My Buddhist Roommate Laid The Smackdown On A Christian Conservative Nut!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2014, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 08:26 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
My Buddhist Roommate Laid The Smackdown On A Christian Conservative Nut!
So, as many of the regular members on here know, I have a Buddhist roommate, who is also a member here (Compassion4Life). We were at a birthday party for a friend tonight, and this lady who is an extremely conservative bible thumper was spouting her right-wing garbage when a political discussion came about among a group of people there. We stood outside the conversation, just drinking our beers while shooting the shit with some friends, and getting some entertainment watching the whole thing.

She got really heated when the abortion thing came up, spouting about how it's wrong to kill a child of God and all that. Then, when she heard that my roommate was Buddhist, she thought that she would put the spotlight on him, thinking that she could make a fool of him, and prove that her Christian conservative stance was obviously right.

Her: So what's the Buddhist stance on abortion?

C4L: That question makes no sense. There is no "Buddhist stance" on abortion. There was nothing involving abortion in the Buddha's teachings.

Her: Well, what do you believe in as a Buddhist?

C4L: I believe that we should have compassion for our fellow man, and that we should always seek knowledge and truth.

Her: So, if you believe in having compassion for your fellow man, then you're against abortion.

C4L: No, I am not.

Her: How can you claim that you're about having compassion for everyone, yet say that abortion should be legal? Don't you think that's hypocritical?

C4L: I do not believe that a fertilized egg and a baby that has been born are one and the same, and I believe that is not my place to tell a person what they can do with their own body. You have spent all of this time shouting about how our society should get rid of welfare, and that you don't want your taxes being used to pay for another person's medical treatment. You talk about treating people who are hungry and poor, or who have fallen on hard times and can't afford to get adequate health care, as though they are expendables. Yet, you want to criticize somebody else who gets an abortion as being a murderer, all while you will sit there watching people die of starvation, or of illnesses that could be easily treated, due to them not being able to afford medical care. You will sit by and watch all of this suffering happen - suffering that can be eased by the simple act of caring enough to help somebody - and just shrug your shoulders. Then, as you sit there idly while all of this suffering is going on, you will criticize a person as being heartless for removing a zygote from their body, because according to you, that zygote has the right to live, while countless other people perish from starvation and illness because you feel that they are not deserving of social welfare and medical treatment.

She had absolutely no response at all to this and did not say another word the rest of the night! I don't think she had ever had her hypocrisy so bluntly laid out before. It was epic, to say the least!

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 24 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
20-07-2014, 07:14 AM
RE: My Buddhist Roommate Laid The Smackdown On A Christian Conservative Nut!
*standing ovation*

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
20-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Nice, the writers of the mythologized Jesus got some their best teachings; which they ascribed to Jesus, from Buddha. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
20-07-2014, 07:59 AM
(20-07-2014 07:50 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Nice, the writers of the mythologized Jesus got some their best teachings; which they ascribed to Jesus, from Buddha. Thumbsup

And the Buddhists, from the Stoics...

... this is my signature!
20-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Matthew 19:21 Wrote:Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Like all the other sheep, religion only works when its convenient.
[+] 1 user Likes Jagare's post
20-07-2014, 09:47 AM
(20-07-2014 07:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 07:50 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Nice, the writers of the mythologized Jesus got some their best teachings; which they ascribed to Jesus, from Buddha. Thumbsup

And the Buddhists, from the Stoics...

Except Buddhism originated in the 5th century BCE and Stoicism in the 3rd. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Very cool. I am imagining we are talking about this type christian?

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
[+] 4 users Like therealJim's post