My Flight (a rant)

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
24-02-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: My Flight (a rant)
(23-02-2014 09:38 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So I'm on Southwest Airlines yesterday flying home from California and isn't the woman next to me some batshit crazy christian who apparently thinks EVERYone near her needs prayer? Are you kidding me??

Let me set the stage: I am in the middle seat between this nutjob and a 10 yr old flying alone. Yes, the little boy is hooked to a game device including ear buds - but there's NO NOT HEARING this woman spew prayer.

but She's not stupid. Every time a flight attendant comes nearby our prayer queen gets quiet. Blink She has a couple of bibles on her lap that she's scribbling in - marking passages and a couple of books on her lap that Explain the Bible "Understanding the Bible" was one. She's furiously flipping from book to book making notes and furiously flipping to bible pages --- Yellow stickies are all over the back of the seat in front of her, the window, etc.
And she's praying out loud over and over and over
"Jesus Lord, our blessed savior, save everyone on this plane today............. blah blah blah" "Christ Jesus save us from our sins..."

you get the idea.

Plane was packed. PACKED. There was Nowhere for me to move and no where for the little boy to be moved (that was my first thought). Prayer woman is quiet when the attendants are near so I don't really say anything to them ShockingShockingShocking
AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the flight attendant served drinks I kinda nodded my head towards the insanity next to me. She looked puzzled at the yellow stickies everywhere. What a flight. Close to 3 hours of this shit. Unbelievable. More page flipping and book slamming on her lap. More prayer. More stickies. More book flapping- switching and twitching. Prayer Prayer Prayer........ "Jesus save us sinners..." Furiously marking passages in the bible. Almost as if she was preparing for some sort of conference.

OMG

When the flight was over and I had only a few mins to get from the first flight to my connecting flight I talked to the guy at the Southwest Counter at my next gate. I explained what happened. Moreso for the child next to me who was quite trapped and exposed to this crap. Apparently Southwest has a policy against such behavior. I *could* have spoken to a flight attendant and they'd have moved the woman or told her to stop. BUT I gave them her description and what seat she sat in AND she'll be hearing from Southwest.
Also -- I'll be getting a letter from Southwest for the discomfort I endured.

So............
moral of the story ---- you do NOT have to put up with this sort of crap on a cramped, fully packed airplane. You Do Not. Airlines have rules against this behavior. I didn't know this - but next time - if there's a next time - I will know.

*sigh*

When the plane stopped taxing at the gate and I stood up for my case in the overhead compartment --- she "blessed" me and I said "You are BATSHIT crazy!!! BATshit crazy." And everyone near us agreed. One guy clapped and said "YES BATshit crazy!!!" I was Soooo pissed off at what I'd endured for HOURS.Hobo

assholes.............. just think they can BARF their fucking religion anywhere, anytime on anyone.
Ugh!
My thoughts would be to confront her with atheist debate points. No doubt it would have no impact on her viewpoint, but it would be better than listening to that praying crap for 3 hours.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 11:13 AM
not even one loud 'bullshit' cough?

glad you eventually got to have your say and like others have said I'm glad that you were between her and the kid.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-02-2014, 11:33 AM
(24-02-2014 11:13 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  not even one loud 'bullshit' cough?

glad you eventually got to have your say and like others have said I'm glad that you were between her and the kid.

Right?
Can you imagine had that kid been right next to her? Sadcryface

That was the major point I drove home when I spoke to the SW attendant who filled out the paperwork. Really bad to subject ANYone but especially a child to such blatant proselytizing.

Appalling I tell ya. Absolutely appalling.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
24-02-2014, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 11:40 AM by WitchSabrina.)
(24-02-2014 11:01 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 09:38 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So I'm on Southwest Airlines yesterday flying home from California and isn't the woman next to me some batshit crazy christian who apparently thinks EVERYone near her needs prayer? Are you kidding me??

Let me set the stage: I am in the middle seat between this nutjob and a 10 yr old flying alone. Yes, the little boy is hooked to a game device including ear buds - but there's NO NOT HEARING this woman spew prayer.

but She's not stupid. Every time a flight attendant comes nearby our prayer queen gets quiet. Blink She has a couple of bibles on her lap that she's scribbling in - marking passages and a couple of books on her lap that Explain the Bible "Understanding the Bible" was one. She's furiously flipping from book to book making notes and furiously flipping to bible pages --- Yellow stickies are all over the back of the seat in front of her, the window, etc.
And she's praying out loud over and over and over
"Jesus Lord, our blessed savior, save everyone on this plane today............. blah blah blah" "Christ Jesus save us from our sins..."

you get the idea.

Plane was packed. PACKED. There was Nowhere for me to move and no where for the little boy to be moved (that was my first thought). Prayer woman is quiet when the attendants are near so I don't really say anything to them ShockingShockingShocking
AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the flight attendant served drinks I kinda nodded my head towards the insanity next to me. She looked puzzled at the yellow stickies everywhere. What a flight. Close to 3 hours of this shit. Unbelievable. More page flipping and book slamming on her lap. More prayer. More stickies. More book flapping- switching and twitching. Prayer Prayer Prayer........ "Jesus save us sinners..." Furiously marking passages in the bible. Almost as if she was preparing for some sort of conference.

