My Flight (a rant)

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
23-02-2014, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 09:42 AM by WitchSabrina.)
My Flight (a rant)
So I'm on Southwest Airlines yesterday flying home from California and isn't the woman next to me some batshit crazy christian who apparently thinks EVERYone near her needs prayer? Are you kidding me??

Let me set the stage: I am in the middle seat between this nutjob and a 10 yr old flying alone. Yes, the little boy is hooked to a game device including ear buds - but there's NO NOT HEARING this woman spew prayer.

but She's not stupid. Every time a flight attendant comes nearby our prayer queen gets quiet. Blink She has a couple of bibles on her lap that she's scribbling in - marking passages and a couple of books on her lap that Explain the Bible "Understanding the Bible" was one. She's furiously flipping from book to book making notes and furiously flipping to bible pages --- Yellow stickies are all over the back of the seat in front of her, the window, etc.
And she's praying out loud over and over and over
"Jesus Lord, our blessed savior, save everyone on this plane today............. blah blah blah" "Christ Jesus save us from our sins..."

you get the idea.

Plane was packed. PACKED. There was Nowhere for me to move and no where for the little boy to be moved (that was my first thought). Prayer woman is quiet when the attendants are near so I don't really say anything to them ShockingShockingShocking
AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the flight attendant served drinks I kinda nodded my head towards the insanity next to me. She looked puzzled at the yellow stickies everywhere. What a flight. Close to 3 hours of this shit. Unbelievable. More page flipping and book slamming on her lap. More prayer. More stickies. More book flapping- switching and twitching. Prayer Prayer Prayer........ "Jesus save us sinners..." Furiously marking passages in the bible. Almost as if she was preparing for some sort of conference.

OMG

When the flight was over and I had only a few mins to get from the first flight to my connecting flight I talked to the guy at the Southwest Counter at my next gate. I explained what happened. Moreso for the child next to me who was quite trapped and exposed to this crap. Apparently Southwest has a policy against such behavior. I *could* have spoken to a flight attendant and they'd have moved the woman or told her to stop. BUT I gave them her description and what seat she sat in AND she'll be hearing from Southwest.
Also -- I'll be getting a letter from Southwest for the discomfort I endured.

So............
moral of the story ---- you do NOT have to put up with this sort of crap on a cramped, fully packed airplane. You Do Not. Airlines have rules against this behavior. I didn't know this - but next time - if there's a next time - I will know.

*sigh*

When the plane stopped taxing at the gate and I stood up for my case in the overhead compartment --- she "blessed" me and I said "You are BATSHIT crazy!!! BATshit crazy." And everyone near us agreed. One guy clapped and said "YES BATshit crazy!!!" I was Soooo pissed off at what I'd endured for HOURS.Hobo

assholes.............. just think they can BARF their fucking religion anywhere, anytime on anyone.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like WitchSabrina's post
23-02-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: My Flight (a rant)
Witchy,
Why didn't you fly on your broom or at least hex the woman?

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
23-02-2014, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 09:56 AM by CleverUsername.)
This is probably going to sound mean, but if there was ever a perfect time for some problems with a flight, that sounds like it'd be it. Or at least some extreme turbulence.
23-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Slip a note to the flight attendant - This woman next to me is making prayers non stop and keeps saying the words "plane crash".
She is acting like we are all going to die. When she opened her bible it looked like the interior pages had been cut out with something inside it. I couldn't see what it was.
I don't feel safe near this woman.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
23-02-2014, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 10:00 AM by WitchSabrina.)
Well I didn't think she was dangerous for the flight. Just crazy. But yes I should have slipped a note to the flight attendant of her behavior.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
23-02-2014, 10:30 AM
And here I thought the screaming baby was bad. You win this round.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
23-02-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't fly any more, haven't in a long time. It's become such a pain and I would really rather drive.

A few years ago my job, at the time, sent me from SC to CA every March for a conference. The first time my boss booked a flight for me he asked if I had a seating preference, I told him the 'No Children' section. Actually my only preference is a window seat. I am fairly small, can do just fine in my little corner of the plane, and I don't have people climbing over me to get out of the row. But you are trapped, I mean really trapped.

