My First Tattoo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2012, 07:36 PM
RE: My First Tattoo
Hey, hey... don't be hatin' on the Raintown Nine.... Mariner nation, baby. Got my offishul Ken Griffey Jr. jersey hanging it its garment bag in the closet - never worn. The Ichiro jersey is my regular wear... Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DannyW's post
24-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I've been to a tattoo parlor a few times with a friend (when they got work done), but I've never seen any that I liked. Flaming skulls, butterflies, flowers, dragons, etc. just don't do it for me. If I'm going to get something it's going to mean something. I've seen far too many people getting crappy tats just on a whim--my brother and brother-in-law are two examples. I've studied Asian language and culture for many years now, so one would think I would get some sort of Hanzi or Kanji. However, I've seen how some tattoo artists not familiar with the intricacies of calligraphy have butchered Asian logograms. If I were to get something, it would most likely be a Thai Buddhist talisman tattoo of the Hindu Monkey God Hanuman, as I am a huge fan of the Ramayana and Journey to the West (the main character of which is thought to be based on him), or some kind of Maori warrior tattoo, both performed by official artists trained under the respective traditions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
24-06-2012, 07:59 PM
(24-06-2012 07:30 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 09:02 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Also, people have lots of remarks about tattoos... I have a bunch of them, and I think the "permanent reaction to a temporary feeling" comment is a little crass.

Nah, it's a little Chas. Reminds me of that stupid Ram billboard I saw one time: you'll like your new Ram longer than your new tattoo, or some trite bullshit. My Gwynnies on my arm eleven years (best tat everz), that Ram now in China being made into Hot Wheels. Tongue

Nice ink, btw. Even if the Mariners suck. Tongue
I call 'em as I see 'em. I see most tattoos as regrettable. Chacun à son goût.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
25-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Well, I can mostly agree with you on that, Chas. I see a lot of tats on people that I'm pretty sure they'll regret later in life. If not, they probably should.

I've always used that as a bit of litmus test on my tattoos. I've done the designs for all but 2 of my tats, and co-designed one of the two. I carry the designs around with me for 6 months or more to see if I change my mind about it, and finally, I ask myself if I'll be embarrassed to explain the tat to my grandkids. With the better part of 20 of them now, I don't regret any of them. So far, so good.

Ghostex - my first tattoo was done by a traditional artist in Okinawa, and includes my name in katakana. I also have a kanji character on my chest - "kimi", Japanese for ruler as in emperor, etc. - which is an inside joke between my wife & I. Her name is Kim, nickname is Kimi, and she's definitely my ruler!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DannyW's post
25-06-2012, 09:13 AM
(25-06-2012 06:22 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Well, I can mostly agree with you on that, Chas. I see a lot of tats on people that I'm pretty sure they'll regret later in life. If not, they probably should.

I've always used that as a bit of litmus test on my tattoos. I've done the designs for all but 2 of my tats, and co-designed one of the two. I carry the designs around with me for 6 months or more to see if I change my mind about it, and finally, I ask myself if I'll be embarrassed to explain the tat to my grandkids. With the better part of 20 of them now, I don't regret any of them. So far, so good.

Ghostex - my first tattoo was done by a traditional artist in Okinawa, and includes my name in katakana. I also have a kanji character on my chest - "kimi", Japanese for ruler as in emperor, etc. - which is an inside joke between my wife & I. Her name is Kim, nickname is Kimi, and she's definitely my ruler!
I've occasionally thought about getting some ink. My father had two tattoos that he got in England during WWII; I suspect alcohol was involved. Yes

One I have considered (prompted by this thread) is the red script A of the Out Campaign. But where? Shoulder? Forearm? Forehead? No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-06-2012, 08:09 AM
3 pages and I have yet to reply. I feel horrible.

I still love the tattoo. This wasn't something I just decided to do one day. I have had this design in mind for the last 10 years and finally got the courage to get it done. Now that I have that courage I am hooked. My tattoo artist is going to start drawing up my new sleeve in the next couple of weeks. Its going to start with the big bang at my left shoulder and progress to the planets towards my wrist. My own little history of the universe.

I would never get a tattoo that had little meaning or one that was decided in a short period of time. I also subscribe to the thought that we only live once. No reason to not live life to the fullest. For some that might not mean getting a few tattoos. For me it does. To each their own.
29-06-2012, 08:10 AM
(25-06-2012 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 06:22 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Well, I can mostly agree with you on that, Chas. I see a lot of tats on people that I'm pretty sure they'll regret later in life. If not, they probably should.

I've occasionally thought about getting some ink. My father had two tattoos that he got in England during WWII; I suspect alcohol was involved. Yes

One I have considered (prompted by this thread) is the red script A of the Out Campaign. But where? Shoulder? Forearm? Forehead? No
My father got a couple tattoo's quite a few years ago and he regrets both of them today. Even he admits neither had any sort of meaning. They just looked cool at the time.
29-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I can't even express how much this tattoo means to me. Growing up I was picked on to the point that I still deal with the effects today. The only thing that allowed me to escape this hell was baseball and listening to Dave Niehaus and the Mariners on the radio. I know a lot of people get their favorite teams tattooed on their bodies. For me this is so much more. Baseball has kept me afloat. I know that might be cheesy but there are times I wonder what would have happened if I did not have that escape. I might not be here today.
29-06-2012, 08:27 AM
(29-06-2012 08:09 AM)riseinside Wrote:  3 pages and I have yet to reply. I feel horrible.

As you should. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-06-2012, 08:34 AM
(29-06-2012 08:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 08:09 AM)riseinside Wrote:  3 pages and I have yet to reply. I feel horrible.

As you should. Angel
lol believe me I do. Its been hectic around here though.