My Africa blog

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-02-2015, 09:02 AM
RE: My Africa blog
(03-02-2015 09:01 AM)cjlr Wrote:  All fascinating - and your photos are great!

Thanks. The photos don't do Olduvai Gorge justice.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 11:45 PM
The 9th post. I describe one of our dig sites and a possible 2 million-year-old manmade structure. No, this isn't pseudo archaeology stuff.

https://anapeinafrica.wordpress.com/2015...4-618-619/
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
05-02-2015, 10:19 PM
I didn’t know where to put this to make sure you saw it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-n...le-n300776

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2015, 07:32 PM
(05-02-2015 10:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I didn’t know where to put this to make sure you saw it.

Thanks. I read about that the other day. This just adds to the evidence for cultural transmission.

Here is blog #10. I describe the death of my beloved tent and two field trips.

https://anapeinafrica.wordpress.com/2015...y-5-and-6/
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
09-02-2015, 10:09 PM
(09-02-2015 07:32 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 10:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I didn’t know where to put this to make sure you saw it.

Thanks. I read about that the other day. This just adds to the evidence for cultural transmission.

The dune story I had never heard of before!
I have haggled in Africa and it is an eye opener. My best trade ever was paying $20 for the personal hand held club of a Masai warrior. I’m 6’1” and he was easily a head taller and majestic in his red shawl holding his club and spear.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-02-2015, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 11:57 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(09-02-2015 10:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 07:32 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Thanks. I read about that the other day. This just adds to the evidence for cultural transmission.

The dune story I had never heard of before!
I have haggled in Africa and it is an eye opener. My best trade ever was paying $20 for the personal hand held club of a Masai warrior. I’m 6’1” and he was easily a head taller and majestic in his red shawl holding his club and spear.

Nice trade! We visited the giant Maasai market (something I'll write about later) and one of our crew was a little overzealous in haggling for a personal weapon. This woman walked up to a random warrior, grabbed the spear out of his heads, and then started asking him loudly: "CAN...I...BUY...THIS, SI or NO?" That is not a typo, she actually worked in some Spanish (Spanish, English, and Swahili were the three main languages spoken at camp). What she did scared the shit out of me because, having studied martial arts history, I know weapons are considered by some cultures to be an extension of a warrior. She is lucky that he didn't get angry and do something. Luckily he was only slightly annoyed. We talked her into leaving the poor guy alone before she crossed any more lines.
09-02-2015, 10:45 PM
(09-02-2015 10:42 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Nice trade! We visited the giant Maasai market (something I'll write about later) and one of our crew was a little overzealous in haggling for a personal weapon. This woman walked up to a random warrior, grabbed the spear out of his heads, and then started asked him loudly: "CAN...I...BUY...THIS, SI or NO?" That is not a typo, she actually worked in some Spanish (Spanish, English, and Swahili were the three main languages spoken at camp). What she did scared the shit out of me because, having studied martial arts history, I know weapons are considered by some cultures to be an extension of a warrior. She is lucky that he didn't get angry and do something. Luckily he was only slightly annoyed. We talked her into leaving the poor guy alone before she crossed any more lines.

Facepalm

I’m surprised he let her live. Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-02-2015, 10:47 PM
(09-02-2015 10:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 10:42 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Nice trade! We visited the giant Maasai market (something I'll write about later) and one of our crew was a little overzealous in haggling for a personal weapon. This woman walked up to a random warrior, grabbed the spear out of his heads, and then started asked him loudly: "CAN...I...BUY...THIS, SI or NO?" That is not a typo, she actually worked in some Spanish (Spanish, English, and Swahili were the three main languages spoken at camp). What she did scared the shit out of me because, having studied martial arts history, I know weapons are considered by some cultures to be an extension of a warrior. She is lucky that he didn't get angry and do something. Luckily he was only slightly annoyed. We talked her into leaving the poor guy alone before she crossed any more lines.

Facepalm

I’m surprised he let her live. Laugh out load

He would have done us a favor because she was REALLY annoying.
12-02-2015, 11:56 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and eagerly await more entries. Very fine writing, I think you make a very good documentarian.
15-02-2015, 11:50 AM
(12-02-2015 11:56 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and eagerly await more entries. Very fine writing, I think you make a very good documentarian.

Thank you for the kind remarks.