My First Debate with a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 08:55 PM
My First Debate with a Theist
I haven't debated many people about theism, but I did debate one about a year and a half ago when I was sixteen. The debate was about morality. It was on the fourth of July and I was in the park by my grandparents house to celebrate. They had many various booths around the park with sweets, foods and fun activities. But, one of the tables was called "The Good Person Test" Having seen this, I couldn't resist going up to the booth. They were even handing out material from the Banana Man himself, Ray Cumfart.(how immature I know Tongue) They had things such as the CD "God Doesn't Believe in Atheists" the fake dollar bills that are actually gospel messages, and the little pamphlet "The Atheist Test"(the pamphlet talked about the banana being the atheist nightmare, I couldn't stop laughing) One of the older men at the booth had me take the Good Person Test. I'm sure most of you know it's the one about how well are living your life by the Ten Commandments. So, he asked me if I had stolen anything, taken the Lord's name in vain, or even lusted after anyone, etc. Of course, things such as Lord's name in vain I had done, and I answered so with a smile on my face, which seemed to confuse the man. So, you can bet that he told me my soul was destined for Hell. This is when our debate started.

I had expressed to him that I thought these Commandments were rather unfair, since everyone is guilty of doing or not doing one of these things at some point. Such as when I having taken the name of God in vain, many people do that when they are frustrated, or in a lot of pain. It is natural for people to swear or cuss at these times, it helps people calm down. If one of the most important Commandments is "Though shall not kill" then why is so much war allowed to happen on the earth, does everyone who's ever been a cop or soldier deserve to rot in Hell for an eternity? Or, stealing, many kids are often guilty of stealing a cookie or some other sweet when their mother or father is not paying attention, or picking up a pencil they found in the hallway of their school. Do those children deserve Hell? The topic of stealing is what took up the end portion of our conversation, and lead to the most memorable part for me.

The man at the booth had me read out loud First Corinthians 6:9-6:10: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…" This is when I had asked him what about the people who need to steal food in order to survive. I had given him a hypothetical scenario where a family is homeless on the streets, all churches and soup kitchens are closed, and the only way they are able to get any food is to steal from the local convenience store. They had not eaten all day, and within the family were young children. If the mother or father of the family stole food from the store to feed to her children, does she/he and her/his family deserve to burn in Hell forever?

What he said afterwards I have never forgotten. He said and I quote "Well... that.. That doesn't happen anymore." A few moments after that my father told me we had to leave, and as soon as I was out of earshot, I laughed at the man's response. I could not believe that anyone, especially someone much older than I, could say something like that in person with a straight face.

Well, there's my long ass story about my first debate about theism. If you were able to read this far, Thank you! I hope you enjoyed my story.

It's alright to laugh at me, I've been laughing at myself for years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like ScarletStormBreaker's post
27-01-2017, 10:03 PM
RE: My First Debate with a Theist
(27-01-2017 08:55 PM)ScarletStormBreaker Wrote:  I haven't debated many people about theism, but I did debate one about a year and a half ago when I was sixteen. The debate was about morality. It was on the fourth of July and I was in the park by my grandparents house to celebrate. They had many various booths around the park with sweets, foods and fun activities. But, one of the tables was called "The Good Person Test" Having seen this, I couldn't resist going up to the booth. They were even handing out material from the Banana Man himself, Ray Cumfart.(how immature I know Tongue) They had things such as the CD "God Doesn't Believe in Atheists" the fake dollar bills that are actually gospel messages, and the little pamphlet "The Atheist Test"(the pamphlet talked about the banana being the atheist nightmare, I couldn't stop laughing) One of the older men at the booth had me take the Good Person Test. I'm sure most of you know it's the one about how well are living your life by the Ten Commandments. So, he asked me if I had stolen anything, taken the Lord's name in vain, or even lusted after anyone, etc. Of course, things such as Lord's name in vain I had done, and I answered so with a smile on my face, which seemed to confuse the man. So, you can bet that he told me my soul was destined for Hell. This is when our debate started.

