My Experience Asking God For Evidence. (need opinions)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:22 PM by Doctor X.)
RE: My Experience Asking God For Evidence. (need opinions)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2013, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2013 03:43 PM by Katiegal.)
(31-03-2013 03:53 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Hey everyone, I need your opinions I'm sorry if the post is long but please read and give me your responses.

So we all know there is no evidence for a god, no convincing arguments, the bible, koran, torah, etc... have been shown to be full of fairy tales, contradictions, atrocities, and are not historically or scientifically accurate. You don't need a god to get the universe, life, humans, morals and really don't need god for anything, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

For these reason and others I have been an atheist for almost two years. But for the last few months I have been seeing a lot of 666's and 616's ( the number of the devil in the bible which really stands for the roman emperor Nero ) a lot so I was wondering if these were signs from a god or just coincidences. So I decided I would see if there is or is not a god, just because I want to know whats true and I don't want to get this one wrong haha.

So I decided I would do some prayers. I did 4 prayers asking for feelings. I didn't get the feelings I asked for. But since feelings aren't reliable ways for determining whats true and not true I thought I would try something else. So I did some prayers asking for signs and shockingly I didn't get the signs I asking for. But on one of those prayers I asked to see the number 473 in the views of a Christopher Hitchens video and I clicked on the video and saw 69,647. I only got 2 of the 3 numbers I asked for. There was 696 which is close to 666 and that happened in another one of the prayers asking for numbers.

I need your opinions everyone. Is me seeing 666's, 616's and 47 of 473 signs of a god or just coincidences?

Is there a god that provided no evidence and no good arguments for himself and the only way he lets me know he exists is by not giving me the evidence I ask for but instead giving me signs that look exactly like coincidences for me to try and figure out?

P.S. I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ) which actually bugs me about 6's, 9's, and sometimes 1's and looks for those numbers everywhere.

First of all, I am not going to fault you for asking for evidence, that's a good thing. However, the evidence you asked god to present is something that could happen by coincidence, or chance. However minute, chance is still the most probable when comparing to a divine occurrence. So, personally, I think it not only not evidence, but it is horrible evidence. In order to make it as accurate as possible, you have to remove chance from the game, and then you can accurately see if there is a God or not. You have to ask for something either impossible to happen (a miracle like a floating ball, or something to that event.) or something only God can do. This removes chance and happenstance from the game and thus the evidence, or lack of that you get is more compelling than the numbers you saw.

There are such a thing as highly improbable coincidences, and even those are more common than a divine occurrence.
I have to go along with Asceptic Skeptic. You are suffering from scraps of your religious indoctrination returning with unwanted visits. They are causing mild periods of your second-guessing yourself. Consequently, you are putting aside your logic and objective thinking in favor of past emotions, and the aberrant results thereof. It has happened to me, but such episodes are occurring less often as my past religious training becomes ever more buried below my sense of rational thinking.
31-03-2013, 03:25 PM
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  So I did some prayers asking for signs and shockingly I didn't get the signs I asking for. But on one of those prayers I asked to see the number 473 in the views of a Christopher Hitchens video and I clicked on the video and saw 69,647. I only got 2 of the 3 numbers I asked for. There was 696 which is close to 666 and that happened in another one of the prayers asking for numbers.

Typical confirmation bias.

The number 666 is not coming up in your life any more than any other random number. You are just noticing it more because the number is imbued with some sort of significance.

I mean, seriously. You are even counting 'close calls' of equally random numbers as 'hits'.

Quote: need your opinions everyone. Is me seeing 666's, 616's and 47 of 473 signs of a god or just coincidences?

Neither.

If you were raised in a non-Christian culture, 666 would be meaningless to you.
[+] 3 users Like Simon Moon's post
31-03-2013, 04:13 PM
(31-03-2013 02:14 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  You are suffering from scraps of your religious indoctrination returning with unwanted visits. They are causing mild periods of your second-guessing yourself. Consequently, you are putting aside your logic and objective thinking in favor of past emotions, and the aberrant results thereof.

I would agree with Katiegal on this. As well, I think this possibly hits you where you are most vulnerable - right in your OCD! Your past indoctrination has gotten ahold of your sixes and nines, and is serving your information back to you in it's own nicely cooked up dish of home made comfort food.

To answer your question: No, it's all coincidence. To go on thinking it's anything but coincidence will just rehash some preconceived notion or possibly some previously wished for idea you thought you set aside. It's called confirmation bias.

Why? Old habits die hard.
Don't let it side track your growth rather, become analytical about it and further learn to recognize before hand, what stimulates this grasping for "clues" or "signs". Ask yourself, "What is making me want this?... What has happened to make me revert to this old pattern recognition?" Exercising your analytical brain just a little bit differently might help you with your OCD issue.

