My Experience Asking God For Evidence. (need opinions)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 03:27 AM
My Experience Asking God For Evidence. (need opinions)
Hey everyone, I need your opinions I'm sorry if the post is long but please read and give me your responses.

So we all know there is no evidence for a god, no convincing arguments, the bible, koran, torah, etc... have been shown to be full of fairy tales, contradictions, atrocities, and are not historically or scientifically accurate. You don't need a god to get the universe, life, humans, morals and really don't need god for anything, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

For these reason and others I have been an atheist for almost two years. But for the last few months I have been seeing a lot of 666's and 616's ( the number of the devil in the bible which really stands for the roman emperor Nero ) a lot so I was wondering if these were signs from a god or just coincidences. So I decided I would see if there is or is not a god, just because I want to know whats true and I don't want to get this one wrong haha.

So I decided I would do some prayers. I did 4 prayers asking for feelings. I didn't get the feelings I asked for. But since feelings aren't reliable ways for determining whats true and not true I thought I would try something else. So I did some prayers asking for signs and shockingly I didn't get the signs I asking for. But on one of those prayers I asked to see the number 473 in the views of a Christopher Hitchens video and I clicked on the video and saw 69,647. I only got 2 of the 3 numbers I asked for. There was 696 which is close to 666 and that happened in another one of the prayers asking for numbers.

I need your opinions everyone. Is me seeing 666's, 616's and 47 of 473 signs of a god or just coincidences?

Is there a god that provided no evidence and no good arguments for himself and the only way he lets me know he exists is by not giving me the evidence I ask for but instead giving me signs that look exactly like coincidences for me to try and figure out?

P.S. I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ) which actually bugs me about 6's, 9's, and sometimes 1's and looks for those numbers everywhere.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2013, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2013 04:00 AM by Atothetheist.)
RE: My Experience Asking God For Evidence. (need opinions)
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Hey everyone, I need your opinions I'm sorry if the post is long but please read and give me your responses.

So we all know there is no evidence for a god, no convincing arguments, the bible, koran, torah, etc... have been shown to be full of fairy tales, contradictions, atrocities, and are not historically or scientifically accurate. You don't need a god to get the universe, life, humans, morals and really don't need god for anything, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

For these reason and others I have been an atheist for almost two years. But for the last few months I have been seeing a lot of 666's and 616's ( the number of the devil in the bible which really stands for the roman emperor Nero ) a lot so I was wondering if these were signs from a god or just coincidences. So I decided I would see if there is or is not a god, just because I want to know whats true and I don't want to get this one wrong haha.

So I decided I would do some prayers. I did 4 prayers asking for feelings. I didn't get the feelings I asked for. But since feelings aren't reliable ways for determining whats true and not true I thought I would try something else. So I did some prayers asking for signs and shockingly I didn't get the signs I asking for. But on one of those prayers I asked to see the number 473 in the views of a Christopher Hitchens video and I clicked on the video and saw 69,647. I only got 2 of the 3 numbers I asked for. There was 696 which is close to 666 and that happened in another one of the prayers asking for numbers.

I need your opinions everyone. Is me seeing 666's, 616's and 47 of 473 signs of a god or just coincidences?

Is there a god that provided no evidence and no good arguments for himself and the only way he lets me know he exists is by not giving me the evidence I ask for but instead giving me signs that look exactly like coincidences for me to try and figure out?

P.S. I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ) which actually bugs me about 6's, 9's, and sometimes 1's and looks for those numbers everywhere.

First of all, I am not going to fault you for asking for evidence, that's a good thing. However, the evidence you asked god to present is something that could happen by coincidence, or chance. However minute, chance is still the most probable when comparing to a divine occurrence. So, personally, I think it not only not evidence, but it is horrible evidence. In order to make it as accurate as possible, you have to remove chance from the game, and then you can accurately see if there is a God or not. You have to ask for something either impossible to happen (a miracle like a floating ball, or something to that event.) or something only God can do. This removes chance and happenstance from the game and thus the evidence, or lack of that you get is more compelling than the numbers you saw.

