in the thread, or feel free not to answer at all if it's too personal Wink How did you get diagnosed? Were you having issues that you sought help for? I sometimes wonder if I should get evaluated, but I'm not sure what that entails or what happens once you get the diagnosis.

[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post