My Coworkers' Work Ethics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2013, 02:27 PM
My Coworkers' Work Ethics
I work for a small manufacturing company that has 2 sales reps. It used to have 3, but I needed to step back into customer service to keep from being hospitalized. When I was a sales rep, I took advantage of not having a direct supervisor, taking my laptop with me everywhere to work from a coffee shop or from home. When I'd submit my hours for the week, there were times I fudged a few hours here and there, but usually, if I took an afternoon off, or started late in the morning, I subtracted these hours and counted them as PTO.

So...I may be the kettle calling the pot black, but here goes.

The other 2 sales reps are married to each other. Behind their backs they are usually called "Mr.&Mrs. Sales" or "Mr.&Mrs. Church." They are very outspoken (and annoying) Fundies. During the last election when Marriage Equality was made into law, Mr. Church had a bumpersticker on his car opposing the proposition. He had shared with me before that he was taking a seminary correspondence course (even as a Pastor, I cringed at people who thought they were getting "quality" training that way). I also knew that he had been an assistant pastor of a small non-denominational church. Slowly over the past two years, he shows up less and less to the office. Neither he nor Mrs. Church have ever taken their laptops out of the building. Neither are ever in the office more than a couple of hours a day, and probably only 2 or 3 times a week for him. She is often found sitting at his computer answering emails or writing up and delivering his orders for him.

I've joked with my coworkers on more than one occasion that he probably has a full-time job as a pastor since we rarely if ever see him. Lately he has had customers call to complain that they can never reach him and he never answers messages.

Today a co-worker told us that Mrs. Church had invited her to their "new church." She was told that Mr. Church had been working very hard painting and setting up the new church building and all the organizational stuff that churches need to have, so my co-worker "should come to support all the hard work he has done." Hearing this, I decided to Google "Pastor Mr. Church." I wasn't surprised at all to find him as the pastor of a church near his home. Under the "Staff" heading, he was listed as "Senior Pastor" with 3 "Elders" on his staff. All three Elders were pictured. He was not. Perhaps to make sure no one from work would see his picture and he could say there is more than one "Pastor Mr. Church?"

Anyway, because of my own experience in sales, I'm not overly judgmental of their practices, but the fact that he is allegedly a Christian Pastor makes their behavior puzzling and bothersome. If you can't trust a pastor to be ethical, who can you trust?

Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2013, 02:39 PM
RE: My Coworkers' Work Ethics
A pastor is, by definition, unethical.

Unless lying to children is considered ethical where you live.

Sales people are judged (appraisally-speaking) by their sales. If no revenue, then no job... simple.

If there is a good ROI for the time off, i.e. his flock are all going to be future customers, then there is no issue.

I have no problem if our sales team takes 364 days off per year if the one day they work meets the sales targets.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-04-2013, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2013 04:32 PM by Erxomai.)
(26-04-2013 02:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I have no problem if our sales team takes 364 days off per year if the one day they work meets the sales targets.

I did forget to point this out...I felt justified taking my time off because I was blowing the doors off my sales goals. Mr. Sales claims to be a hot shot sales maker, but his numbers were typically half of mine each month.

The only reason this slides is because the GM is here even less than Mr. and Mrs. Sales. We are only as good as our leadership and our leadership is fucked up!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-04-2013, 03:25 PM
(26-04-2013 02:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Slowly over the past two years, he shows up less and less to the office. Neither he nor Mrs. Church have ever taken their laptops out of the building. Neither are ever in the office more than a couple of hours a day, and probably only 2 or 3 times a week for him. She is often found sitting at his computer answering emails or writing up and delivering his orders for him.

That coworkers cutting someone slack is one thing however, it is unfair to:
His wife who feels she has to do his work for him.
Other workers who may have to field work in his place.
A currently unemployed person who might actually want to work and earn a paycheck.
________
Then there are unknowns in this situation...
His paycheck information is not exactly available; is he getting paid only a couple of hours a day, for only a couple of days a week?
Is it possible he has something worked out with Mr Boss?
________

That aside...
(26-04-2013 02:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Lately he has had customers call to complain that they can never reach him and he never answers messages.

Proof is in the pudding.

Who will talk to Mr & Ms Church or take it to Mr Boss? Since you are a former Pastor and an atheist, it could be viewed as having some sort of chip on your shoulder so, it might be wise to stand aside and let someone else consult with Mr & Ms Church and/or Mr Boss. However, supplying any particular person with information would be your discretion.

Since bosses always like to think everything is their idea, someone might simply need to put a bug in his ear that customers have been complaining. If customers are complaining, well then; the business of business... is business. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
26-04-2013, 04:30 PM
(26-04-2013 03:25 PM)kim Wrote:  if customers are complaining, well then; the business of business... is business. Shy

Exactly. Tell the complaining custies to email the GM. A couple will be all it takes to alert him to a pattern. I'd stay out of it, directly, if I were you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-04-2013, 04:35 PM
(26-04-2013 04:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 03:25 PM)kim Wrote:  if customers are complaining, well then; the business of business... is business. Shy

Exactly. Tell the complaining custies to email the GM. A couple will be all it takes to alert him to a pattern. I'd stay out of it, directly, if I were you.

Well, again...the GM is worse in his attendance. The Custies have no one to complain to except those of us who actually answer the phones.

And as to the hours he's submitting...the chick who does payroll was just out here bitching and moaning saying, "There's no fucking way he's putting in 80 hours every two weeks!" Cool

I'd stay out of it directly if I were me, too. I just wanted to vent and have you all feel sorry for me.

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
26-04-2013, 04:43 PM
(26-04-2013 04:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 04:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. Tell the complaining custies to email the GM. A couple will be all it takes to alert him to a pattern. I'd stay out of it, directly, if I were you.

Well, again...the GM is worse in his attendance. The Custies have no one to complain to except those of us who actually answer the phones.

And as to the hours he's submitting...the chick who does payroll was just out here bitching and moaning saying, "There's no fucking way he's putting in 80 hours every two weeks!" Cool

I'd stay out of it directly if I were me, too. I just wanted to vent and have you all feel sorry for me.

Talk to the payroll lady. There has to be a way to tell the GM discreetly.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
26-04-2013, 06:13 PM
(26-04-2013 04:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 04:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Well, again...the GM is worse in his attendance. The Custies have no one to complain to except those of us who actually answer the phones.

Talk to the payroll lady. There has to be a way to tell the GM discreetly.

Yeah, I'm leaving it up to her. She was the one who was invited (commanded) to go and appreciate his awesome achievements. That coupled with the link I sent her about his church, well, I can't help it if that some how gets forwarded to my GM. Big Grin

~Izel
26-04-2013, 07:35 PM
May need to tread lightly...payroll lady should not discuss specific payroll issue with other employees. Sounds like rules aren't too important there at all. She should go directly to higher ups but should never have said anything for other employees to hear that aren't management over the guy or HR staff. In lots of companies blabbing payroll issues is a big no no particularly for the people that process it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-04-2013, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 12:59 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(26-04-2013 04:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just wanted to vent and have you all feel sorry for me.

I feel so sorry for you. Weeping

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post