My Chinese speech

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 09:31 AM
My Chinese speech
Some of you may know that I'm currently living in Taiwan studying Traditional Chinese. Last semester I had to give a five minute speech in Chinese. It discusses the story and worship of Sun Wukong, a popular literary character, in China and Taiwan. I was EXTREMELY nervous, especially since there were 60 plus people in the room, including all of the teachers and administrators.

English translation:

Quote:Greetings everyone, my name is Ma Hanming. I love Chinese history and literature, so I decided to study Chinese in Taiwan. My absolute favorite of the four great Chinese classics is the 16th-century novel Journey to the West. I particularly like the story of Sun Wukong. He is an immortal monkey called the “Great Sage Equaling Heaven”. The novel’s story follows the monk Tripitaka of the Tang Empire as he travels from China to India to retrieve Buddhist holy scriptures. Along the journey his disciple Sun Wukong uses magic and martial arts to protect his master.

Stories about Sun Wukong first appeared during the Song Dynasty (960-1279). Then, “Pilgrim Sun” (as he is popularly known today) was called the “Monkey Pilgrim”. After Journey to the West, Sun became so popular that people began worshiping him as a god. A story appearing in Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio suggests his veneration was present in Fujian province by the 18th-century. It later spread to Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore. His worship was probably spread to Taiwan by the people of Fujian. Here, Sun does not have his own temples, but he is often seen in larger temples (dedicated to more prominent gods). This is most likely because his rebellious nature excluded royal patronage in dynastic China. The people of Taiwan think Sun exorcises evil spirits and heals children and horses.

Everyone here has probably already seen Sun Wukong but just doesn’t know it. Does this person look familiar? This is Son Goku from the famous Japanese comic book and animated TV show Dragon Ball. The story of Dragon Ball was influenced by Sun’s story. So the Japanese characters of Son Goku’s name and the three Chinese characters of Sun Wukong’s name are exactly the same. I hope you will like Sun Wukong after hearing my presentation. Thank you.

The powerpoint slide:

https://www.slideshare.net/ghostexorcist...and-taiwan

The recording:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-03-2018, 09:37 AM
RE: My Chinese speech
How cool! Very impressive! You don't sound nervous at all. Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-03-2018, 09:40 AM
(07-03-2018 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  How cool! Very impressive! You don't sound nervous at all. Smile

Thank you. I'm just glad the camera didn't pick up me peeing myself.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-03-2018, 09:43 AM
(07-03-2018 09:40 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  How cool! Very impressive! You don't sound nervous at all. Smile

Thank you. I'm just glad the camera didn't pick up me peeing myself.

Laugh out load
07-03-2018, 10:36 AM
(07-03-2018 09:40 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Thank you. I'm just glad the camera didn't pick up me peeing myself.

Ha! I've had moments like that! Thank goodness they weren't filmed but still.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-03-2018, 10:46 AM
This was great! I don't know Chinese at all- so, I didn't understand it and don't know how well you did- but everyone clapped! I also like that everyone laughed when Goku appeared on screen! Laugh out load

Great job! (I think!)
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
07-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Wow - that was wonderful! Smile

It is obvious you are getting the thought process of the language - you appear skilled enough to choose specific words & ways to use them. I think this counts a lot, if you are being graded or tested on this kind of presentation. Great job! Thumbsup

Not a criticism, just a fun observation... I have a few Chinese friends so ... yea ... you have an American accent. Wink Which I think is a positive thing. It tells others you admire & respect someone enough to learn their language.

I think it's a human thing to want to communicate but, I think fear or "performance anxiety" stops many from even trying. I'm glad you've taken the plunge. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Very impressive!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
07-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Wow. Traditional Chinese. I'll stick to the simplified.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
07-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Wow. That's fantastic.

One question, is Chinese hard to pronounce for a Westerner? I took French and I completely butcher the pronunciation.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post