My Encounter With a Homeless Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 06:17 AM
RE: My Encounter With a Homeless Man
All of the above is why I give food. And when I drive off and turn the corner and turn my head to get a glance I have seen them gulp down the milk or feed their dog...

Also, since I grow veggies and fruit I often have a surplus. There is a second hand store for the elderly in town, and it has a "free box". I drop excess veggies and fruit in there and it's always gone within the hour. I feel very good about this one, so often the elderly are on a fixed budget and fresh veggies and fruit are a bit out of reach for them.

Also, one time the local no kill shelter for animals once had a blue zillion small dogs and puppies they rescued from a puppy mill. I dropped off a bunch of chew toys since those poor guys were nervous as heck and for dogs chewing is good therapy. I ended up taking one of the pups home, too, and he's sitting next to me now, 6 years later.

I suppose in the big cities have a lot of con artists. Small towns - not so much. Everyone knows everyone, you don't get away with shit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-06-2013, 07:01 AM
(24-06-2013 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  All of the above is why I give food. And when I drive off and turn the corner and turn my head to get a glance I have seen them gulp down the milk or feed their dog...

Also, since I grow veggies and fruit I often have a surplus. There is a second hand store for the elderly in town, and it has a "free box". I drop excess veggies and fruit in there and it's always gone within the hour. I feel very good about this one, so often the elderly are on a fixed budget and fresh veggies and fruit are a bit out of reach for them.

Also, one time the local no kill shelter for animals once had a blue zillion small dogs and puppies they rescued from a puppy mill. I dropped off a bunch of chew toys since those poor guys were nervous as heck and for dogs chewing is good therapy. I ended up taking one of the pups home, too, and he's sitting next to me now, 6 years later.

I suppose in the big cities have a lot of con artists. Small towns - not so much. Everyone knows everyone, you don't get away with shit.

You are a good person Dom Bowing

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-06-2013, 07:21 AM
You will not believe this!
A homeless dude asked for money to buy bread,and it happened that i had bread with sunny side up eggs,and i hate those. I gave it to the man, and 5 minutes later,i saw the man trying to sell the bread for $1
Angry

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
24-06-2013, 08:21 AM
(24-06-2013 07:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  All of the above is why I give food. And when I drive off and turn the corner and turn my head to get a glance I have seen them gulp down the milk or feed their dog...

You are a good person Dom Bowing

It makes me feel good for whatever reason. Besides, I have been there. A long, long time ago, but I haven't forgotten. I will never forget the guy who came out of a raisin factory and brought me a huge bag of half-cured raisins. Damn, they were good. Much better than raisins that are completely dried. Or the lady who came out of her house and handed me a cup of coffee one cold morning. These little things people did for me probably did a lot to shape me. So, now that I have extra, I enjoy the opportunity to make someone's day.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-06-2013, 08:50 AM
(24-06-2013 08:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 07:01 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  You are a good person Dom Bowing

It makes me feel good for whatever reason. Besides, I have been there. A long, long time ago, but I haven't forgotten. I will never forget the guy who came out of a raisin factory and brought me a huge bag of half-cured raisins. Damn, they were good. Much better than raisins that are completely dried. Or the lady who came out of her house and handed me a cup of coffee one cold morning. These little things people did for me probably did a lot to shape me. So, now that I have extra, I enjoy the opportunity to make someone's day.

You don't forget acts of kindness, they stay with you for the rest of your life I think.

My family also went through some very difficult times, not as dire as you I'm sure, but still, without the help of others things would have been so much worse.

Who knows what future actions your act of kindness and generosity will inspire in those you help.

For instance my father tells me the stories of the helping hands extended to him in the dark times. I remember these stories and extend a helping hand to struggling families as a "paying it forward" deal. These people have no idea why I'm doing what I'm doing but that isn't important, it comes from a seed planted thirty-five years ago by a person whose name I don't know and who will never know that their act of kindness lives on to this day.

I think that this is the best we can be.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
24-06-2013, 08:52 AM
(24-06-2013 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  a blue zillion

Mathematical nomenclature - not for everyone. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 08:55 AM
(24-06-2013 08:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  a blue zillion

Mathematical nomenclature - not for everyone. Tongue

Well, it was some 80 or so - but I like saying "blue zillion". Tongue I could call it a shitload of pups.... but that is a bit too graphic Smile

24-06-2013, 10:10 AM
I give money to the homeless on a weekly bases.
It's called taxes.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
24-06-2013, 12:17 PM
As you get older you learn that some bad apples have spoiled things for those in real need. And many times its VERY hard to tell the difference. Next time you feel the need to give cash, tell them you want to help, but don't give cash, offer to buy them a meal at the closest restaurant or store. If they are in real need, they will take you up on it. If not-you will find out quickly.

There was one guy that I would see at an off ramp, across the intersection was a McDonald's. He had a dog. I got a few McD's gift cards and some 'buy one-get one free' coupons. When I would see him I would hand them to him. About the 3rd or 4th time -he refused them. He didn't want food-he wanted money. I felt bad for the dog to be stuck with such a jerk owner.

Many homeless people are not just people that are down on their 'luck'. Many choose it. Many have drug and alcohol addictions and would think nothing about robbing you. Many have mental health issues.

Its great to be generous and caring- and many charities need donations and volunteers. Be smart about giving- make your donation get the most bang for its buck.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-06-2013, 12:21 PM
(24-06-2013 12:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  As you get older you learn that some bad apples have spoiled things for those in real need. And many times its VERY hard to tell the difference. Next time you feel the need to give cash, tell them you want to help, but don't give cash, offer to buy them a meal at the closest restaurant or store. If they are in real need, they will take you up on it. If not-you will find out quickly.

There was one guy that I would see at an off ramp, across the intersection was a McDonald's. He had a dog. I got a few McD's gift cards and some 'buy one-get one free' coupons. When I would see him I would hand them to him. About the 3rd or 4th time -he refused them. He didn't want food-he wanted money. I felt bad for the dog to be stuck with such a jerk owner.

Many homeless people are not just people that are down on their 'luck'. Many choose it. Many have drug and alcohol addictions and would think nothing about robbing you. Many have mental health issues.

Its great to be generous and caring- and many charities need donations and volunteers. Be smart about giving- make your donation get the most bang for its buck.

He's not the sharpest knife in the draw is he?
I mean he refused your coupons?? You're giving them to him for free!!!
Even if he wants money for booze or drugs, he will need to eventually eat...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.