I don't pretend to know your struggle with OCD. My cousin's daughter is struggling with it and I am very aware how baffling and exhausting it can be for her. Good on you for straight up asking; it's the best way to get the best feedback! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-03-2013, 06:53 PM
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Hey everyone, I need your opinions I'm sorry if the post is long but please read and give me your responses.

So we all know there is no evidence for a god, no convincing arguments, the bible, koran, torah, etc... have been shown to be full of fairy tales, contradictions, atrocities, and are not historically or scientifically accurate. You don't need a god to get the universe, life, humans, morals and really don't need god for anything, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

For these reason and others I have been an atheist for almost two years. But for the last few months I have been seeing a lot of 666's and 616's ( the number of the devil in the bible which really stands for the roman emperor Nero ) a lot so I was wondering if these were signs from a god or just coincidences. So I decided I would see if there is or is not a god, just because I want to know whats true and I don't want to get this one wrong haha.

So I decided I would do some prayers. I did 4 prayers asking for feelings. I didn't get the feelings I asked for. But since feelings aren't reliable ways for determining whats true and not true I thought I would try something else. So I did some prayers asking for signs and shockingly I didn't get the signs I asking for. But on one of those prayers I asked to see the number 473 in the views of a Christopher Hitchens video and I clicked on the video and saw 69,647. I only got 2 of the 3 numbers I asked for. There was 696 which is close to 666 and that happened in another one of the prayers asking for numbers.

I need your opinions everyone. Is me seeing 666's, 616's and 47 of 473 signs of a god or just coincidences?

Is there a god that provided no evidence and no good arguments for himself and the only way he lets me know he exists is by not giving me the evidence I ask for but instead giving me signs that look exactly like coincidences for me to try and figure out?

P.S. I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ) which actually bugs me about 6's, 9's, and sometimes 1's and looks for those numbers everywhere.

The numbers 666 and 619 are nothing special, they are just numbers and have no power apart from the bogus power we give them by pretending they represent the devil.

Getting 2 out of 3 numbers you asked for in a YouTube video is definitely not evidence for God. He didn't answer you other prayers and he didn't even answer this one as he couldn't even give you all 3 numbers. Also the video had 69,647 views. You wanted 3 out of 10 different numbers and got 2. Its not like you asked for something really difficult and specific, its not difficult to choose 3 numbers out of 10 and get 2 right.

How can you sincerely believe this is evidence for God? He doesn't give any tangible evidence, he doesn't seem to intervene in the world, science and critical thinking show he is highly unlikely, the Bible and other religious books lack credibility and are full of contradictions, yet somehow you think God might exist because you saw some numbers.

You even admitted you look for the numbers 6 1 and 9 everywhere, so your bound to have seen the number combinations somewhere if you are looking for them. I think its your OCD making you obsess over this.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
01-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Numerology, dude? Have you checked with your astrologer?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Why not pray for something like raining frogs? Whatsoever ye ask in prayer, you get, right? Mere feelings was a really odd thing to pray for.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
30-08-2013, 11:13 AM
1. Did you give god a suggested time limit to answer your prayer? Tell him you need what you need and want what you want sooner rather than later.

2. Did you ask god to show you his power by removing your compulsions, or by limiting them at least?

3. Do you think it was a good idea to ask a bunch of people who hate god with a passion for advice on how to see him when he reveals himself to you? What kind of "answers" does that mean you are seeking?
30-08-2013, 02:13 PM
(31-03-2013 03:27 AM)JackDaniels Wrote:  P.S. I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ) which actually bugs me about 6's, 9's, and sometimes 1's and looks for those numbers everywhere.
How good are you at math and statistics?
There are 10 digits 0..9
the 6 and 9 are two of them so you have a 20% chance that any digit is going to be one of those.
If a number has two digits then you have 2 chances out of a 100 (2%) that both a 6 and a 9 will appear as either 69 or 96, you have another 2 chances that you get 66 or 99 so odds are (4%), the chances of getting a 6 and a non (6 or 9) are 10% * 80% = 8% which you have to multiply by two because the 6 could be in the first column or the second column = 16%, and the same goes for a 9 so that is another 16%, so you have 16+16+2+2 = 36% chance of having at least a 6 or 9 in a number consisting of 2 digits. For a 3 digit number your chances are 20 + 16 + 12.8 = 48.8% chance.
For a 4 digit number you have a 51% chance.

And the problem for you is that you are paying extreme attention to when these numbers show up and are probably not counting the amounts of times these numbers dont show up.
This is how people become superstitious, lack of understanding of the odds.
04-09-2013, 08:07 AM
faith is a kind of flash OCD: a fixation on what you want to see and then see lots of it, to have an outside "proof" of what your belief dictates in the first place.