My Encounter With a Homeless Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 12:43 PM
RE: My Encounter With a Homeless Man
(24-06-2013 12:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 12:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  As you get older you learn that some bad apples have spoiled things for those in real need. And many times its VERY hard to tell the difference. Next time you feel the need to give cash, tell them you want to help, but don't give cash, offer to buy them a meal at the closest restaurant or store. If they are in real need, they will take you up on it. If not-you will find out quickly.

There was one guy that I would see at an off ramp, across the intersection was a McDonald's. He had a dog. I got a few McD's gift cards and some 'buy one-get one free' coupons. When I would see him I would hand them to him. About the 3rd or 4th time -he refused them. He didn't want food-he wanted money. I felt bad for the dog to be stuck with such a jerk owner.

Many homeless people are not just people that are down on their 'luck'. Many choose it. Many have drug and alcohol addictions and would think nothing about robbing you. Many have mental health issues.

Its great to be generous and caring- and many charities need donations and volunteers. Be smart about giving- make your donation get the most bang for its buck.

He's not the sharpest knife in the draw is he?
I mean he refused your coupons?? You're giving them to him for free!!!
Even if he wants money for booze or drugs, he will need to eventually eat...

No and he was quite pissy about it too. Cussed me out-arms waving around. Hobo I figure he could get himself a sandwich with the gift card and get his dog one too with the coupon. That way they both get something to eat.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 12:45 PM
(24-06-2013 12:43 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 12:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  He's not the sharpest knife in the draw is he?
I mean he refused your coupons?? You're giving them to him for free!!!
Even if he wants money for booze or drugs, he will need to eventually eat...

No and he was quite pissy about it too. Cussed me out-arms waving around. Hobo I figure he could get himself a sandwich with the gift card and get his dog one too with the coupon. That way they both get something to eat.

Are you sure he realized that one was a gift card? Or maybe he thought you gave him just coupons?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-06-2013, 12:49 PM
(24-06-2013 12:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 12:43 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  No and he was quite pissy about it too. Cussed me out-arms waving around. Hobo I figure he could get himself a sandwich with the gift card and get his dog one too with the coupon. That way they both get something to eat.

Are you sure he realized that one was a gift card? Or maybe he thought you gave him just coupons?

He knew. And I knew when he said something along the lines of " I don't a &%^&%$# meal- I want some *$%$# liquor!!"

If I could have figured out a way to snatch his dog- I would have. Poor thing.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-06-2013, 12:51 PM
(24-06-2013 12:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  As you get older you learn that some bad apples have spoiled things for those in real need. And many times its VERY hard to tell the difference. Next time you feel the need to give cash, tell them you want to help, but don't give cash, offer to buy them a meal at the closest restaurant or store. If they are in real need, they will take you up on it. If not-you will find out quickly.

There was one guy that I would see at an off ramp, across the intersection was a McDonald's. He had a dog. I got a few McD's gift cards and some 'buy one-get one free' coupons. When I would see him I would hand them to him. About the 3rd or 4th time -he refused them. He didn't want food-he wanted money. I felt bad for the dog to be stuck with such a jerk owner.

Many homeless people are not just people that are down on their 'luck'. Many choose it. Many have drug and alcohol addictions and would think nothing about robbing you. Many have mental health issues.

Its great to be generous and caring- and many charities need donations and volunteers. Be smart about giving- make your donation get the most bang for its buck.

Perhaps he just prefers Taco Bell. Have you tried those Doritos tacos? They're very tasty. Drooling

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
24-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Jeffasaurus Wrote:Perhaps he just prefers Taco Bell. Have you tried those Doritos tacos? They're very nasty. [Image: bad-taste010.gif]

There I fixed it for you

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 02:49 PM by earmuffs.)
(24-06-2013 12:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 12:43 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  No and he was quite pissy about it too. Cussed me out-arms waving around. Hobo I figure he could get himself a sandwich with the gift card and get his dog one too with the coupon. That way they both get something to eat.

