My Crazy Creationist Family... !!! Why I just need to speak to sane people!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: My Crazy Creationist Family... !!! Why I just need to speak to sane people!
(02-01-2013 08:22 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's probably best to start them out with material from Christians who accept evolution. The book "Evolution or Creation, do we have to choose" is a good start[1] and one I recommend... but it depends on what you are trying to convince them of. If you are trying to deconvert them you have a long road ahead of you. Even if you reach for the easier goal of convincing them to let go of some creationist dogma and accept evolution the road is hard and long.

They really need to come to a mind state where they accept that science is a force for good in the world, and that scientists end up being right about most things - at least in terms of published science and after they've had 50 years or so to argue about the details. They have to have an interest in science sufficient to understand how science is done and how it finds things out.

Once they're largely accepting of science as a whole and only stuck on this evolution thingy then a book like the one I mentioned can be effective in tipping them over the edge. It can take someone who understands science in general but is lacking an understanding of this specific area and can elucidate it in such a way as to not force them to disregard their faith entirely while doing it. This is best achieved if there are other evolution-accepting theists they know and respect that they can talk things over with.

If their attitude to science in general is denialism then shoving a book in their face isn't going to take them anywhere. Personally my facebook page is at least 50% science-related news and the like. I personally feel that this is just a little something I can be doing to increase if not science literacy then at least science awareness and perhaps sow a seed here and there. In any case, outright contradiction of someone's views never changed anyone's mind about anything Smile

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Evolution...0825462924

He had better save himself the trouble and frustration, and use his energy for stuff with better odds of succeeding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome to yet another escapee from the asylum. For years I have kept a notebook on thoughts (not exactly a diary) about religion and it has helped me greatly to deal with my devout-as-batshit family. Perhaps I don't see the point in arguing with them and having an all out fight (so far) so I stay away from the topic as much as possible in spite of the constant pitter-patter of God bless you, God willing, I'll pray for you etc. Here's an excerpt: I feel like the kid who is shunned in school because he doesn’t follow the crowd but
still likes his classmates in spite of their quirks. That’s how I feel right now with the “believers”. Devout followers of the supernatural surround me and I just don’t see it, pun intended.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
17-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes, your family has lost it's collective mind. You can't really fix that. Think back to what broke the cycle for you - did someone come knocking on your door, uninvited, spewing evolution and science and debunking your Christian view, or was it more like you went searching for your own answers and found them?

I bet it was the latter.

Your family can't be forced to see reason. You cannot make them drop their bibles and start looking to science for answers. But you can be there for any of them who start looking for real answers and help them when and if that happens.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post