My First PDA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 09:45 PM
My First PDA
"Public Display of Atheism"...

So I've been playing in an adult softball league, and it turns out that not only is it men only, but is also predominately church teams. (It's actually the league my church used to play in when I went there; luckily it seems they don't play anymore)

Anyway, my team is mostly people from work and their friends, but they still participate in the post-game prayer circle. I stood on the outskirts of the circle during the prayer the first couple games, but it just felt weird. So last game I decided to head straight for the dugout after shaking hands, expecting them to just go on about their business.

But everyone stopped and looked at me and a few from my team called out like I just forgot about the prayer. I said "y'all can go ahead" and waited in the dugout. A few people chuckled and then they prayed. No one really said anything about it, except a couple friendly jokes and a "it's a free country"

It felt better than pretending to participate but I might just go back to waiting until they bow their heads to walk away to avoid all the attention.

Anyone have any similar experiences?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Dex's post
10-05-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: My First PDA
Can't say that I have. But then again I don't live in bible country not had a big religious theist upbringing.
Keep us posted.
It could be interesting.
Either way we will be there for you.

Cheers
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
11-05-2017, 06:33 AM
(10-05-2017 09:45 PM)Dex Wrote:  "Public Display of Atheism"...

So I've been playing in an adult softball league, and it turns out that not only is it men only, but is also predominately church teams. (It's actually the league my church used to play in when I went there; luckily it seems they don't play anymore)

Anyway, my team is mostly people from work and their friends, but they still participate in the post-game prayer circle. I stood on the outskirts of the circle during the prayer the first couple games, but it just felt weird. So last game I decided to head straight for the dugout after shaking hands, expecting them to just go on about their business.

But everyone stopped and looked at me and a few from my team called out like I just forgot about the prayer. I said "y'all can go ahead" and waited in the dugout. A few people chuckled and then they prayed. No one really said anything about it, except a couple friendly jokes and a "it's a free country"

It felt better than pretending to participate but I might just go back to waiting until they bow their heads to walk away to avoid all the attention.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

I was volunteering at our kid's school, watching over the kids on the playground. I learned that some of the teachers weren't getting a lunch break because they were short handed. I worked at home just a few miles from the school at the time so I volunteered to help out an hour and a half, two days a week. The teacher I was paired with was a Mormon and she kept talking about God and her religion, bringing me things she printed off of the web, inviting me to her church. Finally one day I'd had enough and told her I was atheist. You should have seen the look on her face. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she backed away a few steps and stammered "you don't believe in God?". I said that I didn't. She said "but you're so nice". She was moving away the next day and that was the last time she spoke to me.

Just recently I was in the farm store and an older man in his 60's come bustling into the store. He walked up behind me in line at the counter, leaned around and said "did you go to church today?". I said no, that I was atheist and I had better things to do on a fine Sunday morning than sit and listen to a pack of lies. He said with a big smile "me neither, it doesn't fit with my beliefs any more" and then went back outside. All motion behind the counter had meanwhile ceased and the two people there were looking down and wouldn't look me in the eye as I checked out. The girl who was sweeping up stood with her broom frozen in mid sweep.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
11-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Quote:A personal digital assistant (PDA), also known as a handheld PC, or personal digital assistant, is a mobile device that functions as a personal information manager. PDAs were largely discontinued in the early 2010s after the widespread adoption of highly capable smartphones, in particular those based on iOS and Android.

Nearly all PDAs have the ability to connect to the Internet. A PDA has an electronic visual display, letting it include a web browser. All models also have audio capabilities, allowing usage as a portable media player, and also enabling most of them to be used as mobile phones. Most PDAs can access the Internet, intranets or extranets via Wi-Fi or Wireless Wide Area Networks. Most PDAs employ touchscreen technology.

Those things were all the rage at one point....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-05-2017, 07:01 AM
I live in the dead center of the bible belt. I'm participating in a PTSD program at the largest hospital in the state and was asked to give a view of what it's like to suffer from PTSD. I'm an alcoholic (sober for 6 years now) and the subject of AA was brought up. I told them that I could get to the first step and admit I'm an alcoholic but couldn't get to the next step of releasing it to a higher power because I'm an Atheist. To my surprise no one said anything. In fact I actually got a couple of "makes sense" nods. I've always been an open book about being an Atheist. Don't get me wrong... I don't stand on street corners with a sign but if anyone asks I'm honest. I see no shame in it and if someone doesn't agree then that is their problem not mine. I don't judge people by what they choose to believe. That is their right.

My parents are devout Christians and every birthday, thanksgiving, Christmas, etc... they all hold hands and pray. I quietly stand to the side and wait. They know (and don't really approve) but so be it. I don't do anything to stop them from praying as it isn't my place just as it isn't their place to make me join in something that I don't believe.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
11-05-2017, 07:08 AM
I recently started opting out of the Lord's Prayer at AA.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
11-05-2017, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 10:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
We've been lookin around at each other at the dinner table, squeezing mashed potatoes out our teeth,
using beens for buck teeth, trying to make each other laugh while granny prayed, since I was 2. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2017, 10:41 AM
I used to play guitar and sing at my church. When i stopped going I ended up having to tell the music pastor, the senior pastor, and the worship coordinator that I no longer believed in God. I didn't want to explain to them why, because I understood the Christian faith very well, had a fairly sound grasp of science, and my reasons for leaving may have made some of the senior staff question their faith as I did mine.

The church I went to was actually a very lovely, warm, caring place. Not going anymore was actually very sad.

... Actually until 3 speeding tickets all from Sunday mornings showed up in the mail one after the other. Same spot too. That made it a little easier. Flippin' photo radar nabbing people on their way to church.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
11-05-2017, 11:37 AM
My family only does a formal prayer at Christmas & reunions, so about twice a year.

I stand there with eyes open and head not bowed.
When I was much much younger I use to mentally say to myself "If a bear or aliens should attack, I'll be able to react first in order to protect everyone."

As the years have gone by, I have seen more and more family members with eyes open and heads not bowed.

The funny thing is, that those with eyes closed and heads down have no idea that this is happening.
They aren't aware of this slow gradual change.
They think everything has remained the same.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
11-05-2017, 11:46 AM
(11-05-2017 06:33 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Finally one day I'd had enough and told her I was atheist. You should have seen the look on her face. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she backed away a few steps and stammered "you don't believe in God?". I said that I didn't. She said "but you're so nice". She was moving away the next day and that was the last time she spoke to me.
Lol ... I hear stories like that alot. It's like they just ASSUME that everyone who doesn't believe in god HATES god, puppies, America and apple pie, would be some sort of bitter curmudgeon who would NEVER volunteer to help anyone. It's priceless when those assumptions go out the window, especially if they've already decided, absent any knowledge of your apostasy, that you ARE nice based on your actual behavior.
(11-05-2017 06:33 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Just recently I was in the farm store and an older man in his 60's come bustling into the store. He walked up behind me in line at the counter, leaned around and said "did you go to church today?". I said no, that I was atheist and I had better things to do on a fine Sunday morning than sit and listen to a pack of lies. He said with a big smile "me neither, it doesn't fit with my beliefs any more" and then went back outside. All motion behind the counter had meanwhile ceased and the two people there were looking down and wouldn't look me in the eye as I checked out. The girl who was sweeping up stood with her broom frozen in mid sweep.
Time stood still. The clock on the wall ticked away the seconds. Somewhere, a dog barked.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post