OMG

When the flight was over and I had only a few mins to get from the first flight to my connecting flight I talked to the guy at the Southwest Counter at my next gate. I explained what happened. Moreso for the child next to me who was quite trapped and exposed to this crap. Apparently Southwest has a policy against such behavior. I *could* have spoken to a flight attendant and they'd have moved the woman or told her to stop. BUT I gave them her description and what seat she sat in AND she'll be hearing from Southwest.
Also -- I'll be getting a letter from Southwest for the discomfort I endured.

So............
moral of the story ---- you do NOT have to put up with this sort of crap on a cramped, fully packed airplane. You Do Not. Airlines have rules against this behavior. I didn't know this - but next time - if there's a next time - I will know.

*sigh*

When the plane stopped taxing at the gate and I stood up for my case in the overhead compartment --- she "blessed" me and I said "You are BATSHIT crazy!!! BATshit crazy." And everyone near us agreed. One guy clapped and said "YES BATshit crazy!!!" I was Soooo pissed off at what I'd endured for HOURS.Hobo

assholes.............. just think they can BARF their fucking religion anywhere, anytime on anyone.
Ugh!
My thoughts would be to confront her with atheist debate points. No doubt it would have no impact on her viewpoint, but it would be better than listening to that praying crap for 3 hours.

Yanno - you're right, of course. I was fighting a headache. Get bad headaches when I fly. And it did cross my mind to confront her outright. But her twitching and flipping of book and book and yellow stickies and jabbering and twitching........Oh. My. God. I think I was just soooo put-off I didn't really know What to do.
Talk about being taken aback.

Here I start to think the world is evolving so dropping back to the middle ages and witch burning and "to kill the infidel is not murder" crusade type talk just....
dunno....... knocked me off my ass.

I may not be describing the scene well enough for how bad it really was.

Weeping

I did say several times while sitting there:
"You've got to be kidding me" Which no doubt she never heard for she very much lived in her own little world of prayer.

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
24-02-2014, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 11:53 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(24-02-2014 11:37 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 11:01 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Ugh!

Yanno - you're right, of course. I was fighting a headache. Get bad headaches when I fly. And it did cross my mind to confront her outright. But her twitching and flipping of book and book and yellow stickies and jabbering and twitching........Oh. My. God. I think I was just soooo put-off I didn't really know What to do.
Talk about being taken aback.

Here I start to think the world is evolving so dropping back to the middle ages and witch burning and "to kill the infidel is not murder" crusade type talk just....
dunno....... knocked me off my ass.

I may not be describing the scene well enough for how bad it really was.

Weeping

I did say several times while sitting there:
"You've got to be kidding me" Which no doubt she never heard for she very much lived in her own little world of prayer.

"Hi, dear, I see you are a Christian. Would you like a nice fresh Brownie? How about a lollipop? Lemon candy? Cheeba Chew? Oh, yeah, that's like a new kind of Tootsie Roll. They're soooooo good, you can't eat just one...here, have a handful....and don't forget the cookies...mmmmmm.....nummy cookies....no, sure, it's OK, really -- take the whole bag....OMG ARE THOSE GIANT SPIDERS IN YOUR HAIR????"

Evil_monster

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
24-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Your post got me curious, I found a few that i might save to a note in my phone- in case I ever need to shut one up.

Exodus 14:14 ESV
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Lamentations 3:26 ESV
It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

Proverbs 10:8 ESV
The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin.

Proverbs 13:3 ESV
Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-02-2014, 12:01 PM
(24-02-2014 11:55 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Your post got me curious, I found a few that i might save to a note in my phone- in case I ever need to shut one up.

The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin.

Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

So you feel it's better to shut one up by quoting scripture? See to me that would feel very dishonest. I don't quote scripture as a rule........
just don't see myself doing that.

but..... my solution of 'doing nothing' but complaining later sure wasn't the answer. LOL

24-02-2014, 12:05 PM
(24-02-2014 12:01 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  but..... my solution of 'doing nothing' but complaining later sure wasn't the answer. LOL

Next time you come through Colorado I'll take you shopping at our wonderful candy stores....heh...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
24-02-2014, 12:08 PM
(24-02-2014 12:01 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 11:55 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Your post got me curious, I found a few that i might save to a note in my phone- in case I ever need to shut one up.

So you feel it's better to shut one up by quoting scripture? See to me that would feel very dishonest. I don't quote scripture as a rule........

but..... my solution of 'doing nothing' but complaining later sure wasn't the answer. LOL

no I'm not a bible quoter usually, but I do know sometimes its the only words that will 'hear'. kind of a fight fire with fire approach.

i would have to be provoked…..for three hours in close quarters….heheehee. j/k

glad you survived without losing your mind.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-02-2014, 12:19 PM
(24-02-2014 12:08 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 12:01 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So you feel it's better to shut one up by quoting scripture? See to me that would feel very dishonest. I don't quote scripture as a rule........

no I'm not a bible quoter usually, but I do know sometimes its the only words that will 'hear'. kind of a fight fire with fire approach.

i would have to be provoked…..for three hours in close quarters….heheehee. j/k

glad you survived without losing your mind.

Well since she was Such a die-hard your approach of quietening her with scripture might BE the best idea. (?)