My Darwin fish queried

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 02:35 AM
My Darwin fish queried
Hi all

So my work van has my Darwin evolved fish on the back, most of the time no problem, even when i visit the theology collegeWeeping

But one day whilst i was at a premisis doing work (an air con mechanic), i was asked about it, this fella said "whats with the Darwin badge in your van window?" i simply replied that i am a huge fan of his and think it is truely awesome that his theory from all those years ago has been proven beyond doubt.
He replied "so you belive in evolution?" "yes" i replied, he then told me he belives the oppositeDodgy
So knowing this im thinking how bad does he have it?
"are you a young or old earth creationist?" "young" he replied, then he said "the world IS less than 10k years old"
To which i replied "cool" and carried on with my workDodgy

Whats annoying is i had so much more to say but just couldnt because of the situation of me being at work at his place...

Excuse my grammar and spelling btwSadcryface

any other similar situations?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 02:57 AM
RE: My Darwin fish queried
Often.

People in class have declared themselves to be Mormons etc.

I have trained myself not to laugh out loud but those watching my micro-expressions would probably detect a slight raise of the left eyebrow and a twitch of a smile.

Later in the course, I will drop references to apes, pattern-seeking mammals and evolution... just stated as fact.

No-one challenges me anymore.

Raiz,
I liked your approach. The sticker made him think and he might be thinking about it still.
No need to get into a debate unless it's forced upon you.

and welcome to TTA, btw.

08-05-2013, 06:20 AM
I'm not criticizing; just looking for clarification, but it's your work van?

I assume you own your own business?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 06:23 AM
This is why I hate working in customer service because you have to be nice to the customer no matter how retarded they are.
Honestly the amount of times I had when working counter at the gas station where people would start talking to you about something that you know what they're saying is completely wrong and based on ignorance (mostly political) and false social views, yet all you can do is nod your head and agree. OH, and smile.

I'm proud to say that in my 1 and a half years in customer service I only ever bad mouthed one customer to his face, calling him an asshole. Other then that, perfect record. Where's my trophy? Those that work in customer service know exactly what I'm talking about.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-05-2013, 07:22 AM
One mistake.

"No. I don't believe in evolution. It's not a matter of belief. It's a reality whether I or anyone else wants it to be or not."
[+] 4 users Like PoolBoyG's post
08-05-2013, 11:22 AM
(08-05-2013 06:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm proud to say that in my 1 and a half years in customer service I only ever bad mouthed one customer to his face, calling him an asshole. Other then that, perfect record. Where's my trophy? Those that work in customer service know exactly what I'm talking about.

Oh, hell. Yeah, I worked at a gas station for several years, I've worked all shifts but mostly nights (that's when the insane drunks come in, and I was held up at gunpoint a few times). But the one thing worse than being robbed at gunpoint was being nice and smiling and nodding, no matter what. I will never work in any type of customer service again, it has completely convinced me that I hate the human species.

As for the OP, that's the trouble if it's work, on your work van, whatever,you don't want to piss anyone off outright. Sometimes it's hard if they are completely stupid and delusional, though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
08-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Should have said "Yes, that's a Darwin fish symbol. It represents my understanding of how life evolved and continues to evolve on this planet. I trust the factual observations, conclusions and predictions of evolutionary science. Lots of evidence, lots of facts. None of it is taken on faith.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who are skeptical and try to understand the truthful observations that science has made and those who get down on their knees and close their eyes to the world. Which one are you ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
08-05-2013, 10:10 PM
(08-05-2013 02:35 AM)Raiz Wrote:  Hi all

So my work van has my Darwin evolved fish on the back, most of the time no problem, even when i visit the theology collegeWeeping

But one day whilst i was at a premisis doing work (an air con mechanic), i was asked about it, this fella said "whats with the Darwin badge in your van window?" i simply replied that i am a huge fan of his and think it is truely awesome that his theory from all those years ago has been proven beyond doubt.
He replied "so you belive in evolution?" "yes" i replied, he then told me he belives the oppositeDodgy
So knowing this im thinking how bad does he have it?
"are you a young or old earth creationist?" "young" he replied, then he said "the world IS less than 10k years old"
To which i replied "cool" and carried on with my workDodgy

Whats annoying is i had so much more to say but just couldnt because of the situation of me being at work at his place...

Excuse my grammar and spelling btwSadcryface

any other similar situations?

Welcome to the forum, Raiz!

I remember being on the other end of that conversation. I responded with a quizzical "that sounds fun" to the explanation of it while not being able to wrap my head around it at the time because science just wasn't a part of my understanding.

It took years for me to wrap my mind around it - the cobwebs from religious apologists took awhile to clear. And they come back now and again, too.

(08-05-2013 02:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I have trained myself not to laugh out loud but those watching my micro-expressions would probably detect a slight raise of the left eyebrow and a twitch of a smile.

I bet you look cute when you do that.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-05-2013, 12:56 AM
(08-05-2013 06:20 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'm not criticizing; just looking for clarification, but it's your work van?

I assume you own your own business?

Not my firm just work for them...
09-05-2013, 01:00 AM
(08-05-2013 07:22 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  One mistake.

"No. I don't believe in evolution. It's not a matter of belief. It's a reality whether I or anyone else wants it to be or not."

Fair play boss tbh i may of worded it better it was a while ago now... but point takenThumbsup