My Chinese speech

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 12:43 PM
RE: My Chinese speech
(07-03-2018 12:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. That's fantastic.

One question, is Chinese hard to pronounce for a Westerner? I took French and I completely butcher the pronunciation.

In my experience, hearing the pinyin is hard as hell. Mandarin has four tones and Cantonese has six wheras the European languages are monotonic (as far as I am aware anyway). I am not sure about the traditional chinese pinyin although I have been told by colleagues that traditional is a very rich language and more difficult. Some people I could hear it easily and others I couldn't at all. I do know the written is way harder than simplified. Kudos to ghost.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
07-03-2018, 02:40 PM
My Chinese is limited to Mahjong terms. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
07-03-2018, 06:54 PM
(07-03-2018 11:29 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow - that was wonderful! Smile

It is obvious you are getting the thought process of the language - you appear skilled enough to choose specific words & ways to use them. I think this counts a lot, if you are being graded or tested on this kind of presentation. Great job! Thumbsup

Not a criticism, just a fun observation... I have a few Chinese friends so ... yea ... you have an American accent. Wink Which I think is a positive thing. It tells others you admire & respect someone enough to learn their language.

I think it's a human thing to want to communicate but, I think fear or "performance anxiety" stops many from even trying. I'm glad you've taken the plunge. Shy

This was a prepared speech that I had written (with some corrections from my teachers) a week or two prior. The bitch was memorizing it.

Thank you. Yeah, my tones are not spot on. Being super nervous doesn't help my fluency either.

(07-03-2018 12:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. That's fantastic.

One question, is Chinese hard to pronounce for a Westerner? I took French and I completely butcher the pronunciation.

Individual words are not hard to pronounce. Saying the correct tones for numerous works in succession is the difficult part.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-03-2018, 07:16 PM
I'm giving my next speech today. It discusses my time digging for fossils in Tanzania. I can't post the speech or the powerpoint because it contains pictures of the fossil I found. I'm not allowed to show pictures of it until it is officially described in a paper. Dark Lord only knows when that will be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post