One of the last coast-to-coast flights I was on I got to sit with two women who were bonding over the Left Behind series. This was their follow up to nearly two hours of discussing acne (in gross and TMI detail) and the side effects of treatment. Riveting, I tell you...riveting.

Thank science for the technology to be able to stuff earbuds in and drown out some of the crazy.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Should have told her to shut her face (or be nicer if you felt she deserved it) and that no one wants to listen. Probably would have gotten applause from grateful passengers.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-02-2014, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 11:27 AM by Logica Humano.)
Considering I have flown around the damn world, I empathize. Together we will form a coalition of public defenders that will employ the extension cords attached to the sound jacks around assholes' necks and eat peanuts while squeezing their life from their miserabl-

What the fuck am I saying? I'd just put my earbuds in and jam out to "heathen" music.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
23-02-2014, 10:58 AM
(23-02-2014 09:38 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So I'm on Southwest Airlines yesterday flying home from California and isn't the woman next to me some batshit crazy christian who apparently thinks EVERYone near her needs prayer? Are you kidding me??

Let me set the stage: I am in the middle seat between this nutjob and a 10 yr old flying alone. Yes, the little boy is hooked to a game device including ear buds - but there's NO NOT HEARING this woman spew prayer.

but She's not stupid. Every time a flight attendant comes nearby our prayer queen gets quiet. Blink She has a couple of bibles on her lap that she's scribbling in - marking passages and a couple of books on her lap that Explain the Bible "Understanding the Bible" was one. She's furiously flipping from book to book making notes and furiously flipping to bible pages --- Yellow stickies are all over the back of the seat in front of her, the window, etc.
And she's praying out loud over and over and over
"Jesus Lord, our blessed savior, save everyone on this plane today............. blah blah blah" "Christ Jesus save us from our sins..."

you get the idea.

Plane was packed. PACKED. There was Nowhere for me to move and no where for the little boy to be moved (that was my first thought). Prayer woman is quiet when the attendants are near so I don't really say anything to them ShockingShockingShocking
AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the flight attendant served drinks I kinda nodded my head towards the insanity next to me. She looked puzzled at the yellow stickies everywhere. What a flight. Close to 3 hours of this shit. Unbelievable. More page flipping and book slamming on her lap. More prayer. More stickies. More book flapping- switching and twitching. Prayer Prayer Prayer........ "Jesus save us sinners..." Furiously marking passages in the bible. Almost as if she was preparing for some sort of conference.

OMG

When the flight was over and I had only a few mins to get from the first flight to my connecting flight I talked to the guy at the Southwest Counter at my next gate. I explained what happened. Moreso for the child next to me who was quite trapped and exposed to this crap. Apparently Southwest has a policy against such behavior. I *could* have spoken to a flight attendant and they'd have moved the woman or told her to stop. BUT I gave them her description and what seat she sat in AND she'll be hearing from Southwest.
Also -- I'll be getting a letter from Southwest for the discomfort I endured.

So............
moral of the story ---- you do NOT have to put up with this sort of crap on a cramped, fully packed airplane. You Do Not. Airlines have rules against this behavior. I didn't know this - but next time - if there's a next time - I will know.

*sigh*

When the plane stopped taxing at the gate and I stood up for my case in the overhead compartment --- she "blessed" me and I said "You are BATSHIT crazy!!! BATshit crazy." And everyone near us agreed. One guy clapped and said "YES BATshit crazy!!!" I was Soooo pissed off at what I'd endured for HOURS.Hobo

assholes.............. just think they can BARF their fucking religion anywhere, anytime on anyone.

I don't know where I first read it, but this is the best way I have ever heard it put when it comes to people spouting their religious crap:

"Religion is like a penis: It's o.k. to have one. It's even o.k. to be proud of it. But don't go waving it around in public, and please don't try to force it down the throats of my children."

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 9 users Like WindyCityJazz's post