My Dad Found Out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2016, 07:22 PM
My Dad Found Out
Now for the past few months I haven't been exactly hiding my atheism...like at all. I posted blog posts to my Facebook, shared atheist posts, etc. And I also forgot my dad had Facebook. He called me, saying "What is with all this atheist shit? Since when are you an atheist?" I said for a long time. He said "Where'd you get that from? We (your parents) don't think like that." I said "Yeah, mom does." He didn't believe me. And then he just says "Well it doesn't matter what you believe, God is real." And that was the end of it. He actually handled it better than I expected but it still pissed me off. I wish I could have an actual conversation with him without him just shutting me down and not listening to ANYTHING I have to say. I guess I should expect this, I'm biracial, and my dad is black. If you are black or part black you definitely know how religious they can be and it can be terrifying. I guess all I'm going to do is stay quiet because otherwise my dad will freak out.

Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tiawia's post
26-02-2016, 07:48 PM
RE: My Dad Found Out
(26-02-2016 07:22 PM)Tiawia Wrote:  He said "Where'd you get that from? We (your parents) don't think like that."

It's funny how often religious parents seem to forget that they're not the sole influence in the lives of their children.
That's a shame that your dad won't listen, but the best thing you can do is to just keep being yourself. Let him know that you're happy, and that all the "fruits of the spirit" or whatever are still just as delicious as ever, except maybe for "faithfulness", which, upon closer examination, just turned out to be a bit too moldy for consumption. Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
26-02-2016, 08:29 PM
My parents are Puerto Rican, when I told them I was Atheist they made me read the Bible, I didn't mind it and they put up a huge metal crucifix in my room but of course that didn't change my mind at all. They eventually said they'd disown me but they never did. You will fight with your father but if you can just sit down and explain logically why you don't believe there is a God he will have to listen and just say "Hey, I'd love to think there is an all loving deity that cares about me but I just can't. I do love you and I know you love me." You can also say you will study the Bible but that it will most likely not covert you but you will at least give it a shot, that's all my parents ever wanted.
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
26-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately those deep in religious beliefs can be difficult to near impossible to sway, let alone be understanding. Work at it slowly, it's going to take time but in the mean time, live your life like you want to and do what makes you happy, don't let anyone else bring you down or try and make you live your life as they want you to.

(26-02-2016 08:29 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  they put up a huge metal crucifix in my room

Seems excessive.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
27-02-2016, 01:02 AM
(26-02-2016 09:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-02-2016 08:29 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  they put up a huge metal crucifix in my room

Seems excessive.

They didn't nail her to it. I call it a win Tongue

OP... sorry to hear that about your Dad. Hope it works out - at least if he can recognise your right to draw your own conclusions that's... about the best you can hope for. Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-02-2016, 09:16 AM
I actually have a Bible and Koran currently that I borrowed from my now ex, and will hopefully finish the Bible before he wants it back lol. I remember my dad used to read me Bible stories as a kid and I wasn't very interested. I'm just lucky I wasn't heavily indoctrinated. I mostly only went to church when I was with my cousins. I'm just glad my dad still wants to see me. Lol. I secretly hope to shake his faith one day.
[+] 3 users Like Tiawia's post
27-02-2016, 10:51 AM
My family and friends are all christian. I haven't told anyone yet.
27-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Given that you're bi-racial, and it's your father who is black, be sure to reassure him that you are not rejecting your black identity, and/or him in the process.
Many religious people from cultural minorities (obviously not all) conflate their religious identity with their minority cultural identity, so you may need to make it clear that this is not where you're coming from.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
27-02-2016, 05:28 PM
(27-02-2016 01:10 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Given that you're bi-racial, and it's your father who is black, be sure to reassure him that you are not rejecting your black identity, and/or him in the process.
Many religious people from cultural minorities (obviously not all) conflate their religious identity with their minority cultural identity, so you may need to make it clear that this is not where you're coming from.
I don't think that's why. He just believes this earth is so beautiful and that humans are so intelligent that they MUST have been created by God. He asked me "So you think we came from FISH!?" I was just like uhhhhhh
[+] 1 user Likes Tiawia's post
27-02-2016, 05:42 PM
He's having a bit of a time comprehending your lack of belief. Give him time. Men are often a bit reactionary when things go against what's always been. Try not to influence him but let him sort it out.