My Book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2015, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 07:24 AM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: My Book
(27-09-2015 04:57 AM)Andreas_Economou Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 01:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Well, for starters, I have a degree in anthropology and have dug for hominin fossils in East Africa. Evolution in general is a gradient; at no point did an H. erectus (technically H. ergaster) couple plop out an anatomically modern H. sapiens. This flawed view of human evolution is no different than the twisted Creationist view that a fish gave birth to a lizard, or that a lizard gave birth to a mammal. Anyway, the evidence suggests that the last common ancestor (LCA) of humans and neanderthals was akin to H. heidelbergensis. I'll be passing on your book if you can't even get that portion of human evolution correct. Who knows how many errors it is riddled with.

I couldn't agree more! Evolution IS very gradual, but take into account that my work is fiction. Its primary goal is not to be totally scientifically accurate but to show how the Biblical story of Adam and Eve could have emerged, thus generating some doubt about its validity. It's just a story, but one which attempts to do some good in making Bible-thumpers wonder: “Could this be true? Is it possible that God did not miraculously create mankind?”

I apologize if my previous comments have come off as combative. My first reply was aimed more at your "drive-by" book advertising (something we get a lot here). My second was in response to your negative reaction to constructive criticism. I'm a stickler for details; something doesn't have to be 100% accurate, but it should at least be accurate enough to loosely fit the evidence. This is especially true if you are wanting to enlighten creationists.

Having said that, I'm afraid you can't go from saying the equivalent of "it's scientifically accurate" to "it's just fiction" when you've been shown to be incorrect. What preparatory research did you do before you wrote the novel. Again, I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just interested as a lover of history. This is the reason why I drifted towards paleoanthropology.

I have my own idea for a similar tale meant to be an eye-opener for creationists. I doubt I'll ever get around to writing it, though, as my research into East Asian cultural elements takes up a lot of my personal time.

Don't let this experience sour your view of the forum. It's a great place full of intelligent, witty people. You should stick around.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
27-09-2015, 09:36 AM
(27-09-2015 07:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 04:57 AM)Andreas_Economou Wrote:  I couldn't agree more! Evolution IS very gradual, but take into account that my work is fiction. Its primary goal is not to be totally scientifically accurate but to show how the Biblical story of Adam and Eve could have emerged, thus generating some doubt about its validity. It's just a story, but one which attempts to do some good in making Bible-thumpers wonder: “Could this be true? Is it possible that God did not miraculously create mankind?”

I apologize if my previous comments have come off as combative. My first reply was aimed more at your "drive-by" book advertising (something we get a lot here). My second was in response to your negative reaction to constructive criticism. I'm a stickler for details; something doesn't have to be 100% accurate, but it should at least be accurate enough to loosely fit the evidence. This is especially true if you are wanting to enlighten creationists.

Having said that, I'm afraid you can't go from saying the equivalent of "it's scientifically accurate" to "it's just fiction" when you've been shown to be incorrect. What preparatory research did you do before you wrote the novel. Again, I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just interested as a lover of history. This is the reason why I drifted towards paleoanthropology.

I have my own idea for a similar tale meant to be an eye-opener for creationists. I doubt I'll ever get around to writing it, though, as my research into East Asian cultural elements takes up a lot of my personal time.

Don't let this experience sour your view of the forum. It's a great place full of intelligent, witty people. You should stick around.

I also would like to apologize if I seemed a bit contentious. It's just that I thought this would be a good place to promote my book. Apparently I did not go about it in a correct manner. Many apologies... to everyone.
I've read your book idea and find it really good.
In fact I have a chapter in my book similar to this, where Omo (my Adam-like hero) dreams of Mother Nature and she warns him about the pitfalls of religion.
Also, I have seen a movie, recently, called "The Man from the Earth" which is along the same lines.
You should go for it! Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2015, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 11:48 AM by undergroundp.)
(27-09-2015 09:36 AM)Andreas_Economou Wrote:  I also would like to apologize if I seemed a bit contentious. It's just that I thought this would be a good place to promote my book. Apparently I did not go about it in a correct manner. Many apologies... to everyone.
I've read your book idea and find it really good.
In fact I have a chapter in my book similar to this, where Omo (my Adam-like hero) dreams of Mother Nature and she warns him about the pitfalls of religion.
Also, I have seen a movie, recently, called "The Man from the Earth" which is along the same lines.
You should go for it! Cheers.

