My Big TOE - Theory of everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2011, 12:31 PM

My Big TOE - Theory of everything
Have any of you looked into concepts by Dr Thomas Campbell? He has a book trilogy called "My Big TOE" which is supposed to discuss a theory of everything, taking in concepts of physics, metaphysics, consciousness, fringe concepts and theology into a larger theory that leads to meditation and out of body experiences, even to multiple realities. Some of it is out there, so take it with a large dose of salt, but stay open minded and skeptical.

Here is the first vid (of 18) from a presentation he did. I thought it was very interesting to watch, as I find the topics of consciousness to be very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxECb7zcQhQ

I find it interesting and almost thinking about diving into his very long trilogy of books.

What do you guys think of these videos?
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2011, 10:59 PM
RE: My Big TOE - Theory of everything
The saltmine isn't big enough for me to waste my time watching this. When it becomes mainstream science I will look at it. These fringe oddballs seldom break real ground. The vast majority are chasing ideas with no substance or trying to put things together that are unrelated. If this guy is onto something worth while, decent evidence and proof will come.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Sounds like he got a high from his research, and believes others can experience it, and if people realize the experience in community it will bring peace on earth - it's the same rhetoric I argue about classification. Don't pay any attention to this guy, he is a fraud!

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
14-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Well, like I said, take with many grains of salt and skepticism with that open mindedness. I too agree that his stuff is out there, but I like to see someone thinking outside of the box a little bit. It's all a bit syncretistic and doesn't really fit, but who knows, he might be on to something worth considering. The first half of his lectures aren't too bad, but I'm not sure about all of the OBE and meditation stuff. Of course, many claim to have significant experiences through meditation and I haven't tried it honestly, so it also would not be intellectually honest for me to discount it all right off the bat.

Anyhow, I'm intrigued by the entire concepts of consciousness, a sixth sense (third eye), auras, energy, the pineal gland, using only a certain level of our brains capacity, other dimensions, quantum and relativistic physics, metaphysics and the various theories that surround them. I appreciate Dr Campbell's attempts to try and harmonize all of those concepts into his big Theory Of Everything (TOE).
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Sorry to bring up this thread after some months, I just saw that the original posters question was left with so few responses.

(14-04-2011 03:19 PM)Dbutz Wrote:  Well, like I said, take with many grains of salt and skepticism with that open mindedness. I too agree that his stuff is out there, but I like to see someone thinking outside of the box a little bit.

I am reading this book now, I have read some other books which could be labeled as New Age mumbo-jumbo (like "Holographic universe", R.Monroe's books, M.Newton's "Destiny of souls").
Hmm, what can I say... I cannot prove anything, but I have experienced some things before I even read all of that stuff. Mostly those were my own experiences, which brought me to library to find out more about things that do not fit in my mind. It could be called a wishful thinking, but for me it was another way around - things happened and after that I wished I could explain them as a coincidence.

Mostly my weird experiences are lucid dreams since childhood with periods of pretty high precision future prediction. It never works on demand, so there is no way I could do a controlled experiment, but when it happens, it has too much precision to be just a coincidence. I have studied some math and statistics (I am a programmer), so I have a bit of a feeling when something jumps out of normal probability. You cannot control whether you like oranges or not, you even cannot prove to anyone that you like oranges, that is so subjective to you. But it still is your reality - you like oranges. The same is the situation with precognitive dreams.

Just to see the other point of view of the "Richard Dawkins vs Thomas Campbell" story, read this post:
http://www.mbt.dreamhosters.com/forums/v...&view=next

RD requested the evidence because he was sure there won't be any. But when they tried to present the evidence, he "ran away". I think, both sides are equally bad: "wishful thinking" and a "belief system of denying everything that I cannot explain".
Open mind is not about accepting everything that is being thrown at you, open mind is being skeptical about the things that you think you know. Sometimes it's a recursion - to become a bit skeptic about your skepticism Big Grin.

It is just so bad to see that people are taking sides after exploring just one side and ignoring the other. I think, the atheist who has not read Bible is not much better than a catholic who has not read anything about darwinism. Read them both, find the common points, explore yourself what you can, and only after that you can take any side you wish. But even after that cointinue being skeptical about your choice.

Happy New Year!

Martin
05-01-2012, 12:31 AM
(03-01-2012 04:12 AM)midix Wrote:  Sorry to bring up this thread after some months, I just saw that the original posters question was left with so few responses.

(14-04-2011 03:19 PM)Dbutz Wrote:  Well, like I said, take with many grains of salt and skepticism with that open mindedness. I too agree that his stuff is out there, but I like to see someone thinking outside of the box a little bit.

I am reading this book now, I have read some other books which could be labeled as New Age mumbo-jumbo (like "Holographic universe", R.Monroe's books, M.Newton's "Destiny of souls").
Hmm, what can I say... I cannot prove anything, but I have experienced some things before I even read all of that stuff. Mostly those were my own experiences, which brought me to library to find out more about things that do not fit in my mind. It could be called a wishful thinking, but for me it was another way around - things happened and after that I wished I could explain them as a coincidence.

Mostly my weird experiences are lucid dreams since childhood with periods of pretty high precision future prediction. It never works on demand, so there is no way I could do a controlled experiment, but when it happens, it has too much precision to be just a coincidence. I have studied some math and statistics (I am a programmer), so I have a bit of a feeling when something jumps out of normal probability. You cannot control whether you like oranges or not, you even cannot prove to anyone that you like oranges, that is so subjective to you. But it still is your reality - you like oranges. The same is the situation with precognitive dreams.

Just to see the other point of view of the "Richard Dawkins vs Thomas Campbell" story, read this post:
http://www.mbt.dreamhosters.com/forums/v...&view=next

RD requested the evidence because he was sure there won't be any. But when they tried to present the evidence, he "ran away". I think, both sides are equally bad: "wishful thinking" and a "belief system of denying everything that I cannot explain".
Open mind is not about accepting everything that is being thrown at you, open mind is being skeptical about the things that you think you know. Sometimes it's a recursion - to become a bit skeptic about your skepticism Big Grin.

It is just so bad to see that people are taking sides after exploring just one side and ignoring the other. I think, the atheist who has not read Bible is not much better than a catholic who has not read anything about darwinism. Read them both, find the common points, explore yourself what you can, and only after that you can take any side you wish. But even after that cointinue being skeptical about your choice.

Happy New Year!

Martin

Don't really have much to contribute, but I believe that, unless the rules have changed, your first post needs to be in the introductions thread.