My Boss' Dad died last night.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 05:10 PM
RE: My Boss' Dad died last night.
I told this story here as Der Fish, but when I changed computers I couldn't sign in on that old account so became Born Again Pagan, But a couple of years ago now I was walking down the beach here in the Dominican Republic with a good friend. He was 90 days younger than myself. We came to where a small river dumps into the ocean. Bob suggested that instead of wading the river we cross the footbridge. It is about 15 steps across the river and only knee deep, but it can get pretty pushy for an old guy. Prostitution is totally legal here in this country and crossing the bridge we met three young girls out pursuing their trade. I held up my finger showing my wedding ring and said no thanks. One replied "We aren't wanting to marry anybody, just want to have a bit of fun." We walked down off the bridge and sat n a log because Bob was till tired. WE talked for 20 minutes or so and I leaned over to ask Bob if he was ready to go on. I noticed that his lops were blue. He answered me "I'm not going anywhere ever again," and fell forward dead. One of the girls started shouting and the one at his side took his face in her hands to try to kiss him all better and the other pulled out her cell phone and called the police. They decided he was fully dead, but slid his body into the back of the police pick up on a beach lounger and took it to the hospital locally. All I have to say is when it comes my time I want to go like that, instead of lying in bed for weeks and weeks with tubes into my nose and mouth etc as did my father, e brother and one sister. I am 70 and 11 years ago I had triple bypass surgery and was told if I ate right I had 50 50 chance of living another 5 years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
17-05-2016, 05:25 PM
(17-05-2016 05:10 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I told this story here as Der Fish, but when I changed computers I couldn't sign in on that old account so became Born Again Pagan, But a couple of years ago now I was walking down the beach here in the Dominican Republic with a good friend. He was 90 days younger than myself. We came to where a small river dumps into the ocean. Bob suggested that instead of wading the river we cross the footbridge. It is about 15 steps across the river and only knee deep, but it can get pretty pushy for an old guy. Prostitution is totally legal here in this country and crossing the bridge we met three young girls out pursuing their trade. I held up my finger showing my wedding ring and said no thanks. One replied "We aren't wanting to marry anybody, just want to have a bit of fun." We walked down off the bridge and sat n a log because Bob was till tired. WE talked for 20 minutes or so and I leaned over to ask Bob if he was ready to go on. I noticed that his lops were blue. He answered me "I'm not going anywhere ever again," and fell forward dead. One of the girls started shouting and the one at his side took his face in her hands to try to kiss him all better and the other pulled out her cell phone and called the police. They decided he was fully dead, but slid his body into the back of the police pick up on a beach lounger and took it to the hospital locally. All I have to say is when it comes my time I want to go like that, instead of lying in bed for weeks and weeks with tubes into my nose and mouth etc as did my father, e brother and one sister. I am 70 and 11 years ago I had triple bypass surgery and was told if I ate right I had 50 50 chance of living another 5 years.
Damn. I'm guessing by lops you meant lips. What a powerful way to end it. Hanging with your good friend.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Yeah, just in the last month actually.

A friend of a friend became ill in about October, no appetite, vomiting, that sort of thing. He assumed it was just a virus, and it would clear in a few days. After a month he was no better and went for some tests, they suggested a more serious but still treatable infection. Two or three months of antibiotics later, and he was still really ill, and becoming weaker all the time... About a month ago they did a scan and found a large, inoperable tumor on his liver that had spread to various other organs. They were planning to try chemo, but he died before they started the first course...

Needless to say, my friend is devastated...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2016, 06:29 PM
(17-05-2016 04:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm not asking for advice on how to cope or how to comfort him. I'm just talking. Have any of you witnessed somebody slowly lose a loved one after a long battle?

Please share your experiences, or what you've seen.

Well I nursed mum through MS for nearly a decade. Horrid disease.

Saw too many die on a cancer ward for 10 months. The kids killed me. Sad

Nearly died myself several times.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-05-2016, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2016 07:51 PM by Fireball.)
Dad died from a stroke at 58 after a lengthy recovery from first bladder and then lung cancer with removal of 1/3 of one lung. Mom died from emphysema after walking around with an oxygen bottle for 10 years, at 65. One younger brother died in hospice after a lengthy illness after removal of part of his palate, all the way through his mandible, and then the cancer that closed off one lung, coupled with emphysema. He was 58. Undecided The Fireball family knows now to stay away from those cancer sticks. I never picked up the habit. Only one uncle who smoked lived past 58, out of a total of 10 uncles. He made it to 64. Other aunts and uncles of mine who didn't use tobacco made it into their '90s.
17-05-2016, 06:39 PM
(17-05-2016 06:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 04:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm not asking for advice on how to cope or how to comfort him. I'm just talking. Have any of you witnessed somebody slowly lose a loved one after a long battle?

Please share your experiences, or what you've seen.

Well I nursed mum through MS for nearly a decade. Horrid disease.

My very best friend (we've been friends since I was 3 and she was 2 years old) has MS. She was diagnosed 35 years ago when she suddenly was totally paralyzed. Eventually she was able to sit in a wheel chair and was told she would never walk again. It pissed her off.

A few months later she was walking and she has been walking ever since. She has good days and bad, but most of the time she is fine. She drops plates and cups a lot, so once a year she goes to a flea market and buys old plates and cups for another year of dropping. The have become a conversation piece for visitors, you never know what you will be served on. She has started buying a lot more than she needs because people fall in love with some of them and she makes them take them home then.

If life gives you lemons...she's made a hobby of it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-05-2016, 06:44 PM
(17-05-2016 06:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 06:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Well I nursed mum through MS for nearly a decade. Horrid disease.

My very best friend (we've been friends since I was 3 and she was 2 years old) has MS. She was diagnosed 35 years ago when she suddenly was totally paralyzed. Eventually she was able to sit in a wheel chair and was told she would never walk again. It pissed her off.

A few months later she was walking and she has been walking ever since. She has good days and bad, but most of the time she is fine. She drops plates and cups a lot, so once a year she goes to a flea market and buys old plates and cups for another year of dropping. The have become a conversation piece for visitors, you never know what you will be served on. She has started buying a lot more than she needs because people fall in love with some of them and she makes them take them home then.

Melamine dishes are guaranteed not to break when dropped. Or is she fixated on china? Or, the people who come to visit could bring those dishes back when they visit. Then have a cleaning session before going home, saving breakage, and her energy. How fun that would be!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-05-2016, 06:58 PM
(17-05-2016 06:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 06:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Well I nursed mum through MS for nearly a decade. Horrid disease.

The nerve damage I suffered after my mastectomies caused the end of a few dishes and several glasses. That's when I made the switch to the acrylic glasses with a screw on top and straw...that's not to say I didn't break some of them too. Undecided But it's a little easier to clean up than glass...doesn't shatter quite as bad.

I still have random times when my hands or arms spaz out on me and there goes another glass or plate. I just clean up the mess and move on...what are ya gonna do? I just find sillier and sillier designs on the glasses I buy. Might as well have fun for as long as they last. Some last months, some don't make it a week.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-05-2016, 07:12 PM
(17-05-2016 06:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Melamine dishes are guaranteed not to break when dropped.

I just go with plastic because I am a treehugger worried about the environment.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-05-2016, 07:49 PM
(17-05-2016 07:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 06:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Melamine dishes are guaranteed not to break when dropped.

I just go with plastic because I am a treehugger worried about the environment.

Gasp Were you a REAL tree hugger, you would be using renewable wood products for your dishes (paper plates). Tongue