How does that make a difference?????

Don't make excuses for his poor attitude, all you're doing is patronizing him.

OH, and don't get me wrong, I don't think he is better or even equal to you.
Sure, I'll be the asshole for saying it but we're all thinking it. Given a choice between picking one or the other to save from falling to their death on the edge of a cliff, EVERYONE in their right mind is going to save Dom because the simple matter is she is a better person then this homeless guy.

I'm just saying Dom, don't make excuses because you are a better person then him and you perhaps feeling guiltily for being all superior and shit instead of being equal.
He made his bed and you made yours, don't feel bad because you did a better job.

And good work with the food thing. If you're gonna give anything, give things they need, not money. +1 cookie for you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
25-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Well, anyways....after reading what you've all had to say, I've begun to realize my naivety. I guess I'll have to be more careful about who I give money to from now on...

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist
25-06-2013, 12:56 PM
So...from some of the responses in this thread I have learned that...homeless people who need money to live (because our society is set up such that things essential for survival have to be payed for with circular bits of metal and rectangular bits of paper, yeah, fucked up I know) don't deserve to be given money they need to survive because...reasons? Confused

If I ever get approached by beggars I always give them any money I can, within reason of how much I need left to spend; I even just approach beggars myself if I see them and they don't come over. Cool

Because, I've already figured out...wait for it...they actually need money more than I do. Big Grin

Here's what I think: If anyone that tells you that you shouldn't give money to people who need money, then it is your moral duty to tell said privileged, selfish, arrogant, ignorant, motherfucking bastard to go and fuck themselves and then see if they can live penniless on the streets for a few months. Tongue

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
25-06-2013, 01:22 PM
After re-reading the OP to this thread I realized I should expand my point further. Angel

The apathy and resentment towards homeless people in this society (some of which has been demonstrated in this thread already) is because in this society people are taught to believe that everyone is completely on their own in this world, has to carve out a living for themselves, earn survival, and are constantly in a state of struggling to "get ahead" or "climb up the ladder," and a person's greatest pride and absolute possession that only they are entitled to is their money they've 'earned.'

I think this worldview is bullshit and not conducive to human happiness. This is clearly demonstrated by the majority of humans suffering and dying due to lack of necessities all over the world, right now, every second.

As for the OP themselves: Why the fuck are you letting yourself get told whether to help other human beings or not by other people; like by your parents, or even asking on this thread and then just changing your mind.

Whether you, as an individual human, choose to help other suffering individual humans, is up to you, and certainly isn't something to be unsure about. It's either you're helping them or you're not.

That's my advice, anyway. Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
25-06-2013, 01:22 PM
(24-06-2013 02:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 12:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  Are you sure he realized that one was a gift card? Or maybe he thought you gave him just coupons?

How does that make a difference?????

Don't make excuses for his poor attitude, all you're doing is patronizing him.

OH, and don't get me wrong, I don't think he is better or even equal to you.
Sure, I'll be the asshole for saying it but we're all thinking it. Given a choice between picking one or the other to save from falling to their death on the edge of a cliff, EVERYONE in their right mind is going to save Dom because the simple matter is she is a better person then this homeless guy.

I'm just saying Dom, don't make excuses because you are a better person then him and you perhaps feeling guiltily for being all superior and shit instead of being equal.
He made his bed and you made yours, don't feel bad because you did a better job.

And good work with the food thing. If you're gonna give anything, give things they need, not money. +1 cookie for you.

The difference is that a person without any money can't do anything with coupons. It would seem like a cruel joke to him.

I don't feel bad because I am better off, far from it. I worked hard for it and I deserve it. And I am damn well enjoying it.

As far as making one's bed - sometimes it just has lumps in it. So you rest on your lumpy bed and when you get up you look like shit and no one wants anything to do with you.

Life has it's lumps and bumps, and once you have seen them in your own life, you tend to soften your outlook a bit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man