My Father-in-law is testing me(I think)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 02:45 PM
My Father-in-law is testing me(I think)
So I'll preface this with that it's no bad blood between my in laws seeing as they're are the more open minded ones. Now with that being said my father in law is the one who is the jesus nut on that side. So we were hanging out today and he say's to my wife and I " So you know your future kid is going to baptized right? Because I'm going to bring your husband to the light." Laughat Now He did say this jokingly but he added at the end " We'll get to whatever demons or things that people at that other church did to turn you away"

So all of the conversations we have had about this which haven't been many were about my parents pushing religion and such. I think he is under the impression that the only reason I'm an atheist is because I had a bad time while around religion. All I really said in response to this was that we should really sit down and discuss this because you really don't understand why I'm an atheist. He's actually a really good guy so I don't take any of his see the light talk as annoying because he is just doing what he think is right because he wants me to succeed in my business due so his daughter is taken care of. The only way he sees this happening is if I do like him and turn to god and such. I'll keep you all posted on the discussion if it happens seeing as we do work together often in one of my side businesses.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
24-01-2015, 02:49 PM
RE: My Father-in-law is testing me(I think)
At least he isn't in your face. It sounds like he may actually be open to discussion. That's a good thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-01-2015, 02:52 PM
(24-01-2015 02:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At least he isn't in your face. It sounds like he may actually be open to discussion. That's a good thing.
Yeah I mean we've had our bad times but that wasn't on religion it was on my not asking for his daughter's hand and blah blah blah. Overall he is actually very understanding and he doesn't really push or ever bring it up. The only reason he was on the subject was because he was feeling good about how much his business has grown and thinks the only reason is it is because of the grace of god blah blah blah.
24-01-2015, 02:57 PM
I see telling him that it needs further discussion as you giving him an open invite to impose his beliefs on you and your family.
Imposing is imposing whether friendly or not.
24-01-2015, 03:46 PM
(24-01-2015 02:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  I see telling him that it needs further discussion as you giving him an open invite to impose his beliefs on you and your family.
The discussion is going to be about why I'm atheist but I understand what you're saying.
24-01-2015, 04:11 PM
(24-01-2015 03:46 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 02:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  I see telling him that it needs further discussion as you giving him an open invite to impose his beliefs on you and your family.
The discussion is going to be about why I'm atheist but I understand what you're saying.

Fair enough, hope it all goes well. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-01-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't envy your situation. I'm a Thinker in the Jungian sense so I say it like it is, harmony in relationship be damn. If my FIL were to do that to me, I would welcome a debate with him and ridicule religion with extreme prejudice.
24-01-2015, 08:12 PM
(24-01-2015 07:24 PM)beerbudget Wrote:  I don't envy your situation. I'm a Thinker in the Jungian sense so I say it like it is, harmony in relationship be damn. If my FIL were to do that to me, I would welcome a debate with him and ridicule religion with extreme prejudice.
I'm trying to avoid being too much of a butthole because I know most religious people can't take ridicule and criticism of their most cherished belief Undecided. I can take being the outcast and such but I try not to change people like him because him without some sort of sky daddy looking over him to make sure he's not bad might not be the best thing for society.
24-01-2015, 08:32 PM
So have you thought about buying "A Manual for Creating Atheists" and just deconverting him so you wouldn't have to go through this? I'm about to try it on my mother in law.
24-01-2015, 09:11 PM
For once, I'm glad to be living in a country where no one gives a fuck what anyone believes...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user