My "Fishies" Died

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2014, 10:05 PM
My "Fishies" Died
FB Post:

With the exception of betta fish, I have totally lost my trust in still water tanks! Ugh! Two shrimp, one plecostamus, and one African frog all past away by today! I don't understand. I used the right food, cleaned the tank 1 time since we bought them 4 days ago, used water stabilization tablets, and still they don't survive! Ugh...time to do more homework and invest in a tank equipped with pumps that oxygenate the water and circulate it. Sigh...RIP: Tik and Tok the shrimp, Gus the plecostamus, and Bob the African frog. May you all live on knowing we cared. Now to attend to our only survive, Hinata the Betta fish. I am so disappointed.

Didn't notice how impulsive I was to leave a "after life" reference. Woops...

Never the less, I am pretty irate. Anyone know enough marine biology to inform me on where I went wrong?
Well I guess not ocean (marine) but fresh water fish.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2014, 10:11 PM
RE: My "Fishies" Died
This is why I don't deal with fish. They can be very temperamental -- although they are pretty to look at.

I'm sorry. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-08-2014, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 09:28 AM by LadyJane.)
If you just got them 4 days ago it is most likely the cleaning or the temperature. Since they all passed I am betting it is something with how you processed the water to make it safe, even if you did what you thought were the right amounts per litre/gallon. Something was off and aquarium environments are so finicky.

I wouldn't count beta fish out of the easy to kill group. Mine both died because my fishy sitter over fed them last week while I was away. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-08-2014, 05:20 AM
I would like to thank you all for reminding me that I don't need to start an aquarium again. I recently moved and have come across my large octagon tank, a goldfish bowl and two small 1 gallon tanks that my daughters had "fair" fish in ( you know those fish you win at the fair).

I thought about getting something for the new house, but now,,,,,no, tanks will go the garage. Smile

I forgot how picky fish were.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Forgot to add: I am sorry you both have lost your pets.

Years ago we had a fish that would jump out of his tank by the little slot in tank where the filter water went in ( he must have been pretending to be a salmon going up stream). Anytime someone walked by he would try to jump out. Sometimes he was successful, and was usually lucky that someone would stop and pick him up and throw him back in, except for that last time.

Another fish would let me pet it during feedings, my toddler nieces and nephews loved it.

04-08-2014, 06:15 AM
There is a lot to learn about how to keep fish.

Go to a pet store and buy a water test kit. Test your water and you will likely find the cause. Remember, you are trying to create an entire eco system in there, resulting in the perfect balance of things for the fish.

You have to cycle the tank before getting your favorite fish. That is most likely what went wrong.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/cycling.php

Don't give up, a healthy tank is so much fun and very relaxing. But you need to learn shit first.

I have a 65 gallon fresh water tank and I love it!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
04-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Yes, you need to have the water just right for at least a day, a couple would be better before adding fish, and you have to get them used to it slowly. Temperature and changing from whatever is in the bag to what you have.

Gradual changes on everything. Also be sure to disinfect the tank/tubes, etc Many times pet store fish (and plants) have ick or other fish illnesses or snails. So consider the source too.

I have also found that the air bubbler really improves life in the tank, but would probably depend on what you have.

04-08-2014, 06:38 AM
And if it sits in the sun, or near an a/c vent it can change temperature. Also the sun and extra lighting can make algae grow, or mold.

04-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Don't clean fish tanks with soap. When you are introducing fish to a new tank, you would be better of not cleaning it for a at least a week. Most people have problems with a fishes Ph balance and with destroying good bacteria. Fish don't do well in tap water in a spotless tank, and that is (usually) why they die off so quickly.

I am sorry about your fish Sad .
04-08-2014, 05:23 PM
(03-08-2014 10:05 PM)Quantum1Connect Wrote:  FB Post:

With the exception of betta fish, I have totally lost my trust in still water tanks! Ugh! Two shrimp, one plecostamus, and one African frog all past away by today! I don't understand. I used the right food, cleaned the tank 1 time since we bought them 4 days ago, used water stabilization tablets, and still they don't survive! Ugh...time to do more homework and invest in a tank equipped with pumps that oxygenate the water and circulate it. Sigh...RIP: Tik and Tok the shrimp, Gus the plecostamus, and Bob the African frog. May you all live on knowing we cared. Now to attend to our only survive, Hinata the Betta fish. I am so disappointed.

Aww so sorry to hear. I love aquariums too, but fish can be so touchy. You spend all that time & money, just to find them belly-up sometimes. Unsure

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain