My First Tattoo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 09:20 AM
RE: My First Tattoo
(23-06-2012 09:02 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Also, people have lots of remarks about tattoos... I have a bunch of them, and I think the "permanent reaction to a temporary feeling" comment is a little crass.

I prefer to view my tattoos as bookmarks for many chapters of my life.
I have heard from many people that they regret this or that tattoo, or having been tattooed at all. I also have a friend who is well on his way to a body suit. His answer to "Why?" is more or less "Why not?". He likes tattoos.

Crass adjective, crass·er, crass·est. 1. without refinement, delicacy, or sensitivity; gross; obtuse; stupid

Did you mean 'crass', or is there a more accurate adjective?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2012 09:51 AM by DannyW.)
No, not so much; I meant "crass". Smile I could have used "unfairly and ignorantly judgmental of other people's choices" to describe what I thought of the comment, but I chose to be a little more sensitive and mild, not knowing just how much of dick you might have been trying to be.

Since I chose not to assume you were a dick, I used "crass" instead of engaging in name-calling or puffing up & taking offense.

FWIW, I have lots of tattoos, and my wife has none. She chooses not to have any, for various reasons, which I wholeheartedly respect. Personally, I've been married to someone who is even more inked than me, and to a couple who have none at all. Call me a hypocrite, but I prefer the women with none at all. I think all women are works of art in and of themselves, without any other adornment or decoration needed. Well, a little eye-makeup is kinda sexy.... Wink

Edit: I should say that I really think that your position of not getting any tattoos, since you haven't found anything important & personal enough to live with forever on your skin, is a smart one. Too many people rush out & get ill-advised tats that they later regret. They don't make you cool, sexy, or intimidating. The only tattoos I regret are the ones I haven't gotten.
Find all posts by this user
23-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I have a couple that I probably wouldn't do again, but I used good sense in placement so they aren't visible most of the time...I don't regret them, but I have now had better work by better artists.

The big one on my leg was years in the planning and I love it.

My breast cancer ribbon on my arm with the words "approaching normal" were done on the one year anniversary of having both breasts removed. No regrets...it reminds me that I am getting healthier every day and kicking cancer's ass.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Anjele, if we ever cross paths, I'm buying all the drinks you want. Way to kick ass, lady.

Lost my mom to it in 1998, age 51.
23-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I am sorry to hear about you mom...breast cancer seems so random and senseless. Who gets it and who survives it seems to be luck of the draw.

I was 52 when I was diagnosed, will be 55 next week.

And I will be a cheap date since I don't drink, but I appreciate the offer!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
23-06-2012, 01:33 PM
(23-06-2012 09:48 AM)DannyW Wrote:  No, not so much; I meant "crass". Smile I could have used "unfairly and ignorantly judgmental of other people's choices" to describe what I thought of the comment, but I chose to be a little more sensitive and mild, not knowing just how much of dick you might have been trying to be.

Since I chose not to assume you were a dick, I used "crass" instead of engaging in name-calling or puffing up & taking offense.

FWIW, I have lots of tattoos, and my wife has none. She chooses not to have any, for various reasons, which I wholeheartedly respect. Personally, I've been married to someone who is even more inked than me, and to a couple who have none at all. Call me a hypocrite, but I prefer the women with none at all. I think all women are works of art in and of themselves, without any other adornment or decoration needed. Well, a little eye-makeup is kinda sexy.... Wink

Edit: I should say that I really think that your position of not getting any tattoos, since you haven't found anything important & personal enough to live with forever on your skin, is a smart one. Too many people rush out & get ill-advised tats that they later regret. They don't make you cool, sexy, or intimidating. The only tattoos I regret are the ones I haven't gotten.
Well, it wasn't crass. It's called humor.
Like, what do you call a second marriage? The triumph of hope over experience.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I stand corrected then, Chas. That's why I didn't want to get too bent out of shape; sarcasm & humor sometimes just doesn't translate across the interwebz. I thought you were being serious... and crass! Wink
23-06-2012, 01:56 PM
(23-06-2012 01:47 PM)DannyW Wrote:  I stand corrected then, Chas. That's why I didn't want to get too bent out of shape; sarcasm & humor sometimes just doesn't translate across the interwebz. I thought you were being serious... and crass! Wink
OK, but don't get me started on piercings.

23-06-2012, 02:33 PM
LOL! At this time, I only have one in each ear. Of course, between that & my tattoos, I'm a bit of a radical terrorist at my office. Throw in the atheism & add a heaping dose of liberal, I'm just a commie pinko faggot bastard!
24-06-2012, 07:30 PM
(23-06-2012 09:02 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Also, people have lots of remarks about tattoos... I have a bunch of them, and I think the "permanent reaction to a temporary feeling" comment is a little crass.

Nah, it's a little Chas. Reminds me of that stupid Ram billboard I saw one time: you'll like your new Ram longer than your new tattoo, or some trite bullshit. My Gwynnies on my arm eleven years (best tat everz), that Ram now in China being made into Hot Wheels. Tongue

Nice ink, btw. Even if the Mariners suck. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]