My Christian Parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 10:49 PM
My Christian Parents
I've been noticing a lot of people having issues with their parents constantly trying to convert them back to christianity (like poor Seth); my parent's oddly have not been, although they would be thrilled if I did.

One reason could be that they are divorced and do not speak to each other often, but I think mainly it is the way they have both reacted to my "coming out".

My dad is either in denial or avoidance of the issue, which is easy considering he lives far away and does not see me very often.

My mom has a very interesting view on why, even though I am an atheist now, I will still go to heaven. She believes that since I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart at the age of 6 and again at the age of 16 that he is with me today no matter what my beliefs are. Huh When she told me this I almost busted out laughing!

Whatever makes them happy, I guess.

And if you do any of these (forbidden) things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.
-George Carlin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BipolarA's post
16-02-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: My Christian Parents
One of the biggest truths I learned while accepting my atheistic non-belief is that I could NEVER reject my children, even if they didn't believe or didn't know I existed, so how could a God reject his? When he has that much more love and understanding? Who cares if my kids reject me- although I might be very sad about this, I wouldn't wish them ill- I'd hope they were happy, authentic and true.

It sounds like your parents love you, irregardless of your views on life- your mom believes you'll be okay because she wants that for you.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
16-02-2012, 12:27 AM
(15-02-2012 10:49 PM)BipolarA Wrote:  My mom has a very interesting view on why, even though I am an atheist now, I will still go to heaven. She believes that since I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart at the age of 6 and again at the age of 16 that he is with me today no matter what my beliefs are. Huh When she told me this I almost busted out laughing!

My parents are similar. There is scriptural backing for "once saved, always saved", but since it clearly contradicts reality (as you and I are well-aware), many Christians have tried to redefine the bible passage I cited. So how do people like my parents and your mom keep believing in scripture's claim that people are always saved even though clearly you and I do not "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"? Denial. My parents know I don't believe, but they're under an assumption that I can't die this way, and it must be temporary (it has been 12 years now).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
16-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Dan Barker's folks ended up Deconverting some time after Dan did.

Always found that intresting.

D
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2012, 09:30 AM
(16-02-2012 12:27 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(15-02-2012 10:49 PM)BipolarA Wrote:  My mom has a very interesting view on why, even though I am an atheist now, I will still go to heaven. She believes that since I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart at the age of 6 and again at the age of 16 that he is with me today no matter what my beliefs are. Huh When she told me this I almost busted out laughing!

My parents are similar. There is scriptural backing for "once saved, always saved", but since it clearly contradicts reality (as you and I are well-aware), many Christians have tried to redefine the bible passage I cited. So how do people like my parents and your mom keep believing in scripture's claim that people are always saved even though clearly you and I do not "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ"? Denial. My parents know I don't believe, but they're under an assumption that I can't die this way, and it must be temporary (it has been 12 years now).

This is more or less Arminian apologetics, though.

The Calvinist view is more clearly defined but both still believe in "once saved, always saved".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-02-2012, 05:56 PM
(16-02-2012 09:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is more or less Arminian apologetics, though.

The Calvinist view is more clearly defined but both still believe in "once saved, always saved".

I know. I actually listened to a Calvinist explain it on YouTube. I disagree with him, but I still gave it a "like"... you won't believe how much shit I had to wade through to find someone who could discuss this idea reasonably.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
17-02-2012, 02:17 AM

(15-02-2012 10:49 PM)BipolarA Wrote:  I've been noticing a lot of people having issues with their parents constantly trying to convert them back to christianity (like poor Seth); my parent's oddly have not been, although they would be thrilled if I did.

One reason could be that they are divorced and do not speak to each other often, but I think mainly it is the way they have both reacted to my "coming out".

My dad is either in denial or avoidance of the issue, which is easy considering he lives far away and does not see me very often.

My mom has a very interesting view on why, even though I am an atheist now, I will still go to heaven. She believes that since I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart at the age of 6 and again at the age of 16 that he is with me today no matter what my beliefs are. Huh When she told me this I almost busted out laughing!

Whatever makes them happy, I guess.

Yeah, it sounds like you utterly hate your parents.

Out of curiosity, are you really a bipolar, alcoholic atheist?
17-02-2012, 08:57 AM
(17-02-2012 02:17 AM)Egor Wrote:  Yeah, it sounds like you utterly hate your parents.

Don't worry about Egor the troll OP Wink He's just a lunatic looking for a reaction.
17-02-2012, 09:00 AM
(17-02-2012 02:17 AM)Egor Wrote:  Yeah, it sounds like you utterly hate your parents.

Maybe he is, but according to you, he's also God.

So, your god is a bipolar, alcoholic atheist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
17-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Dear Bipolar,
It appears you have drawn our resident WWE Smackdown Yellow belt for gawd out of hiding.
He's a soon to be published author and master bloggist that has the damnedest time wif spellingz.
He'll insult you, claim a smack down victory, and then speed to the bathroom to jerk off to 'The case for CHRIST" (hope i had enough capitol letters in there for him). He's got a 9/11 conspiracy theory that Dick Cheney has infected all our keyboards, so we cant type capitol letters on words HE deems 'proper' nouns.
He's quick to beat up an atheist but even faster on the draw for his fellow Christians.
He's a bit like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann in regards to actual facts. He'll just make blanket statements about things as if its truth without actually offering up a single ounce of research or truth. And when directly asked a question, he'll tell you he wont answer here..but to post it on his blog......so i suppose he's here to drive up traffic at his website.

Just ignore him, he's a dingleberry on the ass pubes of life.

D