Sometimes people here don't understand that new members will occasionally do something silly (like promoting their book on their second post) and they get aggressive.

I don't think you meant any harm and I hope you're not in this forum just to advertise. I'm also pretty sure there's no rule against promoting your own stuff. It's just etiquette, you know, get to know people before you start trying to sell stuff to them Tongue

To be honest, I'd probably have reacted the same seeing earmuffs on the second post. People in here tend to forget that Dodgy Few will admit that their reactions were unjustified. I'm here for peace! Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
27-09-2015, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 02:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-09-2015 11:39 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Sometimes people here don't understand that new members will occasionally do something silly (like promoting their book on their second post) and they get aggressive.

You mean something silly like suggesting to an anthropologist he has more knowledge and credibility concerning anthropology than an actual anthropologist?

(26-09-2015 11:12 AM)Andreas_Economou Wrote:  To 'Ghostexorcist':
From where does your informed up-to-date science say that we evolved, if not from Homo erectus? Read the book, you might learn a few things.

He deserved to get his ass spanked for this.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-09-2015, 03:24 PM
(27-09-2015 01:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You mean something silly like suggesting to an anthropologist he has more knowledge and credibility concerning anthropology than an actual anthropologist?

How was he supposed to know that he was an anthropologist? And the whole thing between them seems to have been resolved anyway. Both apologized. I don't see why anyone should still be hostile.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-09-2015, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 04:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-09-2015 03:24 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  How was he supposed to know that he was an anthropologist?

His mistake was that he assumed GhostExcorcist was not an anthropologist. He will find all sort of experts here on a variety of different subjects which he challenges. He shouldn't make that mistake again..

#sigh
27-09-2015, 05:08 PM
His reaction was only natural after the first responses he got. No matter how hard it is to believe, there are people who don't know it's not nice to advertise on a forum. Someone could have kindly pointed it out to him. Some people are simply new to the internet and/or forums. I've been there and I've made stupid mistakes. Hell, even I would advertise my shit anywhere if I didn't know any better.

I've been kinder to trolls before we realized they were trolls even though there was something fishy about them. Benefit of the doubt and all. It may seem alien to you, but to me it's common courtesy. All I've seen from the others here is hostility. I don't think it was justified. Stone me for it.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-09-2015, 05:57 PM
(27-09-2015 05:08 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  His reaction was only natural after the first responses he got. No matter how hard it is to believe, there are people who don't know it's not nice to advertise on a forum. Someone could have kindly pointed it out to him. Some people are simply new to the internet and/or forums. I've been there and I've made stupid mistakes. Hell, even I would advertise my shit anywhere if I didn't know any better.

I've been kinder to trolls before we realized they were trolls even though there was something fishy about them. Benefit of the doubt and all. It may seem alien to you, but to me it's common courtesy. All I've seen from the others here is hostility. I don't think it was justified. Stone me for it.

I'm sorry, but I kinda disagree. Stark posted second in this thread. Then earmuffs and then ghostexorcist.

So this was his reply (post number 5).

(26-09-2015 11:12 AM)Andreas_Economou Wrote:  To all "fellow-Atheists" who responded:
Your "holier than thou" attitude does not differ from those who believe in God and would viciously attack me. I thought this was an Atheist Forum. Probably not.

To 'Ghostexorcist':
From where does your informed up-to-date science say that we evolved, if not from Homo erectus? Read the book, you might learn a few things.

(Bolding mine)
Where did he apologize for starting a thread to get free publicity for his book?

Yes, he did later but really he should have apologized a lot sooner than he did, instead of hurling insults.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-09-2015, 06:00 PM
(27-09-2015 05:08 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  His reaction was only natural after the first responses he got. No matter how hard it is to believe, there are people who don't know it's not nice to advertise on a forum.

I have no problem with them advertising here. I have a problem with them assuming they know more about shit than people who are actually expert in the shit. They just look foolish.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-09-2015, 06:04 PM
(27-09-2015 06:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 05:08 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  His reaction was only natural after the first responses he got. No matter how hard it is to believe, there are people who don't know it's not nice to advertise on a forum.

I have no problem with them advertising here.

Actually, I do have a problem with it. We have first post approval for a reason.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces