My Boss' Dad died last night.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 07:52 PM
RE: My Boss' Dad died last night.
(17-05-2016 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 06:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  My very best friend (we've been friends since I was 3 and she was 2 years old) has MS. She was diagnosed 35 years ago when she suddenly was totally paralyzed. Eventually she was able to sit in a wheel chair and was told she would never walk again. It pissed her off.

A few months later she was walking and she has been walking ever since. She has good days and bad, but most of the time she is fine. She drops plates and cups a lot, so once a year she goes to a flea market and buys old plates and cups for another year of dropping. The have become a conversation piece for visitors, you never know what you will be served on. She has started buying a lot more than she needs because people fall in love with some of them and she makes them take them home then.

If life gives you lemons...she's made a hobby of it.

The nerve damage I suffered after my mastectomies caused the end of a few dishes and several glasses. That's when I made the switch to the acrylic glasses with a screw on top and straw...that's not to say I didn't break some of them too. Undecided But it's a little easier to clean up than glass...doesn't shatter quite as bad.

I still have random times when my hands or arms spaz out on me and there goes another glass or plate. I just clean up the mess and move on...what are ya gonna do? I just find sillier and sillier designs on the glasses I buy. Might as well have fun for as long as they last. Some last months, some don't make it a week.

Hug
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 07:53 PM
(17-05-2016 07:49 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I just go with plastic because I am a treehugger worried about the environment.

Gasp Were you a REAL tree hugger, you would be using renewable wood products for your dishes (paper plates). Tongue

That's what I meant. Seriously. That's what we use. paper plates. Plastic don't microwave so good.

#sigh
17-05-2016, 08:38 PM
(17-05-2016 06:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 06:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  My very best friend (we've been friends since I was 3 and she was 2 years old) has MS. She was diagnosed 35 years ago when she suddenly was totally paralyzed. Eventually she was able to sit in a wheel chair and was told she would never walk again. It pissed her off.

A few months later she was walking and she has been walking ever since. She has good days and bad, but most of the time she is fine. She drops plates and cups a lot, so once a year she goes to a flea market and buys old plates and cups for another year of dropping. The have become a conversation piece for visitors, you never know what you will be served on. She has started buying a lot more than she needs because people fall in love with some of them and she makes them take them home then.

Melamine dishes are guaranteed not to break when dropped. Or is she fixated on china? Or, the people who come to visit could bring those dishes back when they visit. Then have a cleaning session before going home, saving breakage, and her energy. How fun that would be!

Naw, she's made a fun thing out of an annoying condition, sometimes I fly over there and we go to the flea market together and she knows all the sellers and chats with them, they give her extras and the whole thing has turned into a hobby. Afterwards we stop and eat fish that's cooked outside over coals. She worries when she doesn't break anything in a long time because she may have to miss her trip to market... that said, her morning coffee mug is some kind of handcrafted metal, I have no idea what it is. That's the one she drops most often...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-05-2016, 08:41 PM
(17-05-2016 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

The nerve damage I suffered after my mastectomies caused the end of a few dishes and several glasses. That's when I made the switch to the acrylic glasses with a screw on top and straw...that's not to say I didn't break some of them too. Undecided But it's a little easier to clean up than glass...doesn't shatter quite as bad.

I still have random times when my hands or arms spaz out on me and there goes another glass or plate. I just clean up the mess and move on...what are ya gonna do? I just find sillier and sillier designs on the glasses I buy. Might as well have fun for as long as they last. Some last months, some don't make it a week.

Yep, that sounds much like the same story. Just different causes. Always look for the silver lining - most times there is one to be found.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-05-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm sorry for your boss' loss.

I wish I had some advice. Maybe just be there and listen if they want to talk.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-05-2016, 09:28 PM
(17-05-2016 07:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:49 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Gasp Were you a REAL tree hugger, you would be using renewable wood products for your dishes (paper plates). Tongue

That's what I meant. Seriously. That's what we use. paper plates. Plastic don't microwave so good.

Funny! When I was on travel for my job, I used to buy paper plates and bowls, and plastic cutlery. I despise washing dishes. I ate many a steak and salad off of those paper plates. I did have a nice plastic knife for the steaks; they have to be really tender. Otherwise they were these little T-bones that I could pick up and eat the meat off the bone. Drooling I'll have to go buy some beef soon. I haven't had a steak or beef in weeks, as I'm trying to keep the saturated fat minimized.