I had expressed to him that I thought these Commandments were rather unfair, since everyone is guilty of doing or not doing one of these things at some point. Such as when I having taken the name of God in vain, many people do that when they are frustrated, or in a lot of pain. It is natural for people to swear or cuss at these times, it helps people calm down. If one of the most important Commandments is "Though shall not kill" then why is so much war allowed to happen on the earth, does everyone who's ever been a cop or soldier deserve to rot in Hell for an eternity? Or, stealing, many kids are often guilty of stealing a cookie or some other sweet when their mother or father is not paying attention, or picking up a pencil they found in the hallway of their school. Do those children deserve Hell? The topic of stealing is what took up the end portion of our conversation, and lead to the most memorable part for me.

The man at the booth had me read out loud First Corinthians 6:9-6:10: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…" This is when I had asked him what about the people who need to steal food in order to survive. I had given him a hypothetical scenario where a family is homeless on the streets, all churches and soup kitchens are closed, and the only way they are able to get any food is to steal from the local convenience store. They had not eaten all day, and within the family were young children. If the mother or father of the family stole food from the store to feed to her children, does she/he and her/his family deserve to burn in Hell forever?

What he said afterwards I have never forgotten. He said and I quote "Well... that.. That doesn't happen anymore." A few moments after that my father told me we had to leave, and as soon as I was out of earshot, I laughed at the man's response. I could not believe that anyone, especially someone much older than I, could say something like that in person with a straight face.

Well, there's my long ass story about my first debate about theism. If you were able to read this far, Thank you! I hope you enjoyed my story.

Mr. Cumfart and his buddies say a lot of things that rational people would have a hard time saying with a straight face. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-01-2017, 03:27 AM
You have to know how to take these tests.

Quote:So, he asked me if I had stolen anything

Your daughter's virginity, though it was more like peer-to-peer filesharing than actual theft.

Quote:taken the Lord's name in vain

All the god damn time!

Quote:or even lusted after anyone

Why are you asking big boy?

Quote:So, you can bet that he told me my soul was destined for Hell.

Oh thank god! For a moment I was worried I be spending Eternitiy in a torment of mirthless, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou cretins like you.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
28-01-2017, 03:33 AM
(28-01-2017 03:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  You have to know how to take these tests.

Quote:So, he asked me if I had stolen anything

Your daughter's virginity, though it was more like peer-to-peer filesharing than actual theft.

Quote:taken the Lord's name in vain

All the god damn time!

Quote:or even lusted after anyone

Why are you asking big boy?

Quote:So, you can bet that he told me my soul was destined for Hell.

Oh thank god! For a moment I was worried I be spending Eternitiy in a torment of mirthless, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou cretins like you.

That made me laugh.

28-01-2017, 03:39 AM
Well played Smile At 16 I wouldn't have been able to debate one of these clowns. I salute you Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-01-2017, 03:58 AM
(28-01-2017 03:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well played Smile At 16 I wouldn't have been able to debate one of these clowns. I salute you Smile
Haha, thank you. My family has always said I'm a rather intelligent person.

[+] 2 users Like ScarletStormBreaker's post
28-01-2017, 05:04 AM
Yeah, you're a bright kid. I hope you never stop pursuing knowledge and thinking rationally.

Down in Louisiana, from whence I hail, the favorite trap is to ask people at any social gathering (and I mean ANY social gathering) what church they attend, as a way of sniffing out In-Group/Out-Group... usually for the purpose of seeing who's Catholic and who's Protestant, the "big division" in south Louisiana, but it also serves the purpose of forcing people to lie or else admit they are Targets for Proselytization (either no faith or a member of a "false religion", as the Christers down there see it).

