My Frustrating Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2018, 08:02 AM
My Frustrating Life
I graduated college ten years ago with a Bachelor's degree in Communication. But despite that, I still cannot find a job with a real career path. I just keep finding myself stuck at one dead end low paying job after another. And if that was how I wanted to live my life, I could've easily done so without putting myself over $65,000 in student loan debt, which I still don't make enough money to manage. And every time I do build myself up at a job, I eventually lose the job or move on and end losing everything I've worked for. I've been wanting to get out of Oklahoma for several years, and I finally moved to Ohio in 2015 with some help from my sister. But here I am back in Oklahoma all over again. It just all feels like a never-ending Sisyphean cycle.

My family all live far away in Tripoli, Libya; and it's rare that I ever get see any of them, if at all. Last time I tried going back there, I was unable to obtain a visa. They assure me that I'm welcome to come back and teach English, which in itself sounds like it could be a good opportunity; as long as I'm willing to be stuck in a financial black hole in a country with one of the world's most devastated economies and worst exchange rates, freedom of speech is a distant pipedream, and the local culture kills any opportunity to meet and get to know any women.

And I've been chronically single for the past ten years: I'm shy to begin with, and it seems impossible to meet women who single, whom I like, and like me. I've been on several dating sites over the years; it seems that the majority of women on there are never serious and never agree to actually meet, and on the few occasions someone did, there was just no chemistry Sad. And I feel that even I did find someone, given all the financial struggles I'm having, that I have no business getting involved in a relationship anyway.

Add to all that my anxiety, depression, and possible undiagnosed autism; and I seriously feel like my life is just going nowhere. Some of my Christian friends like to quote "This too shall pass", but after ten years it really feels like it never will.

So there are my First World Problems. Feel free to mock away. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Defcon Omega's post
26-02-2018, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2018 08:19 AM by BikerDude.)
RE: My Frustrating Life
Go for something like a Real Estate Brokers license.
Or insurance broker.
It's quick and you "can" make good money at it.
I know a guy who went for that out of high school
He worked his ass off. Went around to all the car dealerships and connected with every sales person and promised them $50 for every new policy that they got for him.
And he'd have cards there right away. When they sell a car they want to get it out the door and some guy who will write the policy and physically bring the cards over right away is a big deal.
Today he has a big shiny 20 story building with his name on it.
Last time I saw him he was driving a Porche Cayenne.
But he started out working his ass off.
Today he manages a whole company of people.
They call him at his place on Cape Cod when he's not around.
Never graduated college. Just worked hard.

If you aren't of the sales ilk there are other certificate things in health care. Xray for instance.
They take like a year I think.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
26-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Thought about going into nursing, Just need to save up for the school. Also tried getting back into college to get a degree in Arabic. I'm fluent but don't have any degree or certificate that indicates that. But I couldn't get the financial aid I needed.
26-02-2018, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2018 09:14 AM by BikerDude.)
(26-02-2018 08:35 AM)Defcon Omega Wrote:  Thought about going into nursing, Just need to save up for the school. Also tried getting back into college to get a degree in Arabic. I'm fluent but don't have any degree or certificate that indicates that. But I couldn't get the financial aid I needed.

You have a degree in Communications and you are fluent in Arabic?
Have you applied to the FBI or department of State?
CIA?
And you come from Libia and have a strong understanding of the culture?
Sounds pretty marketable in that circle to me.
All that stuff.
Hell the military might have work for you that wouldn't involve grunt work.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportunitie...index.html
https://www.fbijobs.gov/career-paths/language-analysts

An article about language skill jobs.
The Army, NYPD and State Department can't get enough workers with this job skill. Neither can Fortune 500 companies, hospitals, local courts and schools.
What is it? Fluency in a foreign language.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/30/news/eco...index.html

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 3 users Like BikerDude's post
26-02-2018, 09:37 AM
That is frustrating, and it's a credit to you that you haven't given up. I don't have great suggestions, but the ones I would make are checking in with your alma mater to use any career placement/networking services it might have, and maybe looking for work as a translator? Hospitals and government offices need them especially; I don't know how demanding they are about credentials. Maybe you'd need to locate somewhere with a higher proportion of Arabic-speaking residents, but with a good job it might be worth it.

I was about your age, a decade out of college, feeling dissatisfied and at loose ends, when I moved from Chicago to Boston without knowing anyone in Boston or having a solid job. It turned out to be a great decision, even though it was a big risk and the first year or so was rough.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
26-02-2018, 10:02 AM
If Arabic is your native language, you should not need a certificate.

Just put it in your resume and go on interviews.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-02-2018, 10:10 AM
I'll chime in with the others who have said that a Communications degree and fluency in Arabic is a great combination. There are tons of job opportunities working for the government if you want to go that way, and they will test your language skills and rate you. Or a multi-national company with ties to Mideast countries. There are even freelance translation jobs you can do on the computer part-time.

Just as a sample of freelance: https://www.upwork.com/o/jobs/browse/skill/arabic/

Or do a web search for jobs/Arabic linguist. You will find tons like this:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/arabic-speaking-jobs
https://www.indeed.com/q-Arabic-Linguist...-jobs.html

Salaries for Arabic linguists in the USA: https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job...tor/Salary

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
26-02-2018, 10:55 AM
I think the others are correct about your communication skills and your language abilities. You just need to find the company or branch of the government that could use your talents. With everybody people yelling at each other around the world these days I'd think that communication skills are a hot commodity.

I wanted to add that you seem like a pretty neat person. You have a sense of humor and a cool personality and your smart. Please stick around because I'm pretty damned sick of the regular people here. ( not really, I'm just funnin' with you guys Big Grin Heart )

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-02-2018, 07:45 PM
I appreciate all the support. I've been trying to figure out government jobs for years, but I can't seem to get anywhere with them. I've applied several times, but I just keep getting ignored. I really have no clue why. Sad

As for Upwork, I tried it; but it seems nobody will give me a chance if I don't already have user reviews.