There are such a thing as highly improbable coincidences, and even those are more common than a divine occurrence.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
31-03-2013, 03:55 AM
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Is there a god that provided no evidence and no good arguments for himself and the only way he lets me know he exists is by not giving me the evidence I ask for but instead giving me signs that look exactly like coincidences for me to try and figure out?

Simple answer:

NO.

Period.

You've been an atheist for 2 years, so you should be able to look at it this way:

If the bible is right, and if Christianity is right, if you "get this one wrong, hah" as you put it, then you will burn in hell forever. But they also say that god is perfect and god is loving and god is omniscient.

So if all that is true, then this perfect loving god has created a situation that will FORCE you to burn in hell forever. He created that stupid bible which you correctly pointed out is completely unreliable as the ONLY way to guide yourself to salvation. Then he omnisciently knows you are doubting what's real and asking for his perfect loving help to learn the truth, and he gives you some crappy partial numbers in an atheist video. Not even what you wanted.

He's omniscient, he has to know this is inadequate. He's perfect, he has to be able to do much better. He's a loving god, he has to be able to find a much, much, much better way to bring the children he loves to eternal salvation.

He failed on all these crucial points.

You know why he failed. You do. Despite your doubts and worries, you know exactly why he failed.

Because he doesn't exist.

You know why these alleged "signs" look exactly like coincidences. You do. Despite your doubts and worries, you know exactly why they look like coincidences.

Because they are coincidences. And not even very good ones.

So relax. You have nothing to worry about.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
31-03-2013, 04:06 AM
(31-03-2013 03:53 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Hey everyone, I need your opinions I'm sorry if the post is long but please read and give me your responses.

First of all, I am not going to fault you for asking for evidence, that's a good thing. However, the evidence you asked god to present is something that could happen by coincidence, or chance. However minute, chance is still the most probable when comparing to a divine occurrence. So, personally, I think it not only not evidence, but it is horrible evidence. In order to make it as accurate as possible, you have to remove chance from the game, and then you can accurately see if there is a God or not. You have to ask for something either impossible to happen (a miracle like a floating ball, or something to that event.) or something only God can do. This removes chance and happenstance from the game and thus the evidence, or lack of that you get is more compelling than the numbers you saw.

There are such a thing as highly improbable coincidences, and even those are more common than a divine occurrence.

That's a good point and something I had thought of. I guess I thought if there is a god it would more likely be willing to do something more subtle then a miracle but your right if there really is an all powerful god who's done miracles in the past it shouldn't have a problem saving my eternal soul by actually trying.
31-03-2013, 05:22 AM
All you're validating there, big guy, is evolution. Pattern recognition with the numbers, empathy with the question, "am I doing something wrong."

As for god, lemme tell you how that works. The prophet has an experience of a quantum leap of consciousness, and when that happens, brain projects Agency in the mind to preserve functionality of mind by acting as a tour guide. This Agency is nothing other than a projection of aspect of self (notice how people tend to share the same concepts as their god). This too is evolutionary.

Transmission of "Holy Spirit" is the wordless communication of emphatic faith. It is a sense of stillness, love, wisdom - that would be "essence of god" - but it ain't nothing to fear. It ain't nothing exclusive. And for sure as shit, it doesn't have Identity. It doesn't judge, it doesn't do shit. It is more like what you are, where there is no environment to cause you worry.

To summarize:

No. It ain't no god, it is pattern recognition.

No. You do nothing wrong by being compassionate to the theist view. You do even less of nothing wrong by asking questions.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-03-2013, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:23 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 2 users Like Doctor X's post
31-03-2013, 05:42 AM
(31-03-2013 05:23 AM)Doctor X Wrote:  Why concern yourself with a long dead Roman Emperor?

--J.D.

I saw a youtube about that the other day. It was pretty convincing. Thumbsup

PS I'm on my second drink. Big Grin

31-03-2013, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:23 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
31-03-2013, 05:50 AM
(31-03-2013 05:45 AM)Doctor X Wrote:  Lightweight!

[Image: db908516.gif]

--J.D.

Tongue

31-03-2013, 05:50 AM

Even if you saw 473, that would not be compelling evidence for God's existence.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post