My Aunt Cathy vs. The Poor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2015, 01:36 PM
My Aunt Cathy vs. The Poor
Yes, I'm linking y'all to my Facebook page. No, I'm not worried about that. Feel free to add me as Friend if you wish. But y'all gotta see this. This is one of my most religious family members, and that's saying a lot.

Hope the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s...ed_comment

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: My Aunt Cathy vs. The Poor
Ha! I Shared/posted another on my FBook page that said, "To the families of the 4 Marines, our thoughts and prayers are with you."

A snarky cousin of mine messaged me with, "I thought you didn't believe in prayer."

I replied: "It says 'thoughts and prayers'. You pray... I think."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Fucking people. Facepalm

Your aunt's opinion isn't rare. Most people think people on assistance are lazy or have done something to deserve their plight.

It's a coping mechinasim tho, people don't like to think much about what makes them most uncomfortable. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-07-2015, 02:17 PM
I have known people like your aunt: they've really struggled and instead of making them more empathetic, their experiences hardened their hearts and made them bitter (not saying this about your aunt, just the people I know).
It reminds me of those old doctors who justify today's inhuman medical intern rotations ... "well we had to do it, so now it's your turn." Progress be damned.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
17-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Yes, the Cajuns are a generally very poor people; that's what makes it so hard for me to understand.

My aunt's reaction is very typical for a Southerner... they love them some Reagan. Even though he literally made up the story of the Welfare Queen for political points, and in doing so harmed millions of people.

What bothers me about it is I provided a link that *shows* it's an unsupportable position, that clearly demonstrates with ample statistics and facts the actual truth about people on public assistance, and she prefers the hateful ignorance.

In about six minutes, though, she'll send me a link about the love of Jesus Christ and how it saves her every day, or somesuch.

I just...don't...get them.

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Yup, I'm with you, I'm a pragmatist. Do I WANT my tax dollars supporting people's drug habits? Not particularly, but if testing them costs 20X as much as the "fraud" you're eliminating, it's an idiotic viewpoint to support the testing. At the end of the day I want as much of my tax money as possible to go towards the benefits themselves, not in misguided, costly witch hunts that fail to produce meaningful reductions in waste and/or abuse of the system.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
17-07-2015, 04:20 PM
As you'll see if you look at my FB page, that's essentially what I said to my aunt. What's the financial cost of riding a moral high horse? A lot, apparently.

The article I posted should be read AND UNDERSTOOD by everyone.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/11/comm...e-welfare/

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-07-2015, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2015 05:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
oopsy doble poste

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-07-2015, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2015 05:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
Does your Aunt not realize the rest of us are subsidizing her $8500/month drug habit? Maybe she should be tested regularly for illegal drugs before the insurance company will cover it. She talks about "blessed to have insurance" as if she won some sorta lottery instead of a basic human right. Christians be cray cray.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-07-2015, 06:31 PM
(17-07-2015 01:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yes, I'm linking y'all to my Facebook page. No, I'm not worried about that. Feel free to add me as Friend if you wish. But y'all gotta see this. This is one of my most religious family members, and that's saying a lot.

Hope the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s...ed_comment

Done - friend request sent. Thanks for the invitation. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post