My Arts Geared Brain is Too Stupid for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 05:13 PM
My Arts Geared Brain is Too Stupid for Atheism
Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I feel like I'm not intelligent enough to be a "good" atheist ("good" meaning one who can factually, effectively defend WHY and who is able to passionately argue for the side of logic and reason). Or, perhaps more specifically: I'm not smart (I'm talking about possessing the ability to grasp and process information) in the right areas.
I've never been math or science minded. I have an arts/english brain and clearly, based on my past, I haven't been a critical/free thinker. I'm in awe of the teens on here who are being raised in Christian homes but who have the type of minds/personalities to question and not just follow blindly.
My deconversion definitely consisted of reading and researching and listening to almost all of the podcasts in The Thinking Atheist archive. I'm reading Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman now. But, if I'm honest, I find it all very hard to retain. I know that I don't believe in a god because I know that I've read the evidence and it's convinced me... I just have a hard time recalling that evidence if it's not right in front of me. And, again, to be honest, I find a lot of the scientific proof to be dry and I have to force myself to read it and focus.
The thing that really keeps me strong in my anti-theism is this very strong feeling of knowing there is no god. But feelings don't really mean jackshit because they're really all Christians have to rely on and we all know they're completely deluded.
This is getting longer than I anticipated (I have this fear of not being understood, so I over-explain a lot) but I'm just wondering if there are any others who feel this way? I'm not really confident that I fully explained how I feel about this, but perhaps some of your comments might allow me to respond with more clarity.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
05-12-2013, 05:17 PM
RE: My Arts Geared Brain is Too Stupid for Atheism
(16-01-2013 06:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Story of Suzie" is the only one I've seen. It's what brought me here. Hell I've never even read a book on atheism, either. What's the point? I don't feel the slightest desire to intellectualize atheism. It just comes natural, if it don't your metaphysics is fucked up. No big deal as long as you keep that shit to yourself.

That is all. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be required to be a highly intellectual or brainy person to see the scam of religion
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I became an atheist naturally. I didn't read, see, hear anything related to atheism.

For years, I was an atheist without even thinking about the word. Then came the internet and questions and answers and everything and I became aware of what I was feeling.

I didn't feel the need to read a lot of things, but I was intrigued by the description of "The God Delusion" and I got it. From then on it went all "wow, that's exactly how I feel" and "it's like he's reading my mind". It wasn't a matter of "intellectualization", it was just becoming aware of what I was feeling, that it was normal, that it was logical and that it was my brain on its own that did this without even realizing it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
05-12-2013, 05:26 PM
You shouldn't even have to defend it, its part of who you are. Think about it, why even bother? You already overcame the god barrier focus on life now. Some atheist (myself included) are so wrapped up in talking about silly old religions all day. Go do some art work, write, whatever your passions are.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
05-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Everyone is born atheist. Drinking Beverage true story

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
05-12-2013, 05:29 PM
(05-12-2013 05:13 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I feel like I'm not intelligent enough to be a "good" atheist ("good" meaning one who can factually, effectively defend WHY and who is able to passionately argue for the side of logic and reason). Or, perhaps more specifically: I'm not smart (I'm talking about possessing the ability to grasp and process information) in the right areas.
I've never been math or science minded. I have an arts/english brain and clearly, based on my past, I haven't been a critical/free thinker. I'm in awe of the teens on here who are being raised in Christian homes but who have the type of minds/personalities to question and not just follow blindly.
My deconversion definitely consisted of reading and researching and listening to almost all of the podcasts in The Thinking Atheist archive. I'm reading Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman now. But, if I'm honest, I find it all very hard to retain. I know that I don't believe in a god because I know that I've read the evidence and it's convinced me... I just have a hard time recalling that evidence if it's not right in front of me. And, again, to be honest, I find a lot of the scientific proof to be dry and I have to force myself to read it and focus.
The thing that really keeps me strong in my anti-theism is this very strong feeling of knowing there is no god. But feelings don't really mean jackshit because they're really all Christians have to rely on and we all know they're completely deluded.
This is getting longer than I anticipated (I have this fear of not being understood, so I over-explain a lot) but I'm just wondering if there are any others who feel this way? I'm not really confident that I fully explained how I feel about this, but perhaps some of your comments might allow me to respond with more clarity.

Part of being a critical thinker is seeking out all the information you can on things you're interested in; it sounds like you've started down that path. It's one thing to feel like there's no god (as you acknowledged, feelings aren't facts). It's another to watch the debates, read the apologetic and atheist arguments, and form your own conclusion. The fact that you can't recall arguments and data at a moment's has no bearing on their validity. You might lose a debate because you can't recall a certain counter-argument, but that doesn't necessarily make your position wrong. It just makes you a poor debater Tongue

I'm a musician and I feel your pain. I've always had to work extra hard to absorb facts and information, unless they were related to a subject I was extremely interested in. Show me a guitar lick and I'll remember it forever. Tell me how many electrons a molecule has and I'll forget before I've walked out of the room.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 3 users Like guitar_nut's post
05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
You either believe in god(s) or not. Pretty simple, really. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
(05-12-2013 05:29 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 05:13 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I feel like I'm not intelligent enough to be a "good" atheist ("good" meaning one who can factually, effectively defend WHY and who is able to passionately argue for the side of logic and reason). Or, perhaps more specifically: I'm not smart (I'm talking about possessing the ability to grasp and process information) in the right areas.

Part of being a critical thinker is seeking out all the information you can on things you're interested in; it sounds like you've started down that path. It's one thing to feel like there's no god (as you acknowledged, feelings aren't facts). It's another to watch the debates, read the apologetic and atheist arguments, and form your own conclusion. The fact that you can't recall arguments and data at a moment's has no bearing on their validity. You might lose a debate because you can't recall a certain counter-argument, but that doesn't necessarily make your position wrong. It just makes you a poor debater Tongue

I'm a musician and I feel your pain. I've always had to work extra hard to absorb facts and information, unless they were related to a subject I was extremely interested in. Show me a guitar lick and I'll remember it forever. Tell me how many electrons a molecule has and I'll forget before I've walked out of the room.

Wow. Excellent posts, both of you. I'm in exactly the same boat. Welcome to the club!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I stopped believing shit when I was ten, and I haven't believed shit since.

If you had asked me why I didn't believe when I was 10, I would have told you that I was too old for fairy tales.

And that is all it takes to be an atheist.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post