My Arts Geared Brain is Too Stupid for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 04:10 AM
RE: My Arts Geared Brain is Too Stupid for Atheism
(06-12-2013 10:50 AM)QueenTit Wrote:  I understand a lot of you who are saying that atheism is kind of the default and that religion should be the one to have to prove itself, but in my world, it's been the opposite, which is part of the reason I think I feel this way.

I have five atheist family members/friends. The rest of my world is made of, as far as I know, all people who believe in a god and are religious. I'm not "out" about my not believing in a deity. My husband knows and two friends are aware of it but that's it. I grew up in a religious home, religious school and I'm surrounded by very religious people. If you want people to know, then by all means be transparent but don't feel you are obligated to explain to them your lack of belief. It's none of their business unless you feel like sharing. Also, if you don't want to debate make that clear too. You don't owe them anything - except the boyfriend. I'd say you do owe him some sort of open communication.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dena's post
07-12-2013, 09:29 AM
(07-12-2013 04:10 AM)Dena Wrote:  I have five atheist family members/friends. The rest of my world is made of, as far as I know, all people who believe in a god and are religious. I'm not "out" about my not believing in a deity. My husband knows and two friends are aware of it but that's it. I grew up in a religious home, religious school and I'm surrounded by very religious people. If you want people to know, then by all means be transparent but don't feel you are obligated to explain to them your lack of belief. It's none of their business unless you feel like sharing. Also, if you don't want to debate make that clear too. You don't owe them anything - except the boyfriend. I'd say you do owe him some sort of open communication.

Thanks for this reply.
My boyfriend and my mom are both people that I have extensive conversations with about the things I'm discovering. Both are "in recovery" from their respective former religions and both would define themselves as agnostic right now, so there isn't any backlash from them, and it's extremely nice to have that safe place in my real life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Well now I almost feel bad for being a quantum physicist with a predilection for magniloquence.

Sleepy

... this is my signature!
07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Queen, what are your objectives? Are you actually wanting to reach/debate the missionaries (who aren't your mother-in-law), or do you simply wish to be rid of them?

(07-12-2013 10:13 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Well now I almost feel bad for being a quantum physicist with a predilection for magniloquence.

Sleepy

Can't you be bad AND good at the same time? Oh, look, layman quantum humor! I'm so clever! Hobo
07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
(05-12-2013 05:13 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I feel like I'm not intelligent enough to be a "good" atheist ("good" meaning one who can factually, effectively defend WHY and who is able to passionately argue for the side of logic and reason). Or, perhaps more specifically: I'm not smart (I'm talking about possessing the ability to grasp and process information) in the right areas.
I've never been math or science minded. I have an arts/english brain and clearly, based on my past, I haven't been a critical/free thinker. I'm in awe of the teens on here who are being raised in Christian homes but who have the type of minds/personalities to question and not just follow blindly.
My deconversion definitely consisted of reading and researching and listening to almost all of the podcasts in The Thinking Atheist archive. I'm reading Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman now. But, if I'm honest, I find it all very hard to retain. I know that I don't believe in a god because I know that I've read the evidence and it's convinced me... I just have a hard time recalling that evidence if it's not right in front of me. And, again, to be honest, I find a lot of the scientific proof to be dry and I have to force myself to read it and focus.
The thing that really keeps me strong in my anti-theism is this very strong feeling of knowing there is no god. But feelings don't really mean jackshit because they're really all Christians have to rely on and we all know they're completely deluded.
This is getting longer than I anticipated (I have this fear of not being understood, so I over-explain a lot) but I'm just wondering if there are any others who feel this way? I'm not really confident that I fully explained how I feel about this, but perhaps some of your comments might allow me to respond with more clarity.

Queen,

I think you take all this a bit too seriously. As an atheist you do not have to justify anything, really, unless you have the hobby to do so.

A scientific oriented mind might help to study mathematics, quantum physics, relativity, string theory, etc. but it is not necessarily required to dismiss fairies, gods or intergalactic invisible penguins.

Ciao

- viole
[+] 4 users Like viole's post
08-12-2013, 08:34 AM
In response to the OP,
Me too! I majored in Photography and IR Weeping
I can't remember arguments for shit so I'm pretty terrible at debating! (But I like to tell people they're wrong Evil_monster )
[+] 4 users Like Colourcraze's post
08-12-2013, 09:09 AM
In response to your original post I feel the same way. In fact I've been called stupid on this very forum because I have my own opinions and I don't fit into, what some think, is that "normal" atheist mold. I am a creative person but my reading comprehension and my memory are not the best. I love history but I'm horrible at spouting out names and dates off the top of my head. Always sucked at math and English. Spell check saves my ass all the time. I would rather spend my day on the trail enjoying nature. I would be there right now if it wasn't so damn cold out. brrr.
Just wanted to add my two cents.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
08-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Trust me,the only time when you have to "defend" yourself is when a theist threatens you with a physical assault.
04-01-2014, 01:01 AM
My Arts Geared Brain is Too Stupid for Atheism
There's really no reason in the world you should feel the need to defend your beliefs.
IMO arguing is a silly waste of time.
04-01-2014, 01:21 AM
(05-12-2013 05:20 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be required to be a highly intellectual or brainy person to see the scam of religion

But that's just it. The scam is designed in a way to catch the unintellectual. They encourage the non-use of your brain by spitting verses like "god takes the wisdom of the wise and makes it foolishness". So don't read the word like a scientist because it won't make sense. Blessed is he that believed without seeing and all the like. Simple encouragement to not think. When I was still lost I saw these things as virtues.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post