My Encounter With a Homeless Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: My Encounter With a Homeless Man
I bought a homeless guy a bus ticket one time. Bought the ticket and gave him that, not just the money. I know he used it 'cause we took the next bus together (I happened to be going the same way).

Ah, the glory days of $13.50 Kitchener/Toronto rides. Anyway.

(25-06-2013 12:56 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Because, I've already figured out...wait for it...they actually need money more than I do. Big Grin

There are far more people who need far more money than you can provide. So that's only ever an argument for giving them half your stuff - after that you need it more!

(25-06-2013 01:22 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  The apathy and resentment towards homeless people in this society (some of which has been demonstrated in this thread already) is ...

Mostly reserved for those who are refusing certain types of aid (and you know what they say about beggars and choosing) or who are actually lying to solicit it. Neither of those is a good thing, but neither do they diminish the person's need, so there is a moral question there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2013, 01:44 PM
(25-06-2013 12:56 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Here's what I think: If anyone that tells you that you shouldn't give money to people who need money, then it is your moral duty to tell said privileged, selfish, arrogant, ignorant, motherfucking bastard to go and fuck themselves and then see if they can live penniless on the streets for a few months. Tongue

Feel better, now? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
25-06-2013, 01:44 PM
(25-06-2013 12:56 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  So...from some of the responses in this thread I have learned that...homeless people who need money to live (because our society is set up such that things essential for survival have to be payed for with circular bits of metal and rectangular bits of paper, yeah, fucked up I know) don't deserve to be given money they need to survive because...reasons? Confused

If I ever get approached by beggars I always give them any money I can, within reason of how much I need left to spend; I even just approach beggars myself if I see them and they don't come over. Cool

Because, I've already figured out...wait for it...they actually need money more than I do. Big Grin

Here's what I think: If anyone that tells you that you shouldn't give money to people who need money, then it is your moral duty to tell said privileged, selfish, arrogant, ignorant, motherfucking bastard to go and fuck themselves and then see if they can live penniless on the streets for a few months. Tongue

but in reality,the bad ones have ruined it for the honest ones.
The good ones ask money to eat or ask something to eat.
The bad ones ask money to buy alcohol or drugs.
The ones craving for liquor or drugs have made people skeptic of whatever the homeless dude says. Thats why i give food,not money

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
25-06-2013, 01:57 PM
(25-06-2013 01:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 02:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How does that make a difference?????

Don't make excuses for his poor attitude, all you're doing is patronizing him.

OH, and don't get me wrong, I don't think he is better or even equal to you.
Sure, I'll be the asshole for saying it but we're all thinking it. Given a choice between picking one or the other to save from falling to their death on the edge of a cliff, EVERYONE in their right mind is going to save Dom because the simple matter is she is a better person then this homeless guy.

I'm just saying Dom, don't make excuses because you are a better person then him and you perhaps feeling guiltily for being all superior and shit instead of being equal.
He made his bed and you made yours, don't feel bad because you did a better job.

And good work with the food thing. If you're gonna give anything, give things they need, not money. +1 cookie for you.

The difference is that a person without any money can't do anything with coupons. It would seem like a cruel joke to him.

I don't feel bad because I am better off, far from it. I worked hard for it and I deserve it. And I am damn well enjoying it.

As far as making one's bed - sometimes it just has lumps in it. So you rest on your lumpy bed and when you get up you look like shit and no one wants anything to do with you.

Life has it's lumps and bumps, and once you have seen them in your own life, you tend to soften your outlook a bit.

Yes you need money for them, but if he's going to get money anyway from someone else a bit later then he can use them to get twice the food he would have otherwise got, or a free sunday or something.
My point is, given a choice between coupon for free and nothing for free, he is out of his mind to choice the nothing. And cruel joke or not, he's not really in a position to argue when people give him free shit...

And there have been plenty of lumps in my life. I don't think it has resulted in the effect you think it should though as I think "if I can get through, why the fuck can't you?" not "ohh poor you I know what you're going through I've been there".

Quote:So...from some of the responses in this thread I have learned that...homeless people who need money to live (because our society is set up such that things essential for survival have to be payed for with circular bits of metal and rectangular bits of paper, yeah, fucked up I know) don't deserve to be given money they need to survive because...reasons? Confused

No, it's more complicated then that.
They do receive money. The whole welfare system is set up to give people in crappy situations money. BUT it's not set up to pay for your rent, your bills, food AND pay for your drug and alcohol addiction...
It's not that they don't receive money, it's what they do with said money.