While at a small RenFest, at the age of 20, I had a guy at one of the costuming-booth tables ask me what church I attended. I told him I did not, and when he asked why, I simply replied, "Because I am not a Christian." He looked baffled! Apparently, I was the first person he'd ever met who wasn't one, and it triggered his "MUST PROSELYTIZE" auto-response.

I didn't yet call or think of myself as an atheist-- really more of a "justdontgiveafuckist"-- but the guy clearly assumed that's what I meant, because he started several of the preprogrammed responses we've all come to recognize here on this board: "Well you may not believe in God but God believes in you", et cetera. I just smiled and was going to let it go, when he pulled the "you are a sinner" stuff. Now I may not have been an atheist, but I was an ex-Christian, and the sneering way he pronounced the word set me off. I lit into him about how I was actually too moral to be a Christian, and started citing examples of the immoral things I found in the Bible, from slavery to God-ordered genocide.

At that point, he switched tactics to trying to attack evolution, and I was just finishing my first year as a biology major, so I REALLY got into the discussion, soundly thrashing every point of nonsense he put forth. I didn't know, then, what the "Gish Gallop" was, but it eventually became apparent that he wasn't listening to my replies or realizing that he was demonstrably wrong even about basic definitions (why does this never even make them PAUSE?), so I decided to leave and I basically told him it was people like his ignorant ass that convinced me to leave Christianity. Also, my girlfriend and best friend were kind of tugging on me to leave, at that point. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-01-2017, 05:13 AM
(28-01-2017 05:04 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yeah, you're a bright kid. I hope you never stop pursuing knowledge and thinking rationally.

Down in Louisiana, from whence I hail, the favorite trap is to ask people at any social gathering (and I mean ANY social gathering) what church they attend, as a way of sniffing out In-Group/Out-Group... usually for the purpose of seeing who's Catholic and who's Protestant, the "big division" in south Louisiana, but it also serves the purpose of forcing people to lie or else admit they are Targets for Proselytization (either no faith or a member of a "false religion", as the Christers down there see it).

While at a small RenFest, at the age of 20, I had a guy at one of the costuming-booth tables ask me what church I attended. I told him I did not, and when he asked why, I simply replied, "Because I am not a Christian." He looked baffled! Apparently, I was the first person he'd ever met who wasn't one, and it triggered his "MUST PROSELYTIZE" auto-response.

I didn't yet call or think of myself as an atheist-- really more of a "justdontgiveafuckist"-- but the guy clearly assumed that's what I meant, because he started several of the preprogrammed responses we've all come to recognize here on this board: "Well you may not believe in God but God believes in you", et cetera. I just smiled and was going to let it go, when he pulled the "you are a sinner" stuff. Now I may not have been an atheist, but I was an ex-Christian, and the sneering way he pronounced the word set me off. I lit into him about how I was actually too moral to be a Christian, and started citing examples of the immoral things I found in the Bible, from slavery to God-ordered genocide.

At that point, he switched tactics to trying to attack evolution, and I was just finishing my first year as a biology major, so I REALLY got into the discussion, soundly thrashing every point of nonsense he put forth. I didn't know, then, what the "Gish Gallop" was, but it eventually became apparent that he wasn't listening to my replies or realizing that he was demonstrably wrong even about basic definitions (why does this never even make them PAUSE?), so I decided to leave and I basically told him it was people like his ignorant ass that convinced me to leave Christianity. Also, my girlfriend and best friend were kind of tugging on me to leave, at that point. Laugh out load
Haha, that's a pretty entertaining story. I've never actually had an incident like that happen. Everyone who I've ever discussed theology with has been rather polite. I'm grateful for that.

28-01-2017, 05:58 AM
First year university this red-head *bombshell* knocked on my door and invited me to church Blush Those guys knew marketing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-01-2017, 06:05 AM
(28-01-2017 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  First year university this red-head *bombshell* knocked on my door and invited me to church Blush Those guys knew marketing.

Christianity and marketing pretty much go hand and hand. Religion is a business.