This is the way I see it.
My taxes pay for welfare.
Welfare pays for rent/bills/food.
They spend said welfare money on booze and drugs.
They sit on street asking me to pay for their rent/bills/food.
Fuck off.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
25-06-2013, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2013 02:07 PM by I and I.)
Who shouldn't give to other homeless people? Poor people that have a job. Hassling low wage workers at bus stops for money and expecting it does nothing good for society. To expect other poor people to owe something to other poor people is not how society should function. The idea that a poor wage slave should feel pushed to give money to homeless people is repulsive. If you believe that homelessness should or can be stopped by other low wage workers catching the bus to work than I have to say that idea is quite fucking stupid.

The working poor are already feeling the squeeze from the right and the liberals, rich peeps and homeless peeps are good at sucking off the tit of the working poor.
25-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Your haircut's stupid.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
25-06-2013, 02:15 PM
For those of you in this thread saying that there are "good" or "bad" beggars, or that some just spend the money on drugs or whatever...how the fuck do you know this?? As if you have a fucking clue what they do with the money?

When I give money to beggars I don't care what they do with it; once they have it it isn't my money anymore, they can choose to do whatever they want with it, waste it or otherwise; its their choice. The same way that me giving them the money is my choice.

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
25-06-2013, 02:16 PM
(25-06-2013 01:57 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(25-06-2013 01:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  The difference is that a person without any money can't do anything with coupons. It would seem like a cruel joke to him.

I don't feel bad because I am better off, far from it. I worked hard for it and I deserve it. And I am damn well enjoying it.

As far as making one's bed - sometimes it just has lumps in it. So you rest on your lumpy bed and when you get up you look like shit and no one wants anything to do with you.

Life has it's lumps and bumps, and once you have seen them in your own life, you tend to soften your outlook a bit.

Yes you need money for them, but if he's going to get money anyway from someone else a bit later then he can use them to get twice the food he would have otherwise got, or a free sunday or something.
My point is, given a choice between coupon for free and nothing for free, he is out of his mind to choice the nothing. And cruel joke or not, he's not really in a position to argue when people give him free shit...

And there have been plenty of lumps in my life. I don't think it has resulted in the effect you think it should though as I think "if I can get through, why the fuck can't you?" not "ohh poor you I know what you're going through I've been there".

Quote:So...from some of the responses in this thread I have learned that...homeless people who need money to live (because our society is set up such that things essential for survival have to be payed for with circular bits of metal and rectangular bits of paper, yeah, fucked up I know) don't deserve to be given money they need to survive because...reasons? Confused

No, it's more complicated then that.
They do receive money. The whole welfare system is set up to give people in crappy situations money. BUT it's not set up to pay for your rent, your bills, food AND pay for your drug and alcohol addiction...
It's not that they don't receive money, it's what they do with said money.

This is the way I see it.
My taxes pay for welfare.
Welfare pays for rent/bills/food.
They spend said welfare money on booze and drugs.
They sit on street asking me to pay for their rent/bills/food.
Fuck off.

Dunno how it is in your country, but I don't think you can get welfare here if you don't have an address. And there are lots of people without addresses, such as people who lost their jobs and consequently their home. I also don't know how the economy is where you are, but in the US some 6 million houses were foreclosed in the last 3 years. Not everyone ends up in the streets, but a good number do. Locally here, the percentage of street people has risen along with the foreclosures.

There are a lot of people out there that just got caught up in the mess of an economy we have been having.

You should not judge anything without knowing the facts. The next homeless guy you see - remember that you don't know shit about his life. You just adopted an opinion.

Opinions are not knowledge.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Here in Portland there are food kitchens everywhere and if one is homeless here food will not be their worry.

My ex gf (yeah I have those) is a property manager for low income housing and she has tenants that get government housing and during the day huddle on street corners for some spending money.
25-06-2013, 02:21 PM
(25-06-2013 01:44 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(25-06-2013 12:56 PM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Here's what I think: If anyone that tells you that you shouldn't give money to people who need money, then it is your moral duty to tell said privileged, selfish, arrogant, ignorant, motherfucking bastard to go and fuck themselves and then see if they can live penniless on the streets for a few months. Tongue

Feel better, now? Angel

Hell yeah Cool

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."